Nikon D810

Went to shrewsbury last week to see the Salmon leaping the weir and this Heron dropped in on us.
Not the best shot I have ever taken TBH but this JPEG just lept off the screen shot with
D810 AFS-VR 200mm f2.0 + TC E2.0 MK II
ISO 4000 1/1600sec at f5.6

Im gonna hate letting this kit go back when my friend comes back to collect it :( I do own the TC-E 20 II though :)

Balancing act by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

This was taken at the same time But not with D810 and 200mm f2.0
Take two by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Nikon 200 f2 is a stellar lens and the D810 a great body :)

It certainly is a great bit of kit I'm really impressed with the quality that it produces like they say though there is no substitute for good glass on any camera body :)

This was taken at the same time But not with D810 and 200mm f2.0
Not quite a fair comparison... You should have stopped down and pushed the ISO like you did w/ the D810 image. it also looks like you had better light for the first one...

The D810 is very nice, but I wouldn't necessarily trade in a D3s for one... I'd buy one to use *with* the D3s (I did).

Not quite a fair comparison... You should have stopped down and pushed the ISO like you did w/ the D810 image. it also looks like you had better light for the first one...

The D810 is very nice, but I wouldn't necessarily trade in a D3s for one... I'd buy one to use *with* the D3s (I did).
:) 2nd image It was in fact shot with my D3 1/1600 @f4 ISO 1800 70-200mm 2.8 VR with 1.4 X converter
Where as the the first image is D810 200mm f2.0 with a TC E20 II teleconverter they were shot within minutes of each other in more or less the same overcast light.

Last edited:
F/4 on the 2.8 w/ a 1.4xTC is wide open...f/5.6 on the f/2+2xTC is stopped down 1.

Correct the D810 was on a tripod the D3 handheld I was not trying to shoot a comparison or I would have set up identical settings and one lens and one fixed subject.
I was simply trying to illustrate you Like you said the D810 isn't the be all and end all of Nikon cameras like yourself I wouldn't part with my D3 or D700. I,m equally pleased with the shot from my D3 as I am with my friends D810.
BTW both images were shot in manual exposure with auto ISO activated hence ISO 1800 on one and a little over a stop on ISO of image with a stop difference on aperture !

Last edited:
I was simply trying to illustrate you Like you said the D810 isn't the be all and end all of Nikon cameras like yourself I wouldn't part with my D3 or D700. I,m equally pleased with the shot from my D3 as I am with my friends D810.
Ah, I got the opposite impression from your post... maybe I just assumed because this is the D810 lovers thread :).

I have a 3rd party grip for the D810 but rarely use it as it bulks up the size and weight a little for me !
But it does work absolutely fine !

image.jpg
Another D810 file shot using the much maligned K.R.s Top 10 worse Nikon lens the AFS 24-120mm VR 1 3.5/5.6 I don't see a lot wrong personally with this lens in fact I own two :)

Just about to pull the trigger and purchase a D810. One thing I overlooked, am I right in saying that there is no similar feature to other Nikon DSLR's regarding the U1 and U2 settings?

It was nice on my D600 where I could flick between U1 for bird-in-flight shots and U2 for stationary birds/wildlife.

Have they omitted this feature?

Many thanks,
Wez

Just about to pull the trigger and purchase a D810. One thing I overlooked, am I right in saying that there is no similar feature to other Nikon DSLR's regarding the U1 and U2 settings?

It was nice on my D600 where I could flick between U1 for bird-in-flight shots and U2 for stationary birds/wildlife.

Have they omitted this feature?

Many thanks,
Wez

Wez,

The D810 has four (4) 'Memory Banks' in lieu of the U1 / U2 setting. It's not a feature I personally use though. Hope that helps.

Back