Nikon D810

Ooh, that's a great price!

I had a look on a local used site and found that D800 goes for around €2000 [£1600-ish] - they beef up the package with some psare battt's or a third party grip and other little extras. So I imagine an E would fetch a bit more. Non listed on there currently. Not that I would sell, but I always leave my options open.

Last edited:
The price will no doubt drop a little in a few months but a new D800/E is still something like 2300 now, over 2 years on so not sure how much the 810 will drop. I'm guessing a couple of hundred max but D800 used prices are getting very low now!

A new D800E was £2,689 in June 2012 and it's £2,329 now - so there's a difference of £360 in the new price.

Last edited:
They've got the new Capture NX-D but it's nothing like Capture NX2 (which is in a different league).

Capture NX2 is by far the best software for dealing with NEF files - i.e. preparing & exporting them as TIFFs for editing in the other serious editors (Photoshop, Capture One Pro, etc). Capture NX-D is a lightweight by comparison.

Fair enough, i only saw the release stating NX-D was meant to replace NX2....

I personally use Adobe Camera Raw - i find for my workflow its easier, but can appreciate that Nikons own software would no doubt be a bit more capable for NEFs

It'll be interesting to see how DXOmark rate it. The D800E already scores 96, at the top of the listing. Will it get 98? 100!?

.... i only saw the release stating NX-D was meant to replace NX2 ....

You're right, NX-D is replacing CNX2 - that's the problem. They're ditching a real NEF editor for a glorified ViewNX2 - it's a disastrous decision. At the very least they should have added D810 support to CNX2.

What appeals to me is that they seem to have nailed the AF issue. Video on You Tube of a a kayak going over a waterfall and some drop, a number of exposures. Small fast moving object against a dark background and lots of reflections and highlights is not the easiest of subjects. At this junction I would point out that I am quite a cynic and won't be content to pass proper comment until I have tried it. That said this is very interesting and this camera has captured my attention.

What appeals to me is that they seem to have nailed the AF issue. Video on You Tube of a a kayak going over a waterfall and some drop, a number of exposures. Small fast moving object against a dark background and lots of reflections and highlights is not the easiest of subjects. At this junction Is would point out that I am quite a cynic and won't be content to pass proper comment until I have tried it. That said this is very interesting and this camera has captured my attention.

Ooh, that's a great price!

I had a look on a local used site and found that D800 goes for around €2000 [£1600-ish] - they beef up the package with some psare battt's or a third party grip and other little extras. So I imagine an E would fetch a bit more. Non listed on there currently. Not that I would sell, but I always leave my options open.

Seem to be a quite a surge on d800 sales on here recently, there are a few low shutter d800 on here for around £1300-1400 at present and that d800e for £1575. It going to be interesting to see what happens to d800 prices as the d810 rrp price drops over the next few months. I was thinking of a d700 but could be tempted by a d800/d800e in a few months if prices drop and I don't find a good d700. Now I'm got to decide which will be a better long term upgrade.

So Nikon again replace a camera that didn't need replacing while leaving out a pro body in the £1k-£1.5k area!

I'm more interested in the ISO 64 and I'm looking forward to seeing some stunning landscapes with it.

Same AF system as the D4 - redesigned front shutter to reduce vibration. This is not just a minor cosmetic upgrade, its quite a significant one in my opinion.

Is ISO64 the base ISO now. It was ISO 100 on D800 etc

ISO 100 there is no noise at all. Super clean even at iso400. I'm a little disappointed at iso800 noise is quite noticeable on d800 files. I was hoping they'd be super clean off this new body.

Seem to be a quite a surge on d800 sales on here recently, there are a few low shutter d800 on here for around £1300-1400 at present and that d800e for £1575. It going to be interesting to see what happens to d800 prices as the d810 rrp price drops over the next few months. I was thinking of a d700 but could be tempted by a d800/d800e in a few months if prices drop and I don't find a good d700. Now I'm got to decide which will be a better long term upgrade.
Hi Rob, they are both lovely cameras and I'm sure which ever you get will be a game changer. It's all down to how much you have got to spend and how long you want to wait... I can't see the value of the 800 dropping that rapidly yet. I love my 700 but I guess it will be increasingly difficult to find a low mileage one. The 800 is still being sold retail so maybe your more likely to find a low mileage one. (I think I'd try and hold our for a 800).
Good luck with your search!

So Nikon again replace a camera that didn't need replacing while leaving out a pro body in the £1k-£1.5k area!

New Nikon F6 if you can find one still gathering dust on it's box in Grays of Westminster or similar.

It simply isn't going to happen with a DSLR that market has moved on, unless you want to switch to Sony....

I see that the D810 is being assembled in Thailand whereas the D800/E came out of the Japan factory. Makes me wonder if the auto focus problems in some D800's were down to quality control in the Japanese factory. It could, of course, be purely a matter of costs.

Is ISO64 the base ISO now. It was ISO 100 on D800 etc

ISO 100 there is no noise at all. Super clean even at iso400. I'm a little disappointed at iso800 noise is quite noticeable on d800 files. I was hoping they'd be super clean off this new body.

Range is cited 64 - 12,800 ISO. Nikon claim that this will produce the highest quality image in their history. However, in real terms this remains to be seen. I haven't seen any independent tests or reviews to support that proposition.

Whilst many people labeled the D800 / D800E as a 'landscape camera' the new specification readdress the balance. It's much more suited to GP photography with the addition of the same Expeed 4 processor as the D4S and cluster focusing. The new shutter and sequencer, provides better performance, faster AF focusing. The ability to reduce RAW files to a 1/4 of the size and resolution is also a bonus to speed up workflow. But the the full size is still there as an option. A very shrewd move from Nikon if you ask me. On some forums people are dismissing this as a minor upgrade, that may be the case or maybe they haven't realised or understood the specifications but Nikon have just plugged in the 'speed module' that was lacking but without compromising the outstanding quality of its siblings.

All this is academic of course, the real test will be in the reviews and independent test reports and visible evidence in the form of prints and images. I'm going to see what happens over the next six months or so; watch prices fall, if there is a Nikon promotion in January as in previous years I just might be tempted.........

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

The more I think about it, the less worth it it seems for D800 users to 'upgrade' to. I think it's more a side step than upgrade. Your end image is going to be almost identical.

The ability to reduce RAW files to a 1/4 of the size and resolution is also a bonus to speed up workflow. But the the full size is still there as an option. A very shrewd move from Nikon if you ask me. On some forums people are dismissing this as a minor upgrade
I stand by what I said in my original post, that's really something that should have been implemented in the D800 anyway and if they had, they would have appealed and sold to more customers.

Yeah, agree. If I was a D700 owner who was a little hesitant before, I'd be jumping on this one. Time to catch up :) But say, a current |D800?E owner, pondering on trading up - don't think it's worth it. For what you'll get now for your D800, you'll have to add a grand or more to get this latest update ... nah ..

to me its what the d800 or d800e should have been..i personally am waiting for photokina and see what canon have got up there sleeve.i think its goin to be something special that will put canon back in the lead..and then sont hopefully will release a 3 layer sensor ,,then Nikon will get the sensor off sony and everyone will be happy..here is hoping lol

It's like Monty Python round here sometimes..

'Yes... but apart from the new sensor, the wider ISO range, the new RAW S format, the group AF, the highlight weighted metering, the faster frame rates, the front shutter curtain, the built in stereo microphone, the bigger monitor, the longer battery life and all the other minor improvements... What have the Nikons ever done for us!'

'Yes... but apart from the new sensor, the wider ISO range, the new RAW S format, the group AF, the highlight weighted metering, the faster frame rates, the front shutter curtain, the built in stereo microphone, the bigger monitor, the longer battery life and all the other minor improvements... What have the Nikons ever done for us!'

The D800 ISO performance is already good enough for most, faster fps? - not many sport shooters will use a D800/810 anyway, the 1 extra doesn't do much for landscape/portrait/studio in general shooters - not many who own the D800 use the video function and the battery life, IMO , is already great on the D800E. You can make the list as long as you desire, but end of the day, there's only a few minor bumps that do not warrant the expense to current D800 users.

I don't think this camera is aimed at existing D800 / E users it's to plug the gap that exists in the current Nikon pro-line up that's been missing for a few years. As I mentioned in my previous post it's an excellent GP camera. No reason why it couldn't be used for sports with these specifications and will undoubtedly become a second body for some D4 / D4s sports / press users.

Interestingly, the sample images posted on Flickr by Nikon France that everyone has been linking too have now been taken down. Maybe they've realised they weren't really that impressive. There are no Nikon/Nikon sponsored sites now linking to any full res images as samples.

Interestingly, the sample images posted on Flickr by Nikon France that everyone has been linking too have now been taken down. Maybe they've realised they weren't really that impressive. There are no Nikon/Nikon sponsored sites now linking to any full res images as samples.

Strange is that - I can find some of the thumbnails, but they no longer link to full size images.

The whinging is bewildering. Nikon users already have perhaps the best all-round DSLR in the D800/E, and now the D810 is even better - particularly in the areas where the D800/E was weakest, ie sport, action, and in quite a few other areas.

The improvements may be second-division features in the overall spec, but there are quite a few of them and they add up. Also, if you happen to particularly want or need them, they become first-division.

The whinging is bewildering. Nikon users already have perhaps the best all-round DSLR in the D800/E, and now the D810 is even better - particularly in the areas where the D800/E was weakest, ie sport, action, and in quite a few other areas.

The improvements may be second-division features in the overall spec, but there are quite a few of them and they add up. Also, if you happen to particularly want or need them, they become first-division.

It's "whinging" to have opinions and discuss new gear that's not even out yet? where our money may potentially go to? You go and blow your wad on it without thinking if you desire, but I think we can all speak for ourselves on it. It's not whinging, it's called pondering, discussing, looking at the broader picture ... etc ... try it. Instead of whinging about the 'whingers' - early adapter. You shouldn't feel such a need to defend the fact you just can't help but jump at the shiney new toys :p

Last edited:
I've no idea what there is to whinge about. It's faster, has a massive buffer, and a shed load of really nice features above and beyond the already fabulous D800 (including the AF... that was already really nice), some seriously nice video features that challenge the 5D MkIII.
There's just no pleasing some people :)

It's "whinging" to have opinions and discuss new gear that's not even out yet? where our money may potentially go to? You go and blow your wad on it without thinking if you desire, but I think we can all speak for ourselves on it. It's not whinging, it's called pondering, discussing, looking at the broader picture ... etc ... try it. Instead of whinging about the 'whingers' - early adapter. You shouldn't feel such a need to defend the fact you just can't help but jump at the shiney new toys :p

Thanks for that insight into my motivation Keith. You might have noticed that I'm a Canon user, and haven't upgraded since the 5D2, but I know a good new camera when I see one.

I've no idea what there is to whinge about. It's faster, has a massive buffer, and a shed load of really nice features above and beyond the already fabulous D800 (including the AF... that was already really nice), some seriously nice video features that challenge the 5D MkIII.
There's just no pleasing some people :)

Quite :)

It's because Nikon continue to skip the middle ground. There is still no d300 replacement, and tbh I would have liked to have seen a 16-24mp d700 replacement. Between 1-2k you pretty much only have the d610 but I prefer the 300/700 body style.

Back