Nikon D800......

I guess it depends where you are based. RSS harder to find in the UK at least when I was buying.

Had looked at a soft cap as well - but not gone down that route yet - makes sense if you think you'll need to grab it out of the bag quickly.

Very nice!

I was put shooting with a group a while back, [I say a while back, just realised the pic is 2 years old at this stage!] and one guy was using the 200 f/2 on a D40! :D I found it amusing enough to grab a pic of him in action with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cagey75/5435824519/

Could have gotten a better one side on, ah well ...

Beast of a lens for sure.

How do you find the zeiss? I'm seriously considering it, selling my 24-70 to get one, as I kind of like the idea of a manual focus wide, and I now have a 35mm 1.4 and find I'm not using the 24-70 so much.

Last edited:
Bit the bullet and bought a D800E last night. Battery is on charge and probably won't be able to test until this weekend when I shoot a big event for Ferrari - baptism of fire!

I'll run it along side my D3 for motorsport stuff, with the D800E concentrating on the paddock/lifestyle and D3 for action.

Any tips when setting it up? Anything I should look out for?

DB

What LCD protectors are you using? Read that the GGS is a poor fit and partially blocks screen info?

I use the GGS and haven't had any problems with fit, it works fine for me!

Bit the bullet and bought a D800E last night. Battery is on charge and probably won't be able to test until this weekend when I shoot a big event for Ferrari - baptism of fire!

I'll run it along side my D3 for motorsport stuff, with the D800E concentrating on the paddock/lifestyle and D3 for action.

DB

My tip would be to shot the Ferrari job on one of your existing bodies, and maybe take the D800E to trial out on some extras if you have the time.

If that is a profile, paid job then I wouldn't assume you can just pick up the D800E and get the same shots or better than a D3 right away. They are exacting, and it could come back and bite you.

I'd give it a week of use, and review, before you throw it into paid work - and I'm speaking from experience. No issues if it is tripod mounted static work but if you are shooting motorsport or people then you may need to modify the way you work a little.

DB

If you're not using the D800 for the fast moving cars, more for the crowds and atmosphere, then fire ahead with it I say. There's too much worry among users about the D800, as if it were real hard to get to grips with. It isn't.

Last edited:
It's a three day job so I'll be breaking it in gently/third body type stuff.

Honestly, from using the bodies you're already accustomed to, it'll be a breeze for you. I don't get why people make a fuss over the 800 because it's got more mp. I've seen people post sports shots using one, and other fast moving subjects like kids and pets running, jumping etc ... no problems.

I use the GGS and haven't had any problems with fit, it works fine for me!

Do you have the link of where you purchased? There are 3 types, type 1 fits, 2 doesnt, 3 is the protector type. Im guessing you have type 1.

It's a three day job so I'll be breaking it in gently/third body type stuff.

Sensible approach. Despite the gung-ho attitude of people who would advise otherwise.

Even if it was an identical body to the kit you already use you wouldn't thrown an untested body into a paid job. Common sense.

Last edited:
Sensible approach. Despite the hung-ho attitude of people who would advise otherwise.
100% agreed, despite what some folk think you really need to adopt care and probably a new shooting style, the massive resolution does bloody matter, it does make a difference and for this very reason i used mine on the lower 24mp res setting until i was totally comfortable, to be honest, i still use it at 24mp, i dont shoot RAW and dont need the 36mp so why use it, on the odd occasion i know it will be useful its there but until i need it i dont use it. (y)

Sensible approach. Despite the hung-ho attitude of people who would advise otherwise.

Even if it was an identical body to the kit you already use you wouldn't thrown an untested body into a paid job. Common sense.

You mean 'Gung-ho' surely? :LOL:

And it's nothing of the sort. He's said he's also using his already owned gear too. He's going to use the D800 for crowd/atmosphere shots and the D3 for the faster sports stuff. That's sensible aye.

And it doesn't "bloody matter" as much as the scare-mongers would have you believe, really
Do you really have trouble using your D800 because of the 36mp? I wonder do these people, who say 'treat it different' to any other body, have a lot of trouble with it or something? Because to be quite honest, I find it no harder to handle than my old D90! And the guy asking here is used to the D3, which I would say probably requires more care, because of it's size and heft.

There's common sense, and then there's being over dramatic ...

Anyway, we'll not get into that, it's been done to death. Seems only a few have trouble treating it like any other body.

Last edited:
It does taking some getting used to. You might not feel like it but it does.

Lens are much better weighted on the D3 than the D800. I've noticed now after a few weeks I'm a bit steadier with my D800. But it becomes 2nd nature again, you probably don't it Cagey but you probably handle your D800 slightly different to what you did to your D90.

Mines also much better now my lenses are tuned in! :LOL:

You mean 'Gung-ho' surely? :LOL:

And it's nothing of the sort. He's said he's also using his already owned gear too. He's going to use the D800 for crowd/atmosphere shots and the D3 for the faster sports stuff. That's sensible aye.

And it doesn't "bloody matter" as much as the scare-mongers would have you believe, really
Do you really have trouble using your D800 because of the 36mp? I wonder do these people, who say 'treat it different' to any other body, have a lot of trouble with it or something? Because to be quite honest, I find it no harder to handle than my old D90! And the guy asking here is used to the D3, which I would say probably requires more care, because of it's size and heft.

There's common sense, and then there's being over dramatic ...

Anyway, we'll not get into that, it's been done to death. Seems only a few have trouble treating it like any other body.

TBH, I totally agree, read lots of people saying its difficult to use etc. but coming from my 12MP D700 and even without reading the manual Im finding it very easy to use and a smooth transition so far.

Last edited:

DB

D800 and Ferrari !!!! Please take me with you !! I can carry your memory cards :)

Really dont see how its scaremongering when even the best respected review sites also say it needs handling with more respect than older 12mp d700s d3s etc, etc, its also massivly lens dependant as well and that comes direct from Nikon who have published theoir very own list of suitable lenses.

After about 1 month of ownership im a happy bunny but it really took me some getting used to, its not like the D700 where you can quickly grab it from your bag and just rattle off images without thinking about your settings, its just not, even minor hand movements/camera shake affect the final image if you pixel peep, if you down res it to the D700s 12 mp then the camera shake/slight blur disappears like magic, thats no longer a problem for me anymore as im aware of my own limitations and adjust the cameras settings/shutter speed accordingly.

Rob also hit on something as well
Mines also much better now my lenses are tuned in!
Never before have i had to fine tune the AF on any lens/body combination ive owned but i have "calibrated my 16-35mm and 70-200mm with the D800 and it is clear they were slightly out yet they were spot on with my other bodies.

First one i bought had the left side AF issue but my current one is spot on.

Glad i made the move from the D700 in the end and loving the dynamic range improvement.

Last edited:
I've been using mine for motorsport (superbikes) most of the last year and I like it. I find the AF a step up from my D300, espically shooting through the fences and as Gary said love the Dynamic range:).
I don't pixel peep but do find I get marginally less keepers than with my D300, did take me a while to get use it when using it with the 400mm.

and that comes direct from Nikon who have published theoir very own list of suitable lenses.

In all fairness though, all they did was list their most expensive lenses. Considering how they screwed slightly less early adopters over on the price for no other reason than greed, i'd take their advisement with the pinch of salt it deserves. Ive got a lens that cost me £80 on mine and its sharp enough to cut bread.

I agree the tamron 28-75 is razor sharp on mine too and its a cheap as chips lens. Looking forward to my Sigma 35 1.4 on it! :p

Well, I've had a D800 kicking around here for a month or so taking odd snaps, getting used to it and stuff. Last week I started to actually use it for real.

I've spent the last couple of days in a darkish room retouching the files. And you know what? They are pretty nice. Plenty of detail, lots of latitude and some really rather lovely skin tones.

One job I was shooting portraits with an ancient 100 quid 85mm and a couple of speedlights. It did good ;) Be nice to see what it could do with a modern 85. I believe the new ones are nice.

Have to just say, I'm really loving this camera more and more with every job I do. Tonight it was a musical show, sort of Broadway style, 'Me & my girl' - anyway; I loved that the D800E takes away any fears of flicking through the extremes of settings as I worked along. Of course the lenses I had along with helped a great deal too, but this camera... incredible for the price I think. Not my first job using it or anything, I just haven't been doing much lately, so first in a while.

Never thought twice on what ISO I was using, didn't have any DR worries [anyone who's ever shot gigs or shows knows how tricky lighting/shadows/highlights in these things can be] I knew by just checking the previews here and there all was well, and good. I remember not being so confident doing shows and gigs with the D90 - I would sweat when I needed to push over ISO 1600, just to get a usable shutter speed to prevent blurring.

I know the likes of the D4 and D3s can make life on the ISO front a bit easier, but I was able to shoot at 6400, at f/5.6 and keep a speed of 1/250 - 1/320 - which was great for those times when the stage was chock full of energetic, dancing performers

I could have dropped to 2.8, 1600 and kept about the same speed, but I wanted everyone sharp for those ones. Never would have even tried that with the D90.

Last edited:
On another note, mines away to nikon for AF adjustment. Hopefully it's back soon

No the left side is perfect that was the first thing I tested. I have to AF adjust for front focus on most lenses so have sent it in. AF micro adjust solved it but there was some hefty tuning and I think I was still getting front focus

The problem was with the centre point. I gave them loads of info so hopefully it gets sorted ASAP

Mines currently away as well, sent it Monday and won't get it back till the 20th.
I finally decided to sit it down and test focus and the left side did seem of and AF was generally abut off. None of my lenses needed much MA on my d700 , on my d800 a lot were are extreams.

Hopefully they will sort it, but have to say I wasn't wanting to send it it after all the reports of nikons terrible repairs and times(I know a lot is US based).
If the don't get it sorted the first time or make my others focus points worse, I'm not going to be impressed.

Disappointing seeing these issues requiring new cameras to be returned :(

If mine comes back the same I'm asking WEX for a refund and will get a mk3

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though

If mine comes back the same I'm asking WEX for a refund and will get a mk3

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though

Mine isn't that new around 4 months but haven't had the time to test it properly and just lived with getting a no. of out focus shots.
I won't be able to return it but will also be considering selling up and moving if they don't sort this issue.

Mines new, just over a month old, in fairness WEX offered me a new one but I wanted it sent in

Tony, what about asking wex to do the test on a new d800 before it leaves them? That way you'll avoid further hassle.

Tony, what about asking wex to do the test on a new d800 before it leaves them? That way you'll avoid further hassle.

Mine was practically new so it's much of a muchness. I will ring nikon on Monday with my concerns and tell them if I can't be confident in the AF I will be changing systems

I'm not sure how Nikon UK are but the over all feeling with Nikon isn't great at the moment, Nikon JP denying there's any focus issue and just telling people to clean there d600 if there's an oil issue.

Nikon US has been getting it as well, taking weeks/months to repair stuff, send it back more damaged or not repaired ,even after multiple returns to them. blaming new item, warranty issue on impact damage and using a paint scratch as the damage over all seems like they are slipping after the recent tsunami and floods..just look at the actually issues and major price drops that similar canon cameras and equipment haven't been having.

Bit drastic but understand your disappointment/frustratration, would seriously p me off, yet to properly check mine but initial quick testing seems all is okay and seller confirmed no af issues, just havent found the time to do a thorough test, haven't had to MA any lenses which is a good start.

Online users mostly say the oil issue goes away after a few thousand actuations, just an over lubed shutter mech on initial manufacturing runs, from what I understand some d3, d700, d7k, d800 and d4 do this. Cleaning is easy so not an issue for most people who own that spec of camera and Nikons doing free cleans within warranty.

A lot of moaning about the 5d3 also, grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:
I must have gotten real lucky,mine is 6mths old now and I've never had any issues. I think the screen is a little off/greenish at times, but other than that - no problems. I always shoot RAW, so only really use the LCD for quick previews, sharpness, composition etc ... not how the colours look as I can change all that in processing anyhow.

I don't expect the grass to be any greener and bar this camera the other 5+ grand of equipment I've owned has all been great and I do love the d800 despite these issues.

What I don't like is the fact there's no acknowledgement of these issues and there seemingly bad customer service(this is my first involvement with them so still to see what happens).
I know that I'm a small fish in a big pond and that my 7+ grand is nothing to them but you would expect some support and acknowledgement with issues when you spend this much of your own money with a company, well at least you hope you would..

My camera might come back perfect and I will be a happy boy, but I just have a worry about it and any issues I may get in future.

Back