Nikon D850… a personal review.

I would understand if the shutter life expectancy would have gone up.
But it remains at 200K.
You could think, well they had to change some part to raise its durability to 300K.
But I suspect they could make it very quiet and or more durable, however it would cost them more to make.

Havent noticed much of a difference between my D810 and my D850. Slightly louder but not to a degree that it would annoy me or others around me. I plan to try and photograph what is likely to be the most wary bird in Scotland in the next few weeks so that will be the acid test.
I am guessing because Daniel is in a wooden hide it’s almost enhancing the sound inside

I was embarrassed by the noise level of the trigger… and to be looked
at by all these faces with an expression of horror did not make it any
easier on me. The D800E was quite loud and I was very impressed by
much quieter D810! :) … but the D850 seems to be as loud — if not
louder – than the D800E! :eek:

I agree about the shutter, sounds awful and quiet mode isn't very quiet at all. When you're shooting at events, or a Carol Service as I am next week you really don't want to be making a big noise. There is a silent mode in live view but that's impractical for events. Image quality is excellent though, and I'll be using it for video over the next few days where I expect it'll excel too.

I don't understand why people complain about video on DSLRs, if you don't use it that's fine but some of us do and the results can be fantastic, it saves carrying a dedicated video camera.

Last edited:
You could think, well they had to change some part to raise its durability to 300K.
But I suspect they could make it very quiet and or more durable, however it would cost them more to make.

In the LiveView mode, since there are no triggering, any
"silent" shot won't be registered in the total count!

I am guessing because Daniel is in a wooden hide it’s almost enhancing the sound inside

You mean as if I am shooting from the inside of my guitar? :D:D:D

I don't understand why people complain about video on DSLRs, if you don't use it that's fine but some of us do and the results can be fantastic, it saves carrying a dedicated video camera.

Without the video features, like in my D3X, the camera
could be possibly cheaper and/or better as a dedicated
photographic tool!

My D500 and Df are certainly quieter than the D850, which I use most of them all. And for wildlife (so far birds mainly ) and landscapes.

If sound is really that unruly and the camera is on legs then use the silent-shutter in Lview. This is one the top features of the D850 I find it a huge bonus for sensitive wildlife . And it delivers up to 6 fps in this mode

use the silent-shutter in Lview. This is one the top features of the D850 I find it a huge bonus for sensitive wildlife . And it delivers up to 6 fps in this mode
This is well known, really… and a great plus for static
subjects but trying to get BiF in that mode… :confused:

But, if the birds are in flight then it shouldn't matter if the shutter is inordinately loud? If the birds are on land or in water, couldn't you use silent shutter? Have you already seen birds take flight because of the shutter noise when you're in the blind?

But, if the birds are in flight then it shouldn't matter if the shutter is inordinately loud? If the birds are on land or in water, couldn't you use silent shutter? Have you already seen birds take flight because of the shutter noise when you're in the blind?

It isn't the birds he's frightening it's the other photographers! :D

they're stuck with Canons

Yep… but, mind you, most are very proud of their gear as
they spend a lot for that. I noticed, though, they ended the
usual jokes when they had a glimpse at the files! :cool:

Been taking more stills at an event today, I really think it sounds terrible to the point where I felt it was a distraction. I’m not usually bothered about these things but it’s a big step back in that sense from the D810

Been taking more stills at an event today, I really think it sounds terrible to the point where I felt it was a distraction. I’m not usually bothered about these things but it’s a big step back in that sense from the D810

At last… :agree:

The same when I got the D800E… sounded loud and cheap!
After shooting with the D3S and D3X that are loud too but sound
so solid, the D800E, like the D850, sounded so thin and cheap.
The D810 is really something special in this regard!

Last edited:
I have taken quite a few platypus photos. There is nothing more frustrating than to see a platypus swim to within a metre or two of where you are standing, only to get a disappearing platypus bum as he hears the mirror go up. Some animals don't care, but some definitely do.

Yes, I know… we all read about the cool improvements promised
by the manufacturer, and the comments of the ambassadors, and
the wanna be reviewers, and from some stores, and… :rolleyes:

I know. as well, that I'm just a very long time Nikon user with, just like
everybody else, some expectations when some evolutions come in
the form of new bodies, lenses or else.

These are my views, or reviews, on the D850 I got yesterday which,
after the set ups, I was hoping to test today. :whistle:

Sure, I saw all the improvements and new features presented on the
web but one thing pyssed me off to the highest level. Right after gree-
ting everyone at the marsh observation station, I did set up to test the
new camera as the others were there to shoot for real. Peace and quiet
came back in the place until… I shot the first test shot.

I was embarrassed by the noise level of the trigger… and to be looked
at by all these faces with an expression of horror did not make it any
easier on me. The D800E was quite loud and I was very impressed by
much quieter D810! :) … but the D850 seems to be as loud — if not
louder – than the D800E! :eek:

Some received with great pleasure the video improvements… I don't
shoot videos so I couldn't care less but a quieter camera…
I recently tested the D850 in B&H and thought the shutter sounded very nice, certainly quieter and less ‘clanky’ than my D750 and the D5 I also tested in store. Can’t comment in comparison to the D810 but if/when I swap from the D750 the D850’s shutter will be very welcomed.

I hated the sound of the D800E shutter, I remember shooting a Christening in a very quiet church, you could almost hear a pin drop at one point ... but it might have been drowned out by that coil-spring-twang-ish *Ca-Chunk* of me taking a picture.

I don't care about the loud cos I am deaf! [emoji23]

I am not bothered by the noise itself, really, but
by the effect it has on wildlife and other toggers. :D

There was invention for this for SLR`s called a blimp. Used for wildlife, police etc.

The pictures below may be modern dslr`s in there, not sure ?

A sound blimp is a housing attached to a camera which reduces the sound caused by the shutter click, particularly SLRs. It is primarily used in film still photography, so as not to interfere with the shooting of principal photography, and also in other situations where sound is distracting: theatrical photography, surveillance, and wildlife photography.

It was invented by Irving Jacobson in the mid-1960s, and revolutionized film still photography by allowing stills to be taken during shooting, rather than after the fact.[1]

blimp%2B6.jpg

Masha-+1.JPG

There was invention for this for SLR`s called a blimp. Used for wildlife, police etc.

Well aware of those contraptions… quite expensive is a third
argument after the questionable efficiency and the bulk! :cool:

Younger, when working as set photographer in movie produc-
tions and television studios and I had a chance to try some of
the blimps solutions… At the time, the only acceptable solution
was a RF body.

Last edited:
Back