Nikon D800......

The retailer should be giving you a new charger or arranging it with Nikon especially as its only 2 weeks old. Touch wood Nikon UK was pretty good each time I contacted, once for some screws and the other a D700 rubber door. Both sent out free incl P&P and arrived next day.

Also updated to the new FW, all went fine.

Last edited:
Well just received a call from Clifton cameras who have been very helpful thought this whole ordeal.
They will be offering me a new replacement body/ credit for a d800 but they don't have any In stock currently , I've been offered a d800e if I pay an extra £160 but I'm not sure I want to after already paying £2300 for my d800.
They won't be getting any stock at Nikon UK for at least 5 day, so them even longer and I leave for Asia in 10 days.

So I have the choice of paying more, not getting a camera for my trip or switching systems to canon :0

The d800e seems to be more than £160 more expensive than the d800 so with the time constraints of your upcoming trip I'd go for it.

The d800e seems to be more than £160 more expensive than the d800 so with the time constraints of your upcoming trip I'd go for it.

I would agree. It's likely that the inconvenience of switching systems would cost you more than £160 - and that's if it went 100% smoothly.

D800e is essentially a different camera, is that what he wants?

D800e is essentially a different camera, is that what he wants?

One assumed so as it wasn't mentioned that he din't want it (other than cost) - but I'm sure pmac will clear up any confusion for himself!

Having a d800e doesn't bother me.. I never payed the extra as I saw no benefit when I bought my d800. The same still stands.. They will split the cost 3 ways with me the shop and Nikon. My issue is I'm paying extra for a camera that is the price I payed already for my d800.

Switching systems could be hard and I would be pushed with the timing issues.. I would be swapping for different lens and if I did it second hand I wouldn't spend a penny.
I'm only considering this due to the issues I've faced with Nikon and the ever increasing issue I hear about.

Refund and good S/H D800?

Might be worth pressing them.

If someone offered me a 800e for £160 more than I paid for the 800 Id bite their hand off.

If you plan on doing any video whatsoever don't touch the D800e

Just noticed that my camera gives me different exposures for the same scene when I switch between LV and OVF. LV tends to underexpose every time. Camera on a tripod and all settings are exactly the same. I am only pressing the LV button on and off. Should this be happening?

Just noticed that my camera gives me different exposures for the same scene when I switch between LV and OVF. LV tends to underexpose every time. Camera on a tripod and all settings are exactly the same. I am only pressing the LV button on and off. Should this be happening?

Have you double checked every setting? Mine done this too but it was due to different iso etc being chosen.

When I dialled in identical values the exposure was identical for me

Live view meters differently

Have I got the only D800 that works as described?

Mine seems okay, gotta admit besides the 'general' issues not really putting a huge amount of effort into fault finding. Except for some initial oil, cleared itself up after a good clean, so must've been the first couple thousand actuations.

Nah... There's hundreds of us. There's just not a lot of point in going onto a forum just to say your camera's working so you only tend to hear from the minority with problems.

Nope.. mine's fine too. Perfectly happy with it. You only hear about the faulty ones is all. It was the same with the D7000.. I had no issues with that either.

Have you double checked every setting? Mine done this too but it was due to different iso etc being chosen.

When I dialled in identical values the exposure was identical for me

Live view meters differently

This^

LV uses a different metering system... it always seems slightly different to me... only slightly mind you. Why not meter TTL, then just manually set the same values? To be honest, when I'm using live view, it's pretty much for manual focusing accuracy, and if I'm working that slowly, I don't use the camera's meter at all.. I use an incident meter, and just manually transfer the settings.

Yes, my fault. Auto ISO was on. At least I have learnt something new, LV meters differently.

Thought that was your issue buddy, glad it's sorted

I get my new one tomorrow but I'm really sick, bed bound so I doubt I'll even get to pick it up! :bang:

Thought that was your issue buddy, glad it's sorted

I get my new one tomorrow but I'm really sick, bed bound so I doubt I'll even get to pick it up! :bang:

Well, hope you feel better soon and that you get a fault free camera. It is an amazing tool.

Nope, I posted earlier in this thread that mine was dandy, thought I'd get my head chewed off by those who had issues! :D

On the D800E/nonE - I've not had to use sharpening in LR since I got the E ... might be something in that. In fact, most times I find I have to take it down a little from default. On my D90 I was constantly pushing it up, masking, and even going to Cs5 for high pass layers and extra sharpening at times, not now - with better results.

I have used it for video too - and never had a problem with moíre, if that's what people mean? But I admit, i don't do much video with it, didn't buy it for that purpose. Prefer to use the more discreet Rx100.

Also, there's an update, 4.4 available for LR4, anyone who's got a legit copy ;)

Last edited:

I have one of those, too.
The production run is around 30,000 D800/E bodies per month. I think a vast amount of folk have got faultless cameras and, in relative terms, I believe that very, very few have faulty ones. Not been much in the written photographic press about problems. As for the internet reports .......... that's another matter, but then that is the internet.

Last edited:
I bought one (D800) after reading all the hype on this and other forums. Must admit I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Now to stick my neck out and expect the vitriol, I really cannot see any improvement in my shots between the D800 and the D700 I had.
I cannot see that the shots with the D800 are any sharper or the colours are any better. I am using the same lens on the D800 to what I was using on my D700, so it's like for like. The only thing I can say is that I have a newer camera.

The D800 has much better cropping potential from what Ive noticed, dynamic range is way better and I have more flexibility in post. WB is more accurate. 100% viewfinder. Video. Dual slots.

I couldnt have justified a new D800 at launch RRP over the D700 but for me buying mint used was worth it and definitely a good upgrade.

Last edited:
The D800 has much better cropping potential from what Ive noticed, dynamic range is way better and I have more flexibility in post. WB is more accurate. 100% viewfinder. Video. Dual slots.

I couldnt have justified a new D800 at launch RRP over the D700 but for me buying mint used was worth it and definitely a good upgrade.

Dual slots - yes. But my read out tells me I can shoot 800 shots (raw+large) on my 64gb SD card plus my 8gb CF card. Even on a two week holiday there is no way I will shoot 800 shots.

Its not just about pics, for piece of mind you can backup to a card or use one for stills and the other for video. I can easily take 800 shots in 2 weeks if somewhere nice.

I bought one (D800) after reading all the hype on this and other forums. Must admit I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Now to stick my neck out and expect the vitriol, I really cannot see any improvement in my shots between the D800 and the D700 I had.
I cannot see that the shots with the D800 are any sharper or the colours are any better. I am using the same lens on the D800 to what I was using on my D700, so it's like for like. The only thing I can say is that I have a newer camera.

TBH, it will depend on what you shoot, and how you shoot. If you are shooting on a cloudy day outdoors in daytime, you will probably not see much improvement in IQ. But if you shoot in high contrast setting, you should see more of a clear difference in IQ. Dynamic range is wider by more than 2 stops, so shadow details are kept nicely, and relatively noise free. I think AWB is better in D800, too, although I mostly use custom WB, so not the best judge of that.

Regarding sharpness, camera bodies don't determine that as much as lens and focusing technique. If you want sharper image, make sure you got those covered. If you already have quality lens, you may need to fine tune AF, maybe?

I've had my D800 for less than 1 month, and I am definitely finding it superior to D3 in terms of pure image quality - I am keeping D3 for speed and robustness for weddings. But to be honest, if you don't see a difference in IQ, I'd go back to D700 and save the disc space; it's still a wonderful body.

Last edited:
Never seen an owners' thread go so long without pictures....

From bridal prep last week. I bet somebody tells me that it's out of focus....

pp_prep.jpg

Back