Nikon d850 "in development"

I'm also in that Facebook group. I upgraded from a D810. I was never chasing megapixels, it was the many other improvements that made me change. I love the thumb focus selector, higher resolution flip screen, focus stacking, 9fps(when grip arrives) silent shutter and many more fine tweaks. Megapixels was well down the list and only for the reason of cropping power.
Indeed. But I didn't mention Steven X when I made my comment. I was generalising.

And (based on some of the mind boggling things I've read) I stand by my comments ;)

So with the D850 all you need is a nice sharp prime no longer than 100mm...simply crop to simulate anything up to 800mm?:D
It's not as ridiculous as you think. The pixel count may at least mean that teleconverters don't bring anything to the table. Just crop to the field-of-view you want. The loss of sharpness might be less than the TC would lose.

I'm a member of a Facebook D850 group. Reading some of the comments on there it is very apparent to me that many people are buying the D850 without any real consideration about if it's something they need or will get the best from. Seriously, some of the questions I've read would be understandable if they were coming from someone who has just bought their first D3000 camera. But a D850 - seriously?

Anyway, I don't really care, people can spend their money on what they like. And if they waste their money of something that's totally beyond their needs then good luck to them. I've done it a million times myself :D But it did get me thinking one thing.....

WHY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OF DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY ARE PEOPLE STILL CHASING MEGAPIXELS??

The people in the marketing departments of Nikon/Canon etc must be stitches. They have the easiest job in the entire world.

"We could include in body image stabilisation, focus stacking, wifi, medium and small raw, video, a coffee maker, tv etc. But after careful consideration we feel the most important thing is that it has 100mp's. And a direct link to instagram"

Job done.

Think I might be in the group as well, my reason for a D850 is simple, other cameras getting old, sell them all and get something new with warranty.

Mike

2017-11-19-150406-D85_0956-original.jpg

Yesterdays test, ISO 25600 - not the purpose it was bought for but always interesting to test

To equally compare both were fitted with a Nikon 28-300, cameras both set to Auto ISO, 1/800s and f5.6 - High ISO NR used, other than resizing for here no other editing used

Whilst my assistant shot on the D500 frm a different position and ISO 20000

2017-11-19-150500-M50_5822-edit.jpg

The 1st image is at f/5, the 2nd image is at f/5.6

Not being pedantic at all. the man is comparing like for like and it's not the case. :) smiley attached for anyone that thinks I'm that bothered about it

Not being pedantic at all. the man is comparing like for like and it's not the case. :) smiley attached for anyone that thinks I'm that bothered about it
If you're not bothered why comment?? And as a canon user why don't you go troll elsewhere?

I'm also in that Facebook group. I upgraded from a D810. I was never chasing megapixels, it was the many other improvements that made me change. I love the thumb focus selector, higher resolution flip screen, focus stacking, 9fps(when grip arrives) silent shutter and many more fine tweaks. Megapixels was well down the list and only for the reason of cropping power.
Its the exact same story with the A7r3!!!

I'd like to upgrade to the D850 one day (from a D800), if only for getting away from the magenta noise in dark conditions.

View attachment 114976

Yesterdays test, ISO 25600 - not the purpose it was bought for but always interesting to test

To equally compare both were fitted with a Nikon 28-300, cameras both set to Auto ISO, 1/800s and f5.6 - High ISO NR used, other than resizing for here no other editing used

Whilst my assistant shot on the D500 frm a different position and ISO 20000

View attachment 114979
Noise reduction was used so test invalid.

Noise reduction was used so test invalid.

Just in case you're serious...

I used to post pictures with next to nothing done to them to show what the equipment could do but maybe posting completed pictures after processing is better as it gives more idea what can be achieved with the kit... so long as the person posting isn't a processing God :D

Back