Nikon D800......

Nice to see this thread still going.

I feel like the D800 has become the forgotten camera.

People always talk about the D810 and D750 and have a big following.

But I think the D800 are amazing bang for buck now.

They are in the price range where it is not so expensive that you want to nanny it or feel guilty

... But I think the D800 are amazing bang for buck now.

Yes!!! :agree: I bought mine used 2 years ago, because I was dissatisfied with the AF performance of my SONY A7R2.

With the Nikkor 4/70-200, my D800 performed consistently, and reliably at all my car events! (y)---

A today's pic:

D80_4919-n70c-tp.jpg

And for birds in my garden, I bought the Sigma 5-6,3/150-600 C a few days ago (new):

D80_4853-n150c-tp.jpg

Me too. I bought mine last year (second hand) but I haven’t even touched the depths of its capabilities yet. I’m glad I took the plunge and don’t think I’ll be ‘upgrading’ for a good many years yet.

PS I don’t post photos much on here as I’m more of a portrait person. Stunning landscapes though!

Pilgrimage...

q4x3aEO.jpg

Still got my D800 but now as a backup to the D810. The D800 is a great camera but I have to say the D810 without the AA filter takes a bit of getting used to but in my opinion a better camera.
Question is, is the upgrade worth it?
Tough question depends on several things. First can one afford it? if yes then go for it, if not then stay with the D800. Next does the D810 produce a better picture all things being equal? then yes I find the pictures are sharper and " cleaner" looking. I found I had to be more exact in taking the photos with attention to detail in camera setup and composition.
an alternative is like I have done keep the D800 and buy the D810.

would I go for the D850?no definately not. Who really wants all those Mega pixels? not unless you are a professional and want the extreme best. Then you also need a flash gun, more expense and new memory cards as well

would I go for the D850?no definitely not. Who really wants all those Mega pixels? not unless you are a professional and want the extreme best. Then you also need a flash gun, more expense and new memory cards as well

Hi, I am happy with my D800. --- What I like about the D850 is the tilt-screen and the higher res, which gives more "croppability".

But I shall keep my faithful, reliable D800 as long as possible ... ---

Hi, I am happy with my D800. --- What I like about the D850 is the tilt-screen and the higher res, which gives more "croppability".

But I shall keep my faithful, reliable D800 as long as possible ... ---

I'm starting to develop a real soft spot for my D800. I've not even had it a year but it's starting to feel like an old friend. I think it's partly because, with the wave of new tech camera hitting the shelves, the 7 year old D800 is still basically right up there in IQ terms, just quietly going about its business. It's now a bit unfashionable and mine's also carrying a few battle scars and I think that lends it some charm. The live view is still f'ing atrocious though!

I'm starting to develop a real soft spot for my D800. I've not even had it a year but it's starting to feel like an old friend. I think it's partly because, with the wave of new tech camera hitting the shelves, the 7 year old D800 is still basically right up there in IQ terms, just quietly going about its business. It's now a bit unfashionable and mine's also carrying a few battle scars and I think that lends it some charm. The live view is still f'ing atrocious though!

Hi, I wrote above somewhere, that I bought the D800 used with the Nikkor 4/70-200 because I was not satisfied with the AF performance of my SONY A7R2.

The D800 does what it is supposed to do, every time. Like a good, reliable tool.

I am becoming an old-iron-fan, using old equipment (Leica M9, Nikon D800, Sony A7R2). Surprisingly, one can take pictures with old equipment, too.

But I have come a long way. My first digicam in 2003 had 5MP (Minolta F300) ... ---

That Spanish City is especially nice.

Cheers. It's all changed a bit since I lived there! Surprisingly hard to photograph Spanish city. Spent ages looking for a composition.

There was an amazing sunset going on behind me. You can see it reflected in the windows on the righthand side.

Hello all, I'm not a d800 owner but a question has popped up and I thought this might be a good place to ask.
The d800 has an aa filter and the 810 does not
This supposedly results in marginally sharper shots
So my question is
In post process does the sharpness slider etc make put the 2 files onto a similar standard of sharpness?

Hello all, I'm not a d800 owner but a question has popped up and I thought this might be a good place to ask.
The d800 has an aa filter and the 810 does not
This supposedly results in marginally sharper shots
So my question is
In post process does the sharpness slider etc make put the 2 files onto a similar standard of sharpness?
I am not sure about that - you can get more detail out by sharpening the D800 file, but then if you sharpen the D810 file the same, the D810 still looks sharper. To be fair though unless you are printing massive prints, i don't think that the difference is huge.

I am not sure about that - you can get more detail out by sharpening the D800 file, but then if you sharpen the D810 file the same, the D810 still looks sharper. To be fair though unless you are printing massive prints, i don't think that the difference is huge.
What is considered to be a huge print
I'm wanting to get into full frame at some point to be able to make a couple of prints of my own for my own home
One of which will be 2 meters wide by 3 mtrs long
When my skills improve sufficiently (if ever)

Every year I go to Roseberry Topping is exactly the same, no clouds. Apart from last year when it rained. This year, for a change, too much cloud.

Roseberry Topping by Neil, on Flickr

Very nice indeed. I think the clouds help nicely.

I took a walk up there one evening a few weeks ago but was a bit early for the blue bells. There were some but not the carpet you have captured.

Hadn't really appreciated how cool the woodland is around there as well. Need to go back for a proper explore.

What is considered to be a huge print
I'm wanting to get into full frame at some point to be able to make a couple of prints of my own for my own home
One of which will be 2 meters wide by 3 mtrs long
When my skills improve sufficiently (if ever)

It's a very fine margin between D800, D800e and D810. Long story but I've gone backwards to a D800 from a D810 and IQ wise, maybe I'd see something in a real side by side lab type test but I'd be amazed if it's perceptible in the real world. the D810's better damped shutter might account for more difference than the OLPF. Any of these cameras can deliver detail in spades. But it's worth mentioning that, to really wring every last drop of potential out of any of these sensors, you really do need good technique, a stable tripod and a very good lens. All of those will account for far more variation than the anything else.

The D810 does have some really nice touches that make it a better overall camera. Feels like it addresses all the slight nuances of the D800 and makes it a great all rounder.

Another thing to note, is that at 3m x 2m, you're way outside the envelope for any of these in terms of getting pixel sharp printing anyway. It will look great from any normal viewing distance but even with 36mp, sticking your nose up to the print is going to show it being a little bit blocky. But then, short of going to a phase one medium format camera, you're not going to do that much better with anything.

Ahh hello mate , I no longer shoot ft but enjoyed my time in it .
I am at present looking forward to the Worlds and It's in England this year so the Mrs is coming with me lol.
I have been informed I am the Photographer for the Event.
I think I realised at the Worlds in Poland last year what people think of me at shoots, When I booked in to shoot and the Polish staff heard my name they instantly told me I needed a 2nd pass for unrestricted access at all times for taking Photo's lol.

Lol your joking , back stabbing in ft I don’t believe you.
I do remember seeing you on a few shoots , best of luck in the worlds , I really enjoyed Wales

Took a little drive through Glen Etive on Friday. Was up there with a pal and it wasn't really a photography trip but couldn't really help myself when I saw the spring colours everywhere. This was in the middle of the day so light a little harsh but the colour of the valley was fantastic. I've only ever really been there in winter before and hadn't really appreciated just how glorious it would look in full bloom.

Glen Etive in Springtime by G.A.D, on Flickr

Back