Nikon D800

:eek: feeling guilty now!

Thanks Gramps, but that's just another very long thread like this one with many of the same arguments and lots of contrasting views. Can somebody explain in a couple of sentences what the focussing issue is supposed to be and how best to test for it?

take a picture normally, then select the left most middle row focus point, take the same pic. If both are sharp, dont worry about a thing.

take a picture normally, then select the left most middle row focus point, take the same pic. If both are sharp, dont worry about a thing.

Just done a very quick test of mine I think I focused on the same part each time as it was dark and I couldn't be bothered to switch the light on anyway the left 1,2,3,4&5 focus points appear to be pretty much identical I can see the very sightest variation but I am zoomed in to well over 100% so I'm not going to worry about that.
I'm not sure how much the focus points are supposed to be out to qualify for having this problem maybe someone who has unfortunatley had the problem can comment on these.
I will try to do a better test tomorrow.

100% crops original photos taken from distance of about 4.5 foot away with Sigma 150mm lens f/8

L1 focus point
yUsZX.jpg

L5 focus point
pSp98.jpg

Yes it had the left focus issue, i worked around it though to a point where i had time to send it back. Now got it back and its perfect from what i can see. Life goes on, the world keeps spinning.

That is helpful to know. I would happily buy the D800 if it was simply a case of sending it off to Nikon for 5 days and it came back fixed. Encouraging to hear this. I really don't understand why they can't just say " Sorry, there is an issue with the AF but we can sort it by upgrading the firmware after running some tests to fix the faulty data."

I'd be really happy with that. As it is the Mansurovs article and your own experience is nudging me in the direction of buying one :)

Shame on them for not treating their customers a bit better though.

Wow, that's quite a write-up and current to 23/7/2012 i.e. yesterday - can't see Nikon or current D800 owners being happy about that!

If what he says is true about how Nikon are dealing with it, then that's the part that I find most worrying. I believe many cameras have issues to begin with, but this apparent denial by Nikon, is it true? I'm sure I read elsewhere they were being open about it?

There's already a fix, they just havnt officially given the problem a title of its own yet :)

This is what came back on my worksheet

"Check, test and clean equipment
Check/adjust body focus to Nikon standard"

It was marked up as half a days work.

Read into that what you will, but now it works.

Last edited:
Be best for everyone (incl. Nikon) if Nikon just came clean on the problem.

I've done some more thorough tests this morning and it appears my camera does have the left side af problem after all. I have been in contact with Nikon and the camera is now wrapped and ready for posting to them tomorrow.
I phoned Nikon up 0330 123 0932 and I was told someone would call me back which they did 20mins later. I described the test I had done and he immediatly agreed I had a problem he then e-mailed me instructions on how to return the camera back to them with postage paid by them.

I was also told they can clear up the problem no problem at all.

Just in case anyone is interested this is how I tested the camera.

Nikon 24-70mm @24mm f/2.8

3 star test charts on wall that aligned to the left centre and right focus points. Distance from wall was approx 7-8 feet.

Lens was firstly tuned in with AF Fine Tune to ensure centre focus was spot on.

Picture taken in live view of centre chart using following procedure, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay (d4 on menu).

3 pictures were then taken with centre focus point using following procedure, lens defocused then focused with af/s on centre of middle chart, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay.

3 pictures taken with far left focus point using following procedure, lens defocused then focused with af/s on centre of left chart, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay

3 pictures taken with far right focus point using following procedure, lens defocused then focused with af/s on centre of right chart, cable release, mirror up, 2 sec exposure delay.

I was told I should have it back within 10 days.

This is an example of the results I was getting.

j1WkI.jpg

Just done the Thom Hogan test and my left focus point seems just as sharp as the rest... guess I'm lucky!

i just weighed my d800 and 16-35f4 and it was 120g heavier than my medium format Bronica with 50mm Not sure what to take to the lakes next week now :)

Both of them are just over 3.2kg! we need some carbon fibre these days.

i just weighed my d800 and 16-35f4 and it was 120g heavier than my medium format Bronica with 50mm Not sure what to take to the lakes next week now :)

Both of them are just over 3.2kg! we need some carbon fibre these days.

That would make an interesting side by side comparison - and I don't mean weight!

well the first day im there will be fairly flat , nothing over 1000feet anyway, so i might take them both for that but the other walks i got planned would be too much for both plus food water , wet weather gear etc but yeah , it would be interesting to challenge a roll of Portra with the Nikon and see what happens.

well the first day im there will be fairly flat , nothing over 1000feet anyway, so i might take them both for that but the other walks i got planned would be too much for both plus food water , wet weather gear etc but yeah , it would be interesting to challenge a roll of Portra with the Nikon and see what happens.

(y)

In case people are wondering about sharpness when handholding, couple of shots from my zoo trip today. Using a 70-200 on a TC 14, wide open and I forgot to turn the VR on(!). ISO's from 1100 to 1600 to try and keep the shutter speed up a bit and shot through the glass so a few funny reflections.

Just run through my standard Lightroom import preset. Pretty happy with these all things considered though plenty of learning and room for improvement.

7668609604_0131ab5180_b.jpg

7668610876_589f96f4b7_b.jpg

100% crop of 2 above

7668612054_97a7f51389_b.jpg

Lovely pics Matt. The D800 shots impress me more and more each time I see them on forums.

Seems to be a lot of chat and flack re the d800 on Nikon rumours...not sure whether or no to take much notice ...would realy like to upgrade to this...just not sure...plus rumours of incoming ff body!

There have been reports of both the 800 and 800E.

Stephen, as I posted above I had 2 D800 bodies both had the AF issue and Nikon claimed not to ever have heard of it when I called them up. Lots have had the same issue and Nikon have been saying nothing. Poor show! An admission and clarification is needed before I buy another.

William

I know. As you say, though, the D600 looks interesting. I'm tempted to hold off until it is released. The trouble now is that, as Thom Hogan says, people won't be asking what the sensor's like they will be asking if the AF works!

On a more optimisitic note, Thom's update for July 26 here

http://bythom.com/

seems promising. Let's hope. In the face of Nikon's continued silence, that's all we can do.

William

Last edited:
not sure why people dont just send it in for repair, i did and have a perfect camera now, i dodnt phone them up or email anyone, just filled out the returns form online, explained the issue and sent it in. I guess a certain section of society just thrive on having something to complain about.

Just to scotch a myth regarding exagerated motion blur because there are too many pixels! heres one of me handholding on top of Catbells in a strong wind with VR off. Sharp enough for me.

The full size is on my flickr page as well.

Last edited:
Well maybe you're absolutely right and all those people who spent their time buying a camera, shipping it back to Nikon, getting it back with the same issue, doing it again with the same result while all the time Nikon deny this is happening are just doing it to annoy people who are fortunate enough to have a good experience with this camera.

Or just maybe some of the people who have had good experiences find themselves unable to sympathise with those who haven't

I'm happy your camera is working well. I don't see why you have to belittle people who have not been so fortunate in that regard

William

because one day, and it will never happen, id love to see a d800 thread in here be used by people enjoying their camera, posting images and getting on with it. Not see post after post of people whinging and doing nothing about it. This is why the last thread died a death, too many moaners with the same moan flooding out the users who enjoy owning one.

Yours can work well too, do you actually own one? send it in , wait 2 weeks, get a perfectly performing game changing camera back in your hands.

You can guarantee within a couple of pages from now, someone will come in and very sagely mention the problem of blur when hand holding.

Last edited:
Yours can work well too, do you actually own one? send it in , wait 2 weeks, get a perfectly performing game changing camera back in your hands.

Sorry but I think a lot of people would see that as a major pain, not to mention a defective product!
Sure you can get anything repaired but I along with many others see buying a £2k+ camera only to have to send it straight back for a two week repair as something to moan about - why would anyone want to do that?
I can just see future classified sales, "Was yours a good one or one with the faulty A/F?" ... shouldn't be necessary.

I tested my D800 (supplied by Amazon in June) a couple of days ago using the method given previously in this thread and do not have the fault.

A definite thumbs up from me for the D800 :)

I find it quite bizarre that people who spend an awful lot of money on a camera which they are very keen to have, and who are disappointed to get one that doesn't work, yet receive no apology from the manufacturer are portrayed as killjoys.

Anyway, essexash. Enjoy your D800 and we'll all pretend everyone else's is fine too :|

On a more positive note, can I ask the people who have the ones which worked correctly when they bought them? I'm going to buy one but need a bit of reassurance first given my experience

Just to scotch a myth regarding exagerated motion blur because there are too many pixels! heres one of me handholding on top of Catbells in a strong wind with VR off. Sharp enough for me.

The full size is on my flickr page as well.

Is shooting at 1/125s at a focal length of 16mm a good best test of this? Genuine question as I wouldn't know.

Back