Nikon D810

trying to fight the urge. Someone tell me how rubbish this camera is!
If you don't have use for all of those MP's I certainly wouldn't get one... the file sizes and editing can be painful. I've had edit files reach 8GB+ (focus stacks/panos/edit layers). And yes, I'm using a fast/powerful machine.

Could someone post an image taken with a D700 and the same image taken with a D810 at a file size of below 500k and a pixel size of 1000 x 1000 max at 300 ppi

If you don't have use for all of those MP's I certainly wouldn't get one... the file sizes and editing can be painful. I've had edit files reach 8GB+ (focus stacks/panos/edit layers). And yes, I'm using a fast/powerful machine.

I already have a D800, not concerned about the file sizes of the D810 as I regularly am dealing with PSDs well above 8gb+ in size and printing large sizes in the end.

Ahh, but you can use RAW Small...

To be honest,I don't fully understand the Small RAW concept fully, I haven't seen any test data and I haven't even got hands on yet. I'm still keeping a watching brief and taking the information in.

My understanding is it's to speed up the shooting, combined with the new buffer. Remember, people wanted a more "all round general purpose" flexible pro workhorse camera - with the improved Faster AF - this is it ! ( although AF has nothing to do with File sizes obviously)

I've swapped over completely from Canon recently and have just been using my Fuji X-T1 for all needs but have missed the larger file sizes and IQ so have a D810 arriving tomorrow. Excited!! :)

Good man ! - I would be interested in your comments in comparison as to how the D810 compares with X-T1 images in the real world (not paper data) - enjoy !

As soon as I get my tax back from last year I'm going to buy one :)

Gives you an option between jpeg and raw? Which might be critical for those of us who shoot thousands of images... But like a lot of features, it's not for everyone

I struggle to understand the small RAW. Don't see a point in buying a camera with 36mp then crippling that image.
Exactly. The ff Nikon range should be something like the d4, top of the tree all rounder - d810 with large files and a pro body with say 16-24mp aimed at those that can't afford or don't need the mp of the other 2. If the 610 was a pro body it would be ideal but it isn't.

Exactly. The ff Nikon range should be something like the d4, top of the tree all rounder - d810 with large files and a pro body with say 16-24mp aimed at those that can't afford or don't need the mp of the other 2. If the 610 was a pro body it would be ideal but it isn't.

610 bar lay out and build is a nice machine, AF is a bit of a let down but a lot of pro's could surely use one ok if the file size of 810's is that big an issue. 2 wedding togs I know use 600's fine and they make a mint using them,

Its not about crippling the image, its about the user having options with RAW file sizes in exactly the same way you do with JPEG's.

Good example for me is the Photo Booth studio that we do at some weddings, we simply don't need 36mp, 9mp is perfect. I probably won't switch to SRAW for the fear of forgetting to switch back, but at least the option is there.

Last edited:
Its not about crippling the image, its about the user having options with RAW file sizes in exactly the same way you do with JPEG's.

Good example for me is the Photo Booth studio that we do at some weddings, we simply don't need 36mp, 9mp is perfect. I probably won't switch to SRAW for the fear of forgetting to switch back, but at least the option is there.

Use a D610 or D810 in DX mode if the count is too low, or a used D700.

Dx mode is OK ish, the problem I have with it on most fx bodies is that the viewfinder presentation of the dx area is not cleanly defined enough for anything other than nice slow careful shooting. A full black out of the outer area is really what you need, but never get.

Reactions: ST4
Gives you an option between jpeg and raw? Which might be critical for those of us who shoot thousands of images... But like a lot of features, it's not for everyone

Well to be fair, that applies to 99.9% of every DSLR or CSC produced in the last 5 years ! That's not what we have been discussing.

Dx mode is OK ish, the problem I have with it on most fx bodies is that the viewfinder presentation of the dx area is not cleanly defined enough for anything other than nice slow careful shooting. A full black out of the outer area is really what you need, but never get.

I've only used DX mode in the OVF, what happens in live view, you could switch to that to see the full image in DX

D810 #2 ordered, glad to have found a (slightly) smaller replacement that I'm happy with, still a little sad to say goodbye to my D3s's having shot 300k pics over the last few years with them. I'm going to hang onto one for swmbo to use, at least for a while and to see if Nikon do anything with the sensor in the A7S.

Well to be fair, that applies to 99.9% of every DSLR or CSC produced in the last 5 years ! That's not what we have been discussing.

No, I meant an option in-between jpeg and raw, ie a middle position :D

No, I meant an option in-between jpeg and raw, ie a middle position :D

Oh I see where your coming from but RAW is still a completely different file structure from a JPEG. It has to be one or the other not a mix of both in the middle ground if you catch my drift.

I actually like the outer frame not being greyed out... with fast moving subjects and narrow FOV (i.e. 800mm) it helps me get the subject in the FOV to start with. But, I have had it cause me to not realize I was in a crop mode when I didn't want to be.

Jeeze, it seems like the "marketing gimmicks" have become outright lies ("native ISO" and improved/extended range, sRaw). I wonder if they have decided to do the AAing with processing so they can tell us how great completely removing the AA/OLP filter is. Maybe they've just renamed it as an IR filter (it still has that doesn't it?).

Last edited:
How have they lied about native ISO?
Because it performs exactly the same... all they've done is relabeled a couple of them and added an additional, completely useless, ISO on top.
"Native ISO" is *supposed to mean* only analog gain is being applied (not digital). On both the D800/E the native ISO range is actually 100-1000.

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_e.htm

610 bar lay out and build is a nice machine, AF is a bit of a let down but a lot of pro's could surely use one ok if the file size of 810's is that big an issue. 2 wedding togs I know use 600's fine and they make a mint using them,
Am sure it is nice. Af a concern though and I very much prefer the bigger camera with better controls.

Because it performs exactly the same... all they've done is relabeled a couple of them and added an additional, completely useless, ISO on top.
"Native ISO" is *supposed to mean* only analog gain is being applied (not digital). On both the D800/E the native ISO range is actually 100-1000.

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_e.htm

Don't get to hung up on the the technicalities. From my perspective I'm not interested in the higher ISO. The fact is that ISO 64 is the new low base level (shame it's not 50!)

However, the ISO is just one aspect that has improved. There is the improved grip, battery life, quieter stronger titanium shutter. Increased buffer size, faster processing, faster shooting and increased AF performance and highlight metering mode.

Its not 'just' been cosmetically 'relabelled' as you suggest, there are quite a few modifications and improvements that make this a faster and more suitable general purpose camera.

I would add to the above that it doesn't suddenly make all the the D800 / D800e suddenly redundant overnight. They are great cameras in their own right. If your a committed landscape or studio photographer then upgrading wouldn't be worth it. however, if speed and AF has been a concern / issue / need, then the D810 is the way to go.

more suitable general purpose camera.

Nail head squarely hit! A lot of the IQ bashing on the net seems to be from aggravated D800/e owners, I keep saying it, IQ improvements is not what the D810 is about. I too like the ISO 64 base, means that I can get some nice shallow DOF when using OCF on location in bright conditions (coming from a base of 200 on the D3s's).

Regarding the D610 comments, I still regard it as being the best value camera Nikon make, body was a little small for me and the lack of 1 button press to zoom to 100% drove me nuts!

Last edited:
Don't get to hung up on the the technicalities. From my perspective I'm not interested in the higher ISO. The fact is that ISO 64 is the new low base level (shame it's not 50!)
What makes you so sure it is? They haven't actually changed anything about the sensor itself or the primary structure/architecture (other than removing the OLPF).

There is the improved grip, battery life, quieter stronger titanium shutter. Increased buffer size, faster processing, faster shooting and increased AF performance and highlight metering mode.
Agreed. The only "significant one" in the list *to me* is the AF... *IF* it's actually improved (I can see reasons why it would be). I wouldn't be quick to say titanium is stronger than kevlar/CF in this application... but it is quite likely lighter and therefore quieter w/ less vibration. YMMV; maybe all of it matters to you.

Its not 'just' been cosmetically 'relabelled' as you suggest
I only intended to suggest that specifically regarding the ISO range.

To me a D8xx is NOT a "general purpose camera." If you can only have one camera and you occasionally want/need the capabilities then fine, I get it. But used as a general purpose camera I'm willing to bet 90+% of the users are not getting much/any benefit from the increased capabilities 90+% of the time.

To me a D8xx is NOT a "general purpose camera." If you can only have one camera and you occasionally want/need the capabilities then fine, I get it. But used as a general purpose camera I'm willing to bet 90+% of the users are not getting much/any benefit from the increased capabilities 90+% of the time.

For me, my D800 isn't my only camera but I do use it quite widely ... wildlife, street candids, landscape etc and for me the resolution and dynamic range are well suited to all of these :)

Adobe have released Lightroom 5.6 and Camera Raw 8.6. This should mean D810 raw files can be edited within Lightroom and Photoshop :)

Hopefully we will start to see some more images...

Last edited:
Adobe have released Lightroom 5.6 and Camera Raw 8.6. This should mean D810 raw files can be edited within Lightroom and Photoshop :)

Hopefully we will start to see some more images...

It appears to work well.

Back