Nikon D810

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
I have been fortunate to own a D700 and a D3. Ive added a D810 and found that it constantly over exposes. Ive read today that since my two earlier cameras that Nikon has changed the setup of their cameras to answer complaints that the pictures were to dark. I will have to play with the exposure compensation mode to get my setup right. Have anyone else had a similar experience.

I have been working since some years with
the D3S, D3X and D800E. I rely heavily on
these tools to repeat operations in any setup
I give in but the first decision is always mine
and based on the trusty histogram.

If Nikon changed anything I am not aware of
and, in my approach to work, totally irrelevant.

I remember some internet videos professing
the SttR (shoot to the right) nonsense that is
not any good teaching either.

You don't need to expose to the right on fx nikon! I used to on crop sensor though

It will obviously depend on the type of shot

but what metering mode do you usually use ............ I normally add one third of a stop when using spot metering .........+1/3EV
there are also 2 Auto WB settings - one which controls the highlights

Last edited:
Thanks its set as yours. I do a lot of aviation photography and havent really had a problem with exposure before, just with the D810. Its clearly me and I just need to get used to the camera.

No issues here with the D810 over-exposing :)

Can you fine tune the exposure for each metering mode on the D810 like you can on the D750 to save having to use exp comp each time?

Gramps, sadly I just reset all setting in the menu and it was fixed. I cannot think of anything I altered which may have caused the issue. I now shoot on auto ISO.

Back