Nikon D810 will not tether to Lightroom 5,7

Edit My Images
No
MBP 13' early 2015 Retina - running macOS Sierra 10.12.4

ports - USB 3.0

Nikon D810

Lightroom 5.7 ........ Adobe say D810 is supported, (for tethering), in 5.7

both LR and OS - current - no updates signalled

I've gone through the troubleshooting threads on the web ......... but my D810 will not tether to my MBP

"no camera detected" - have gone through switching all on and off and using an "empty" SD card - but again no luck

I read something about Nikon being USB 3 version.1.1 ...... but Apple is still on USB 3 ver 1.0 and have yet to update ------is this the problem?

(the MBP recognises the connection as looking at the USB connection in the USB Device tree when the camera is connected to the MBP it states Nikon USB ver 1.10)

any ideas

Last edited:
I seem to remember an issue with the version of the Mac OS ie although 5.7 may support the camera the current version of the OS did not with that software.

That was based on some versions of CC so the same may apply to 5.7

I seem to remember an issue with the version of the Mac OS ie although 5.7 may support the camera the current version of the OS did not with that software.

That was based on some versions of CC so the same may apply to 5.7

It seems to be more that the USB versions are not compatible ........ surely many with a D810 have tried this and some must have been successful ...... LR is the latest stand alone I believe and the OS is uptodate

I don't regularly use Mac OS Bill, but suspect that it may be the version of LR. If the 'puter recognises the camera when you connect it and switch the camera on then LR needs updating. If the 'puter doesn't see the camera I'd be surprised.

You'll need to upgrade LR to get D810 tethering to work... otherwise C1 is about the only current choice.
I used Sofortbild previously, but it's broken now,

Steven - what do I upgrade to I have LR 5,7 - isn't that the latest standalone version?

Trying to upgrade 5,7 to 6 on my MBP ....... usual Adobe games forcing you into buying CC ....... which I have on 2 machines

BUT I want to upgrade the 5,7 Stand alone version that I have ............ no where on the Adobe site can I find the area where to do this ......... only buy a CC version

I thought the upgrade was US$79,95 .......... but I just cannot find how to buy the upgrade

HERE click on "buy now" and then change the option to "license upgrade." But you do know that LR 6 support is being discontinued right?

Thanks Steven - no I did not know that support for LR6 was being discontinued .. so Adobe are saying US$10 plus tax a month for CC, take it or leave it ........ pity ........ it's not the cost ..... I just don't like being forced into a change with the only alternative be a "rental" ...........

I looked at Capture One maybe 18 months ago and I did find the RAW files looked better than LR .... I just did not want to move across because I have used LR and PS since the beginning ......... but maybe now is the time to reconsider, (for my Laptop)

I already share CC with my son - one machine each .... but have always upgraded LR and kept a stand alone copy on my MBP .... I know that I can switch off LR CC on one machine and then On on another .... but I have always just wanted a stand alone app

Last edited:
Back