Nikon D800......

I've posted photos in here before ;)

Nice job, you should be able to pull tonnes of details out of the shadows too, if you wanted to that is.

I've posted photos in here before ;)

Nice job, you should be able to pull tonnes of details out of the shadows too, if you wanted to that is.

Thanks.... I have pulled it up a bit but like you say, there is so much to play with if you want. Just playing with the sliders I noticed they even on the basic part of Lightroom you can almost max out the shadow slider before it seriously affects the quality. Brilliant dynamic range!

Image doesn't look particularly sharp to me. Although you are right the dynamic range is excellent and the files can really be tortured. What lenses are you using?

Image doesn't look particularly sharp to me. Although you are right the dynamic range is excellent and the files can really be tortured. What lenses are you using?

Did you read what I posted? It wasn't a challenge or claim of the sharpest image award. Just showing you can walk round and use the camera like you would any othe DSLR. When I go out on a proper landscape day out I will have tripod, filters etc and be looking for more but for a quick snap walking the dog, the above photo shows what I intended.

Ignore :D Laudrup has yet to show us one shot he's taken, though likes to think he is a critic ...

Did you read what I posted? It wasn't a challenge or claim of the sharpest image award. Just showing you can walk round and use the camera like you would any othe DSLR. When I go out on a proper landscape day out I will have tripod, filters etc and be looking for more but for a quick snap walking the dog, the above photo shows what I intended.

You did say check this out for handheld, but it looks like it was taken handheld which seems to be at odds with your point. It's a camera that will punish sloppy technique, so a tripod is definitely a good idea.

I'd be banned (again) for replying honestly to you cagey.

What I say is true, you haven't shown one shot you've taken, yet have an opinion on everyone else's.

It's a camera that will punish sloppy technique,

Exactly why did you question me "spot on with what?" - that ^ is exactly what I meant.

Last edited:
I think you can get an adaptor for it now so you can stick filters on. I've got the 16-35 and its fantastic, still very very sharp just not very very sharp + 1 like the 14-24

You can, aye. The Lee SW150 was made for the 14-24 but obviously comes at a price, especially when you also need to use the 150mm filter range.

Personally I'd prefer the Zeiss 15 but AFAIK you still can't use Lee filters, even the 150mm ones.

Image doesn't look particularly sharp to me.

How can you tell at the res he posted it at? I've got a £2500 monitor here and I'd not like to say whether that's sharp or not without seeing it much higher resolution version. Are you not seeing out of focus leaves in the foreground? It was shot at f4 you know.

Last edited:
this is why we dont get many images in here :(

I just googled that Lee SW150 thing, the price! theiving buggers. For a bit of molded plastic.

Last edited:
That aimed at me? I Was defending Mahone for posting it.

Well the photo doesn't warrant such scrutiny to be honest. Like I said I am a relative noob and was out walking the dog with camera in my bag. I took a few hand held shots which didn't come out too bad but obviously I could achieve better with a tripod and or better technique.

That said, I didn't buy this camera to obsess over the sharpness of the images. My interest in photography is varied and after a few days playing around with the D800 I can safely say it will serve me well as a day to day camera or for those trips up the Brecons etc with a tripod.

At least I posted a photo, not many in this thread!

Certain people, who always have an opinion on equipment, who have never posted a photograph, are quick to criticise others who do post pics, don`t take any notice bud.

Well... it is a discussion thread mainly. I think that's the reason there are not many images in it. There are more appropriate sections of the forums for images... but I do agree that many people on here are expounding about this lens, or that lens with the D800... "my lens is great" etc.. and not putting their money where their mouths are. That's a bit annoying.

As for hand held sharpness, I see no reason why the D800 should be any more difficult to get a sharp image from hand held than any other camera. I just think it's a case of "Oooh.. a D800 shot.. let's zoom in and have a look". So people are more critical.

I was lucky enough to be loaned a D800 and a D800E before I bought mine, and I purposely shot hand held because of all this nonsense and spent a day out in Blackpool taking nothing but hand held shots to test the cameras, and I found it no more difficult to shoot hand held than any other camera. You just end up being more critical, that's all.

All hand held.. and if memory serves me, using a Nikkor 50mm f1.8D as I didn't have a g series 50mm at the time, but the 1.8D is not a bad old thing.

Click for full res.. pixel peep away.

Perfectly sharp. It's like any camera. Hand hold at a 15th or a 30th and you're gonna be hit and miss... use a sensible shutter speed and why should the D800 be less capable of producing a sharp image?

Last edited:
Impressive at high res.

Hell, I can read her paper..................:LOL:

Sure is impressive detail, can not wait to get my hands on this camera, I may have to ask one of you guys (owners) for a untouched file to see if my laptop holds out ? Processing it etc

Last edited:
That aimed at me? I Was defending Mahone for posting it.

it was aimed at all 3 of you. Pooky, Laudrup and Cagey , the holy trinity of "opinionators" in here. Something starts, you all are guaranteed to wade in.

The other camera owner threads seem to be a lot more level headed than this one and people use whatever they use and enjoy it and others seem to actually enjoy them enjoying it. Here, everything is picked over in minutae, stirred up and argued about. Just fed up and tired of it all.

Love the pipe players shot though :) gorgeous colours

I'm fairly certain I added no additional sharpening to the second and third shot, but probably did to the first, as that's been edited, as someone wanted a copy of that. The last two however are literally straight off the camera if I remember correctly. I certainly have no recollection of editing them, as they're crap LOL

it was aimed at all 3 of you. Pooky, Laudrup and Cagey , the holy trinity of "opinionators" in here. Something starts, you all are guaranteed to wade in.

The other camera owner threads seem to be a lot more level headed than this one and people use whatever they use and enjoy it and others seem to actually enjoy them enjoying it. Here, everything is picked over in minutae, stirred up and argued about. Just fed up and tired of it all.

(y)(y) sadly all Nikon threads seem to be like this recently.

Sure is impressive detail, can not wait to get my hands on this camera, I may have to ask one of you guys (owners) for a untouched file to see if my laptop holds out ? Processing it etc
Hugh sent me a RAW file, I had to convert it as I have CS5 without any RAW reader for the 800 file,I converted it to a DNG, now my PC is pretty old and is not massive spec, 8gig Ram, it managed fine.

I was defending Mahone for actually putting an image where his opinion was. Despite what you think of me I don't see what the issue is. So many people are in expounding about whether you can, or can not effectively hand hold a D800, or whether this lens, or that lens is good enough... I think it's time for some images to back up some claims, otherwise it's all so much hot air.

You can hand hold a D800 as easily as any other camera. It's just a camera.

fracster said:
Hugh sent me a RAW file, I had to convert it as I have CS5 without any RAW reader for the 800 file,I converted it to a DNG, now my PC is pretty old and is not massive spec, 8gig Ram, it managed fine.

Many thanks

woohoo! I'm such a rebel :cool:

You mean we speak our minds yeah? Because that's all I ever do. I too was defending Mahone, he's only just come into the thread only to be greeted by Laudrup and his ever negative attitude. That's what I'm tired of! And I don't know why you're so bothered, as this thread was back on page 4 recently, nobody posting in it, now suddenly you're tired of it because it's active again? :bang:

There are many "opinionators" [not a real word] on this site, your post is an example right there of being opinionated about others is it not? You don't post in here regular, your post is nothing to do with D800, it's just a pop for no reason really.

David: one thing, it's much easier hand hold in decent outdoor light ;) Though I agree, there's no reason shots can't be as sharp BUT there is that factor of the larger image size and higher level of detail. Where you would have gotten away with being slightly off with other dslrs, you don't get away with it here on the D800.

I posted a shot taken at night, at 1/50th, hand held, and it showed clean lines [NYC building shot] - I have steady enough hands and the cop on to make sure all is good before clicking the shutter.

Last edited:
If this thread needs more images then I will post one, even if I've posted it in a relevent forum before now.

I think it's my favourite shot(s) taken with the D800E up to now...

8074608328_b0222ed470_b.jpg

...Three shots taken with the 24-70 @ 35mm and stitched with PTgui. The restoration work is now complete so a reprise is in order, I might get a better sky next time too.

The restoration work is now complete so a reprise is in order, I might get a better sky next time too.

That's good to know, time for a revisit from me too ... nice image BTW.

If this thread needs more images then I will post one, even if I've posted it in a relevent forum before now.

I think it's my favourite shot(s) taken with the D800E up to now...

8074608328_b0222ed470_b.jpg

...Three shots taken with the 24-70 @ 35mm and stitched with PTgui. The restoration work is now complete so a reprise is in order, I might get a better sky next time too.

Full res or GTFO :)

I've managed to sell my 50mm and an sb900 today. Half way to that sigma 35mm 1.4 :cool:

Back