Nikon D800......

A recent D800 I got appears to be way better than the copy I had a number of years ago

Personally I think it's a much better camera than the D750 I have !

I seriously considered the Nokton 58mm f1.4 and the 40mm f2 ultron, but already have too many ~50mm lenses. (and their performance isn't miles ahead of my old nikon 50's) I might still get a 40 as it's beautifully small, incredibly sharp and supposedly has fantastic bokeh. If a used APO-lanthar turned up for a sensible price I'd snap it up in an instant. (particularly the 125mm macro) That set of three lenses (90, 125, 180) were among the best they have ever made, on par with the 135 APO-Sonnar.

The color skopar wide angle pancakes aren't particularly sharp towards the edges until they are stopped down past f5.6. Older nikon ai primes are superior to these but are obviously bigger and heavier. Modern AF versions are vastly superior but even bigger again. The 20mm voigtlander couldn't hold a candle to the 20 f1.8 G for sharpness but it's certainly a well built dinky little lens.

Two from this morning. I'm really liking the tokina 100mm macro. (definitely as good as the tamron 90 I had for canon)

Camellia by Kyle, on Flickr

Periwinkle by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just to provide an update on my D810 problems, been out again with it this afternoon with a different card and different lenses but same problem. Camera freezes when shooting in Continuous High and the battery needs to be taken out to reset it. In the process of emailing Panamoz to get it sorted.

That's a shame John [emoji17]

Kyle, that second shot is lovely, the water droplets are perfect [emoji106]

At 24mm how does the 24mm ART compared to the 24-70f2.8 or 16=35 at 24mm say at F8 and F11?

@ST4 Went through my LR catalogue and found these - not comparative subjects I know but gives an idea at f8.0 (the seascape is the 16-35 Nikon and if I remember correctly was with a polariser) They're all handheld and full size on Flickr

DSC_7808 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_7098 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_1682 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Last edited:
Doh... duplicate :(

Anyway.... link to the actual "Flowers" shot .... RAW --- JPG (35 MB)

ETA. ... To include @minnnt

Last edited:
Some really nice images in this thread. Should visit more often.

As you can see I'm not really a Landscape Tog, but I've been playing around with a D810 that came my way (Don't Ask), and this is one of the shots that I did last fall.

D810, 24-85mm Nikon Lens @ 40mm, 1/250th @ F8, 100-ISO, Handheld.
Outer Harbour (Folkestone)-82271 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

As you can see I'm not really a Landscape Tog, but I've been playing around with a D810 that came my way (Don't Ask), and this is one of the shots that I did last fall.

D810, 24-85mm Nikon Lens @ 40mm, 1/250th @ F8, 100-ISO, Handheld.
Outer Harbour (Folkestone)-82271 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y)

George.

Hi George, that's a nice image, good composition and very pleasing colours [emoji106]

Bit of a different shot from me, shot this Fuji XE1 body earlier today (cause I'm selling it) using my Yongnuo flash gun for the first time, Tripod with mirror up, iso 64, @ f5, shutter release cable;

X-E1 front by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

And that's why we're here - sometimes the 8xx files are just damn lovely - nice and sharp Pete [emoji106]

Hi George, that's a nice image, good composition and very pleasing colours [emoji106]

Many thanks Gregg, appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

^^
Loch Awesome more like :)

Great set (again)

Reactions: ST4
Lovely shots above Steve - wOOw

Just a question about using a Nikkor VR lens on a tripod, is it best to turn the VR switch to the OFF position?

Had camera on tripod today and forgot about switching off VR and there was tiny movements whilst looking through the viewfinder on the D810 etc...

Reactions: ST4

Just a question about using a Nikkor VR lens on a tripod, is it best to turn the VR switch to the OFF position?

Had camera on tripod today and forgot about switching off VR and there was tiny movements whilst looking through the viewfinder on the D810 etc...

yes Peter always turn it off, mind you I forget to often as well

Many of you guys using the Samyang 14mm on the D800? Testing mine out on the camera today and it's really sharp even at 2.8 !

Managed to squeeze in 20 mins locally yesterday,

View attachment 56567

View attachment 56568

View attachment 56569

Lovely photos along with Steves (ST4).

How are you finding the D800 Gregg after coming from the D750? I will have a few months off from photography due to shoulder and elbow operations and I have this urge for a D810 for my bird photography, due to the cropping abilities. Thinking of selling up and starting again with the 810, I wanted one but it was out of my price range last year when I changed back to Nikon.

Bought a new i7 puter before Christmas so okay there.

Hi, in a word I love it! The 750 is awesome but for me the 800 is a detail monster which I love, and the crop ability is very very impressive. The only thing I miss is the flippy screen. You won't regret the switch over if you do it [emoji106]

Cheers.

Turn off VR on tripod. VR works by creating tiny movements to offset handshake.

Tripod. Mirror lock up, focus in live view manually and use self timer or cable release.

Quality starts in camera.

Cheers.

Turn off VR on tripod. VR works by creating tiny movements to offset handshake.

Tripod. Mirror lock up, focus in live view manually and use self timer or cable release.

Quality starts in camera.

:agree: Very sound advice Steve.(y)

George.

Back