Nikon D800......

Mine d800 was fixed and will be with me tomorrow.
Originally I said I will collect but called Nikon and asked for it to be delivered and was approved really easy.

My baby is coming home!!!!

I do hope that Hugh was right and they did excellent job in adjusting everything :) as they did to his d800

I was testing the D800 cropped mode vs my D7000 using high ISO and I have to say that I was very impressed with the D800. I can see how the D800 can be a very useful option for FF/DX bodies in one body.

One of the reasons I went for it and you can assign the cropped modes to buttons and switch back and forth without taking the camera from your eye. Very versatile.

Used the D800 at the weekend. Not accustomed to low light photography but my word was I impressed with it! Showed the flaws in my sigma 70-200 but it looked ok to me at high iso (given that I usually use flash or good natural light!)

Well I had a little play with my D800 in the studio yesterday, I think its going to take some getting used to in there.

I'm not sure if its just me or not but skin tones looked a tad green (even when using a grey card)?

But anyway, I went out in the garden today in the good light we had to see if I could tune in my 70-200.

Next doors cat popped into the garden for a wander so I snapped him!!

Next Doors Cat by rob_mank, on Flickr

I did apply a bit of sharpening on LR but it looks like flickr have taken it a step further too :thinking: As it now looks a little over sharpened on here but not on my exported file from LR. :cautious:

When I resize for web then put photographs on Facebook I have the same issue! They look almost too sharp!

I opened the same picture in preview on my mac too and looked at it next to this on here and its night and day difference.

Mank said:
I opened the same picture in preview on my mac too and looked at it next to this on here and its night and day difference.

I had the exact same problem buddy. As long as I know what the actual, unraped by Facebook compression is great then I don't care. I've scaled them further down and it helped abit. I think these photo sharing sites perform hardcore compression

I agree with you there Tony. As long as it looks good on my screen and my prints match then I'm a happy chappy!! :)

I tend to be bothered little by how images appear on screen, apart from colour accuracy obviously. Let's be honest, no one buys a D800 just to put image on the internet.

Pookeyhead said:
I tend to be bothered little by how images appear on screen, apart from colour accuracy obviously. Let's be honest, no one buys a D800 just to put image on the internet.

Yeah that's true. However alot of my paying clients first see their pictures on the web...

Just thought id kick this back to the top with a couple of imges shot with the Tamron 28-75mm

tammy1.jpg

tammy2.jpg

Are any of you finding you have to apply a bit more sharpening in post with the D800??

I took exactly the same shot in jpeg and RAW on mine and the jpeg looks a hell of a lot sharper. I know you need to do some sharpening but I've never bothered with my D3 or D700 but I'm tending to find the D800 does need a touch to bring them up to scratch.

Nope ;) maybe the 'E' does something after all.

I know that with my old D90 I was constantly fiddling with the sharpness slider, I find I'm actually leaving that alone 99% of the time nowadays.

Are any of you finding you have to apply a bit more sharpening in post with the D800??

I took exactly the same shot in JPEG and RAW on mine and the JPEG looks a hell of a lot sharper. I know you need to do some sharpening but I've never bothered with my D3 or D700 but I'm tending to find the D800 does need a touch to bring them up to scratch.
I only ever shoot JPEG Rob and have in camera sharpening set to 7, no need to add any further sharpening in post unless dramatically reducing size for web usage to around 800px wide

The above 2 images of mine wer sharpened with USM set to 80, 0.3, 0.

I took exactly the same shot in jpeg and RAW on mine and the jpeg looks a hell of a lot sharper. I know you need to do some sharpening but I've never bothered with my D3 or D700 but I'm tending to find the D800 does need a touch to bring them up to scratch.

D800/E resolves a lot of detail and that could mean revealing camera shake that was not noticed before.
I initially found the camera very unforgiving in that respect and had to pay more attention to technique.

arclight said:
D800/E resolves a lot of detail and that could mean revealing camera shake that was not noticed before.
I initially found the camera very unforgiving in that respect and had to pay more attention to technique.

This is what I found (still finding!!)

Never found that, still not finding it. I don't know why people are still hung up on it?

I don't think its technique. This is in a studio setting where the flash should freeze any little bit of movement. I've even done it on a tripod. I don't think camera shake is the issue. I use AF-C too so any little bit of movement forward or back should tracked.

I genuinely see a sharper shot from the jpeg image compared to the RAW file. Once I've applied a little bit more sharpening to the RAW its much better.

Although I must say I think my 70-200 is out, I've tried to play around with the AF fine tune (used the thread Hoppy posted the other day) and i just cant see to get it right.

Cagey75 said:
Never found that, still not finding it. I don't know why people are still hung up on it?

Not hung up on it, but found I needed a slightly faster shutter speed compared with on the d90. Having said that I got some very useable results at 1/125 and 1/160 at 200 mm on the d800 (see people and portraits section)

It just needs you (me) to pay more attention to your technique as its a less forgiving camera (than my d90)

S

Well, its not my technique. My 70-200 is either unbelievably soft or the AF is way out (I think its AF) as my 60mm macro looks amazing!! :LOL:

Has anyone sent their camera & lens away to Nikon to be calibrated together?

Not hung up on it, but found I needed a slightly faster shutter speed compared with on the d90. Having said that I got some very useable results at 1/125 and 1/160 at 200 mm on the d800 (see people and portraits section)

It just needs you (me) to pay more attention to your technique as its a less forgiving camera (than my d90)

S
Definitely have to agree, unless im using flash i need to double the shutter speed what i used to use when shooting with my D700/D3S

Can also be lens dependent as well, with my 70-200mm VRII and 16-35mm f/4 VR i can obviously use much lower shutter speeds, the 16-35mm allows me to go as low as 1/10th handheld and still get super sharp images

I struggle with my Tamron 28-75mm handheld below 1/200th unless i use flash, i just took delivery of the brand new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC to see if it helps me out in the mid range zoom stakes but the lens itself is very poor compared to my Tamron 28-75mm so its going back on Monday, the VC was nice but it was just OK sharp in the centre but horrible near the edges, stopping down helped a little but still nowhere near as good as the 28-75mm

Poor at 24mm and terrible at 50mm, suspect ive got a bad sample but spent all yesterday evening and most of today testing on the D800 and a D3S and D700 and the conclusion is my 28-75mm wipes the floor with it at every aperture and every focal length, the VC was good but whats the point if the lens is "soft"

Well, its not my technique. My 70-200 is either unbelievably soft or the AF is way out (I think its AF) as my 60mm macro looks amazing!! :LOL:

Has anyone sent their camera & lens away to Nikon to be calibrated together?

I sent my D7000 & 28-70mm F2.8 back to Nikon last month for AF issues.. Very happy for the result - was only away for 10 days - total.
I'd send it..

I don't think its technique. This is in a studio setting where the flash should freeze any little bit of movement. I've even done it on a tripod. I don't think camera shake is the issue. I use AF-C too so any little bit of movement forward or back should tracked.

I genuinely see a sharper shot from the jpeg image compared to the RAW file. Once I've applied a little bit more sharpening to the RAW its much better.

Although I must say I think my 70-200 is out, I've tried to play around with the AF fine tune (used the thread Hoppy posted the other day) and i just cant see to get it right.

Yip, flash would freeze movement so that possibility is ruled out.

Ouch, 10 days is a long time for me. I use it every day for my living :(

Are you eligible for the NPS scheme? Your camera bag and website suggests you could well be. NPS fixed my D800 left focus 'issue' and couriered it back to me all on the same day they received it. I hardly noticed it was missing!

Rob, where you based, might be able to help out if you do need to send it away

South Yorkshire, near Barnsley. :)

I'm going to see a friend (who I bought it off) on Monday. This camera has been back to Nikon twice already :LOL: But I looked at his shots he took when he got it back and they are bang on, so I think its more my lens.

Yip, flash would freeze movement so that possibility is ruled out.

Yep, I did a few test shots on a friend tonight, someone who sat still rather than a energetic kid. I could see its still slightly out but it improved when I changed the AF tune. I just think it maybe that little bit too much out on my 70-200 though.

Are you eligible for the NPS scheme? Your camera bag and website suggests you could well be. NPS fixed my D800 left focus 'issue' and couriered it back to me all on the same day they received it. I hardly noticed it was missing!

No idea, I'm not sure as I've bought all my gear 2nd hand. :shrug:

Rob, if your OOF shots are on the 70-200 v1, what's the subject range?

The first version 70-200mm VR has terrible soft focus at infinity. If you're doing closeups, then it's OK (like the nice portrait in your previous post), but for longer distance stuff, it's truly shocking. No stopping down will fix it. I made a really large pano of a mountain landscape and only realised how bad and unusable it was at the end :(

Tbh most of my work is around the same sort of distance. I'd say anywhere from 3ft to 8ft away. Don't think I've really used it at infinity? Although I maybe wrong! :LOL:

Even at infinity, the centre of the frame tends to be OK, it's the edges which are horrible.

I can't remember from what focussing distance it goes horribly wrong. But I've never had focus issues on subjets less than 10ft. Always super sharp with my D800 (although I haven't used it that much yet in that setup).

Picked up 2 lenses:

14w63b5.jpg

Nikon 200mm f/2 and Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.

The limited time I had today the 200 focus speed is rapid and the Zeiss renders quite pleasingly.

200 f2 looked a bit of a handful when I saw it a while back.

It's a fat boy, but the tripod mount isn't to my taste and needs an RRS plate for it which I'll have to get. It's a heavy old bag moving to primes.

200 f2 looked a bit of a handful when I saw it a while back.

It is a beast, but a beautiful one. I had a go with one, and found it quite a handful. There is nothing quite like it though. Sadly, I couldn't afford it so I "settled for" a 135 DC.
Looking forward to seeing some images made with it though.

Back