Nikon D800......

Yeah, must admit the oil issue was driving me nuts with my D600. A lot of internet talk at the time was saying how it would go away after a couple of thousand shots but it actually seemed to get worse on mine the more time went on. Nikon ended up replacing the shutter twice and it was exactly the same afterwards.

It's a shame as I think in every other way, the D600 is a really nice camera and the sensor is a beauty.

Regarding the hand holding thing. You aren't going to get worse hand held shots than your D600. It's just that at 100%, you might see slightly more camera shake. At normal print and viewing sizes it shouldn't be relevant, you just might not be making the very most of the D800 sensor in those circumstances. When you can get the D800 on a decent tripod or have the light for really ....You can really see the difference between my 24-70 Nikon (a great lens I would say) and Sigma Art primes. You get much crisper detail out of the Sigmas. I guess that's true of all sensors but just seems to be even more apparent on these super hi-res sensors.

This. It’s incredible and agree you need to use only the very best optics. The sigma ART primes do this

Steve if your going to upgrade go for the nikon D810 instead of the D800, well worth it . I know as I own both

One from a cold morning on the ashridge estate
rER0v5D.jpg

Last edited:
They are cracking, the first is especially nice @todders and the light in the last on the trees at the back is cracking. I have to say that I don't think I will ever part with my D800 even if I do upgrade. I have never had a problem with it so far and it is just a joy to use. The only real issue for me is live view but even that is manageable. It looks like mirrorless may be the way forward but I reckon if I do upgrade it will be to a D850.

They are cracking, the first is especially nice @todders and the light in the last on the trees at the back is cracking. I have to say that I don't think I will ever part with my D800 even if I do upgrade. I have never had a problem with it so far and it is just a joy to use. The only real issue for me is live view but even that is manageable. It looks like mirrorless may be the way forward but I reckon if I do upgrade it will be to a D850.

Thank you Nguss for your kind words, the d800e is a cracking camera i have owned it twice now along with a d810 which i sold and then came back again to the d800e one because of cost and the brilliant picture quality. The live view like you said you can live with, the weight can be an issue especially with the 24-70 f2.8 and mirrorless maybe the future with the z series. The older iam getting the more i struggle with thte weight but the images when everything is in your favour can be just superb.

Steve if your going to upgrade go for the nikon D810 instead of the D800, well worth it . I know as I own both

I know you are right Bazza, but the 810 is too rich for my liking. Using MPB as a used price guide, the D800 is £660-750 whereas the D810 is £1000+ :(

I was getting ready to trade the D600 for a 610 at MPB on Friday when I received an email from Nikon Service - I was less than complimentary when responding to their customer satisfaction survey. They have indicated that the only reason I wasn't offered a D610 in exchange for my D600 was that it was the first time they have had it returned for a clean and if I were to return it again "in a reasonably short period of time" they would swap it. So the D600 is going to see some serious action over the next week or two and if the sensor gets gummed up again it'll go back to them ... and we will see what happens.

Really liking this shot, bags of atmoshere and nicely presented.(y)

George.

Moon Shot
by Ben Goddard, on Flickr

The moon was super bright last night so grabbed my D800 to try out my 200-500 with a TC-14E II for the first time. Surprising still just how much reach you need for the moon, as even this was a pretty close crop [2048px square].

Nice work! Great detail there.

I think you need something like 1400mm to fill the frame with moon. Not an easy task!

Back