Nikon D810 or D750

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of one of these. Any comments on which to go for?
Mainly static stuff with 1 or 2 airshowa per year

Do you print much and if so what size as three may not be much between the cameras dependant on print size? Do you need an articulated screen? Do you need the minimum shutter / flash sync speed of the D810? What camera are you using at the moment as the d750 and d810 bodies are different.

I think for what it is worth they are both excellent cameras, but if you are not printing large and do not need the extra megapixels, you could go for the 750 and put the rest towards a new lens if you need or fancy one.

I considered the D750 and the D810 and for what I photograph, mainly landscapes, other static and a few portraits, I bought the D750. I simply didn't need the large MPs of the D810.

I can't say I'll ever regret getting the D750, also used the 'savings' to buy a 24-70 :)

Cheers and keep us updated (y)

Just out of idol curiosity how can you be certain that the OP doesn't already have the requisite lenses, or is this pure conjecture ?

Of course it's conjecture but it's a self solving problem, if they do then the advice can be safely ignored, if they don't it's another point to consider. I wasn't suggesting those were the only choices.

Just out of idol curiosity how can you be certain that the OP doesn't already have the requisite lenses, or is this pure conjecture ?
Just check Mervs profile. He has some decent glass. Knowing Merv as I do, I am sure he will update his glass as and when required.. :)

Merv, Just get the 810. It will save you going around in circles. :) You know what I mean...;)

I own both. Unless you need the MP, for what you do, I would get the D750.

Just check Mervs profile. He has some decent glass. Knowing Merv as I do, I am sure he will update his glass as and when required.. :)

Merv, Just get the 810. It will save you going around in circles. :) You know what I mean...;)

I don't doubt it !

It's not me you need to convince it's the OP on post #7

My post was a follow up in response to his comments if you re-read it.

I have both cameras (and some decent glass!) and they are both excellent. The D810 is my preference out of the two, it has a faster buffer speed and camera speed. The image quality when printing 'gallery big' is sublime.

I don't doubt it !

It's not me you need to convince it's the OP on post #7

My post was a follow up in response to his comments if you re-read it.

I have both cameras (and some decent glass!) and they are both excellent. The D810 is my preference out of the two, it has a faster buffer speed and camera speed. The image quality when printing 'gallery big' is sublime.

Sorry, didn't mean to infer that you did. ;)

D810 v D750 is somethig that I am condsidering also, for complex reason I have fallen out of love with my D700. After much reading on here and else where I am still stuck, and have swung from one to the other over the months. Shooting mainly landscape / holidays (but nothing serious) some sports days, livestock and would like to try some marco more. If I was to go D750 then think I would be going 'grey market' but at the minute the discount on D810 brings it in range of the Digitalrev advertised price.

I understand that the grip on the D750 is different to that on the D810. Can anyone say what that difference feels like, that may have either used both or has both?

D810 v D750 is somethig that I am condsidering also, for complex reason I have fallen out of love with my D700. After much reading on here and else where I am still stuck, and have swung from one to the other over the months. Shooting mainly landscape / holidays (but nothing serious) some sports days, livestock and would like to try some marco more. If I was to go D750 then think I would be going 'grey market' but at the minute the discount on D810 brings it in range of the Digitalrev advertised price.

I understand that the grip on the D750 is different to that on the D810. Can anyone say what that difference feels like, that may have either used both or has both?

I have both and can honestly say they have the same deep grip, The D750 is slightly smaller than the D810 but both are very similar and proportionate to the size of the camera. Certainly a big improvement to the D700,

Had a D800 and traded it in against a Fuji system. Used the Fuji for more shots in the first month than I had used the D800 in about a year. Now got a D750 and have used it about 3x as much in 2 or so months as I used the D800 in the year.
IF I needed the extra resolution of the D800 to allow heavier cropping, it would be worth me having that instead (who am I kidding? As well as!) but the D750 still allows some cropping and prints at A3+. I also intend using the D750 for some motorsport and the D800 was just a bit too slow in AF and frame rate for me while the D750 should be fine.
Both are fine cameras but the D750 is the choice I made.

I currently have a D800 and I've actively been considering chopping it in against a D750, the 36mp is great for some things and the build of the thing is great but considering most images end up for web use the 36mp is a bit overkill at times, makes for cracking prints on the wall though when desired!

So does the D750, although the ultimate size you can take it up to is smaller (A3+ is well within the 300dpi suggested resolution for printing).

Reasons for the D750:

Cheaper (insanely cheap on panamoz)
Smaller and Lighter
Tilt/Screen
U1/U2 quick settings (it's trump card imo)
Slightly faster fps
(slightly) Less noise at high ISO
Marginally better battery life (on paper)

Reasons for D810

More MP
Better colour depth/image qt (on paper - not a huge dif in practice)
Slightly better buffer

I see from your profile that you shoot a D4 Merv? I swapped my D4 bodies for two D750s and couldn't be happier - my wife is going to do the same and currently has her D4 bodies up for sale.

I'm deciding between the two at the moment myself, I've tried both out and for me the main differences were in the ergonomics (in terms of performance they were pretty much identical, a few differences here and there but nothing huge). I liked the D810's shutter sound, control layout, grip, and top LCD more (as a Fuji S5 user I felt more at home with the D810). But the savings you get from a D750 are quite substantial (which would allow me to get a 85/1.4G faster) and the flexible LCD on the back is nice.

I do like the eyepiece shutter on the back of the D810 invaluable for long exposures. I really detest slipping the rubber eyepiece and replacing it with the fiddly little black plastic eyepiece cap on the D750. If your into landscapes, portraits and studio work I would opt for the D810 it's also great for weddings. I use this as my primary camera with a D750 which is also great as a second. I just wish the D810 had an articulated monitor, that's one advantage over the D750 - both great cameras for different reasons !

I find the d750 to be the best wedding camera because its such a good all rounder. File size is an issue when you're shooting maybe up to two thousand images a day and ive never found myself needing the extra mp. The d750 u1 and u2 settings are invaluable for me when it comes to weddings - allowing me to quickly change from dark church to bright outdoor scenes. The quiet shutter is the only thing the d810 has on it imo.

I do agree on the eyepiece though.

I too am stuck between these two cameras, the d750 is a great body, but the current difference in price is "only" around £425 (panomoz) and for the money the d810 has a far more durable shutter, (200k actuation as opposed to 150k of the d750) which im surprised that no one has mentioned, it should help to ensure higher residual values, and a longer life. This point alone is surely worthy of a price premium.

I fully understand that 36mp is far more than most users will need, but surely the extra cropping factor will give the shooter far more flexibility in post. This could allow for the use of wider angle or zoom lenses in place of expensive long lenses (why buy a 400mm lens when you could just use your 200mm and crop in in post!) this is going to be helpful to sports and wildlife fans. And again makes the price difference look minimull, imho, Also the exta mp's will help to future proof your expensive new purchase. (The mp race is only going to go one way)

If you add to the above thoughts the fact that wedding and event togs will benefit from the ultra quiet shutter sound, and every user will surely welcome the more robust body construction, not to mention the 1/8000 top shutter speed, removal of the AA filter, better buffer capacity, better quality in XD crop mode, and faster flash sync, and all of a sudden the d810 looks like great value for money !!!

In all seriousness I fully understand that the price difference between these two models is a major factor to most buyers (myself included) and the d750 is still a fantastic camera for any purpose, but I've decided that the d810 is worth saving a little longer for.

But if any one can convince me otherwise, I'm all ears !!!

I too am stuck between these two cameras, the d750 is a great body, but the current difference in price is "only" around £425 (panomoz) and for the money the d810 has a far more durable shutter, (200k actuation as opposed to 150k of the d750) which im surprised that no one has mentioned, it should help to ensure higher residual values, and a longer life. This point alone is surely worthy of a price premium.

I fully understand that 36mp is far more than most users will need, but surely the extra cropping factor will give the shooter far more flexibility in post. This could allow for the use of wider angle or zoom lenses in place of expensive long lenses (why buy a 400mm lens when you could just use your 200mm and crop in in post!) this is going to be helpful to sports and wildlife fans. And again makes the price difference look minimull, imho, Also the exta mp's will help to future proof your expensive new purchase. (The mp race is only going to go one way)

If you add to the above thoughts the fact that wedding and event togs will benefit from the ultra quiet shutter sound, and every user will surely welcome the more robust body construction, not to mention the 1/8000 top shutter speed, removal of the AA filter, better buffer capacity, better quality in XD crop mode, and faster flash sync, and all of a sudden the d810 looks like great value for money !!!

In all seriousness I fully understand that the price difference between these two models is a major factor to most buyers (myself included) and the d750 is still a fantastic camera for any purpose, but I've decided that the d810 is worth saving a little longer for.

But if any one can convince me otherwise, I'm all ears !!!

How many photographers will actually get to 150k before replacing it, especially as new models are replaced less than 2 years apart these days.

Sure it gives more flexibility with cropping (IF you need it) in post but Im also a firm believer in frame it right in camera and give yourself less work, 24mp files are also much faster to edit. I really dont see any camera purchase as future proof.

Some users would prefer the smaller/lighter body, you just have to look at the D750 thread to see how many people have moved from D8xx/Dx series. I would sometimes find 1/8000 useful but the D750 offers me what I need for less money, very slightly faster flash sync, not an issue, I can sync at 1/4000 using HSS.

Tbh, It seems youve already made your choice.

Yes, it seems I have made up my mind. to be honest, none of the differences are a major game changer, it's more the fact that there are too many very minor advantages to ignore, even though if I'm being honest I'll proberbly never need most of those advantages (Hence the uncertanty).
If I do go for the 810 it will be a body that I intend to keep for a number of years, as I'm sure it will be more than a match for my humble abilities. But before I do press the buy it now button I will have a read through the D750 thread as you suggested, just to make sure I havnt missed something helpful.

Yes, it seems I have made up my mind. to be honest, none of the differences are a major game changer, it's more the fact that there are too many very minor advantages to ignore, even though if I'm being honest I'll proberbly never need most of those advantages (Hence the uncertanty).
If I do go for the 810 it will be a body that I intend to keep for a number of years, as I'm sure it will be more than a match for my humble abilities. But before I do press the buy it now button I will have a read through the D750 thread as you suggested, just to make sure I havnt missed something helpful.

If the D810 has things you like then buy it but both have model specific USPs, so I wouldnt say one model is clearly better than the other for every user. Enjoy the new camera.

Last edited:
In the end went with for the D810, as I got a better trade in than expected (plus the Nikon special that's on at the moment). Very initial thoughts as I have only put 50 shots on it.
  1. It is solid, not sure if it is slightly heavier than the D700.
  2. AF is a lot faster.
  3. ISO appears to be a lot cleaner.
  4. Image detail is everything I want, as sometimes I am needing to crop in post (one of the things I was disappointed with the D700 on).
  5. You don't get many shots on a 16Gb card.
  6. Yes file sizes are large, but it has not had any noticeable effect on the laptop.
  7. Would have liked it to have had two SD card slots, but this the only thing that would have been nice.

The D810 is often dismissed for anything other than studio work or landscapes, but with its fast shutter speed, buffer and ability to crop images significantly it is still ideal for sports. Here is one from the Tour De Yorkshire - 2nd stage yesterday.

With the cropping thing, crop d810 files too much and it can look a bit crap - even if the resultant image is still around 10-12mp.

Shooting with a D810 at the moment with some good primes 85mm 1.4 ,135mm f2 DC & 200mm f2.0 VR and yes good glass can produce some impressive images in the right hands (Not mine I hasten to add ) But I have had my humble Nikon 28-300VR on it of late and have to say I have grabbed a few really nice images from that combination too.
But I'm still more than happy with my D3 & D700:) They more than meet my needs.
I have looked at the D750 this year but apart from double pixel count it doesn't offer me anything over what I have I use a right angle finder which I prefer to a tilting rear screen.
If I was to buy something more up to date it would be the D810 if only for the versatility in cropping the image using good glass :)

Back