Nikon D800......

I'm very keen to see what comes of this, as I've just been given the go ahead to get a D3 (or spend £2000)on a new weeks camera. Even though it won't have a built-in grip, this could be the camera for me if the HD video function is nailed :)

Methinks the Nikon stand at Focus2012 will be very busy

I would need a new pc if I got that camera, if that 36 megapixel statement is true!

I would be amazed if it hasn't got the same sensor as the D4 with 16 Megapixels. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

How much is a 2 year old D700 worth I wonder...

Tough one to call. On the one hand it would make sense to give it the D4 sensor just like the olden days of D3 vs. D700. On the other hand, the D4 is barely even out yet. Would seem strange to launch two cameras that will perform in a similar manner (er, sort of) so close together. So with that in mind, I do sort of believe the 36mp rumours though that wouldn't make it a camera that I'd particularly be interested in.

Personally, I'd be over the moon with s D700S, with a D3S sensor and a few other tweaks but I think Nikon have moved things on a little further by the sound of it.

Why is this a sticky? :shrug:

Because I made it one to avoid spending all day tomorrow merging 35 new threads people have created because they found out about the new camera first :D I'll unsticky it in a week.

I would be amazed if it hasn't got the same sensor as the D4 with 16 Megapixels. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

How much is a 2 year old D700 worth I wonder...

Have you seen the link a few posts up for the D800 news story thats been released early. It looks authentic and stories have been out about it having 36Mpix for a while.

tomorrow...
Can't wait...I do hope it will have 36mpix ;D

small body with FF and video will be perfect for me :)
just get a good mic to it and Im ready to roll ;D

do we know if thats going to be in morning or evening ?

Why is this a sticky? :shrug:
Because Nikon togs can't look beyond the first 6 posts in the forum :thinking: :D

I wondered exactly the same thing... The 5D3 pre-announcement had better become a sticky otherwise there'll be some words to be said!! :D

Because Nikon togs can't look beyond the first 6 posts in the forum :thinking: :D

I wondered exactly the same thing... The 5D3 pre-announcement had better become a sticky otherwise there'll be some words to be said!! :D

Why would it need to be unless Canon togs can't look beyond the first 6 posts in the forum! ;)

$4000 ???

if yes, d700 will hold their value even longer

That is just a tad pricey!

Would be interesting to hear how many D700 owners will consider swapping. Way to big price tag for me to contemplate.

Looks impressive though. I'm ashamed to admit that despite the spec, the first thing to get me excited was the bracketing button.

If it comes out over here at £3499 which is likely if it is $4000 then it is in a whole new price region. I predicted this a while ago in that they would bring out the D800 at a much higher price, keep the D700 as if they were two completely different cameras THEN once people are used to the price of the D800 they will kill off the D700.

That is just a tad pricey!

Would be interesting to hear how many D700 owners will consider swapping. Way to big price tag for me to contemplate.

Looks impressive though. I'm ashamed to admit that despite the spec, the first thing to get me excited was the bracketing button.

I will ;)

but mostly depends on mpix...I know..pixel peeper etc etc... but I do miss them from 5d2...

am i totally off but why are nikon going for huge res? i thought that stopped years ago..

better noise/low light over pixels anyday for me.. but competition for canon and vice versa always good :)

Erm, isn't the D700 being discontinued? So, there's going to be a quite large price gap in the market regarding Nikon cameras?

I'm very keen to see what comes of this, as I've just been given the go ahead to get a D3 (or spend £2000)on a new weeks camera.

I'd imagine you'll need to pony up a fair bit of your own cash to own one then, if the £25-2600 price being mooted in the US is anything to go by....

If it comes out over here at £3499 which is likely if it is $4000 then it is in a whole new price region. I predicted this a while ago in that they would bring out the D800 at a much higher price, keep the D700 as if they were two completely different cameras THEN once people are used to the price of the D800 they will kill off the D700.

It seems that Nikon have already killed off the D700.

Will leave a huge hole in the range though particularly now the D300S is no more. Basically D7000 at £1000 RRP to D800 at £3500 with nothing in between. Even when a D400 (or whatever they call it comes along), it looks like there is room for another £2500 FX camera.

$4000 ???

if yes, d700 will hold their value even longer

I feel sorry for d3x owners, s/h value will nose dive :shake:

I'd love to know the reasoning behind the nikons marketing strategy, all seems very random. Unless you're a sports shooter, the D4 seems a bit redundant next the D800 :shrug:

am i totally off but why are nikon going for huge res? i thought that stopped years ago..

better noise/low light over pixels anyday for me.. but competition for canon and vice versa always good :)

If they can get the ISO performance at least as good as the D700 and possibly as god as the outgoing D3s then adding more pixels is an even bigger draw for some people. It would be great for landscapes and in the studio both of which are normally done at low ISO anyway.

Erm, isn't the D700 being discontinued? So, there's going to be a quite large price gap in the market regarding Nikon cameras?

Wait until they up the price of the D300 replacement is announced, my money's on £15-1700 rrp for that :nuts:

Because I made it one to avoid spending all day tomorrow merging 35 new threads people have created because they found out about the new camera first :D I'll unsticky it in a week.

I bet you at least 2 people fail to spot the sticky and creating new threads :D

It seems that Nikon have already killed off the D700.

They've not said that yet. Rumours are that they will at least run both for some time. I'm a bit sceptical about it really.

I'm not going to be getting one to be honest. The latest price ramp is just plainly ridiculous and I cannot justify it. I could manage to sell my D300 and get a D800 making the D700 my second camera BUT this amount of money could be better spent on other stuff.

how's that then? $4000 is about £2500, or are you assuming it will just be more here?

+ VAT makes it £3000 then everything is 10-15% more over here than the exchange rate would dictate.

Why would it need to be unless Canon togs can't look beyond the first 6 posts in the forum! ;)
Hang on... we can't get past 5... Fingers on one hand and all that... Or are you saying we're all somehow genetically deformed :eek: :p

cowasaki said:
+ VAT makes it £3000 then everything is 10-15% more over here than the exchange rate would dictate.

Another reason for me to go to US of A
Other option is that friends of mine are moving back to HK in couple of months and they could get me one there...
If price will be closer to £3000 then I would opt for 3ds or maybe as treeman said for d3x if prices fall...

how's that then? $4000 is about £2500, or are you assuming it will just be more here?

list price of the D4 is $6000 but here its £4800. by similar ratio then expect the d800 to be around £3200

36mp doesnt excite me much. i think my next upgrade will be to the D4 (long way off yet).

I wish Nikon could stick to some form of price format, rather than the latest and greatest commanding a massive price tag. Some clear bands would be good ie.

D4 - £4500 - Top
D800 - £2500 - Middle
D400 (or whatever it will be) - £1000 - Bottom

And then below that the cameras can kind of sort themselves out. I like how Canon has quite clear price brackets (admittedly the 7D/5Dmk2 are blurring here but thats not their fault as such)

They've not said that yet. Rumours are that they will at least run both for some time. I'm a bit sceptical about it really.

I'm not going to be getting one to be honest. The latest price ramp is just plainly ridiculous and I cannot justify it. I could manage to sell my D300 and get a D800 making the D700 my second camera BUT this amount of money could be better spent on other stuff.

Precisely! I would be quite happy with another D700, or if Marks predictions are correct, I would even consider a D3x if they nosedived and someone wanted to take the hit to change :LOL:

36MP's seems a huge hoik up from 12 on D700 and I can't help but wonder how it will affect high ISO performance - with that predicted price tag, they should have it totally sorted, but like I say, I do wonder..... :shrug:

Unless Nikon release something special in the next 12 months, I think the natural upgrade path for a lot of D700 owners is to the second hand d3s market. I just can't see wedding and event photographers coughing up for a pair of D4's etc. (always need a backup).

I think the D700 may have been a one of a kind camera. A classic. One of the first full frame cameras that was relatively cheap, equally good in low light and sports as well as landscape photography. And the last camera to miss the whole hd video thing. I just did (still does) everything equally well.

If I ever get rid mine, I will certainly miss it.

Unless Nikon release something special in the next 12 months, I think the natural upgrade path for a lot of D700 owners is to the second hand d3s market. I just can't see wedding and event photographers coughing up for a pair of D4's etc. (always need a backup).

I think the D700 may have been a one of a kind camera. A classic. One of the first full frame cameras that was relatively cheap, equally good in low light and sports as well as landscape photography. And the last camera to miss the whole hd video thing. I just did (still does) everything equally well.

If I ever get rid mine, I will certainly miss it.

I am thinking the same here.

I think the D800,has more to do with taking on the Canon 5DmkII Or III when it come out,than replacing the D700.

I am still kind of hoping their will be a baby D4.
Maybe the D400,will go full frame,with the D4 sensor :)

Back