Nikon D800......

The shutter is an amazing change from the D800. I just wish they still did the interchangeable finders like the F5. I have to make do with the DK-17m magnifier instead of an action finder. (which I'm still trying to find for my F5)

My little FX collection
FX FTW :) by Kyle, on Flickr

I forgot about trying to sort that out in LR5 Steve.

You'll cut off the left hand side of the building if you "keystone" it.

Quality starts in camera from using shift movements, to getting the composition right, to getting a good exposure balanced with grads or filled with flash as appropriate.

You can enhance what's already there but no PP will turn a bad image into a good one

I don't tend to use those older AI-s lenses as much now, but they are remarkably good performers. Usual kit I tend to use is an AF-S 20mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AF micro and 80-200 f2.8 AF-D. Just bought a tokina 100mm f2.8 macro to add to the collection.

Very nice chaps.

That looks very cold there ST4!

The suns out tomorrow, get planning!

Anybody notice their back LCD is extremely over saturated, and shows huge amounts of noise that aren't present in the exported files? Just got a D800e and the preview images in camera look like they've had some dodgy instagram filter applied to them. Shooting RAW and have tried the camera colour profiles (although don't think they affect raw/preview anyway?).

It was one of the most striking things I noticed when I got this camera, and certainly want this way with any other bodies Ive had.

Last edited:
Back LCD view will be jpeg and I believe will reflect any settings in-camera e.g. Shooting Menu > Set picture control.

Didn't venture out today, forgot we had both a BT engineer and plumber book in today.

This pic isn't great, a clash with the background I know, and my 16-35mm lens isn't ideal for this style of photography (best I could do). I've a 50mm f1.8G arriving tomorrow.

Untitled by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anybody notice their back LCD is extremely over saturated, and shows huge amounts of noise that aren't present in the exported files? Just got a D800e and the preview images in camera look like they've had some dodgy instagram filter applied to them. Shooting RAW and have tried the camera colour profiles (although don't think they affect raw/preview anyway?).

It was one of the most striking things I noticed when I got this camera, and certainly want this way with any other bodies Ive had.
Back LCD view will be jpeg and I believe will reflect any settings in-camera e.g. Shooting Menu > Set picture control.
Roger is correct, any jpeg settings made in camera will affect how the image appears on the rear lcd irrespective of what format you are shooting in. I find setting jpeg to neutral (flat on my D810) and adding a tad of sharpening gives me as close as needs be to how the raw is recorded (i.e. before any pp). It also helps me when using the histograms and blinkies.

Gregg;

Stop it stop it....! I'll have to pick up a 20mm at some stage, those two images are SUBLIME, just check out the detail/sharpness/clean files, a--maz--ing photography.

You could easily sell these captures. Beautiful work...............and talent. Your really working that D800E and mastering it very well.

:)

Thanks Pete, too kind honestly, I've a long way to go but I am soooo in love with this combo [emoji3][emoji3]

And I'm still in shock at the detail at 100% crop, it's just silly!

Some very nice work there Gregg, good comp', with spot on exposure giving amazing detail in the shadows & highlights.(y)

George.

Thanks ST, no just the 20mm, but you never know, I may feel like I need more width soon

Reactions: ST4
Back