Nikon d850 "in development"

Interesting... very interesting. Shame no specs but it'll be a beast.

I am guessing it'll have the following....

Base ISO 64
Sony 42.2mp Sensor
6-7fps with deep buffer
Nikon D5 AF system
Dual xQD Slots

Disappointing, rumours were that they were going to announce the camera not that they're making one. The whole world's known that for months already :rolleyes:

Disappointing, rumours were that they were going to announce the camera not that they're making one. The whole world's known that for months already :rolleyes:

Perhaps, due to the D750 fiasco, they'll double checking their D850's! :eek:

I'm sure the d850 will be awesome, if we ever see it, And I hope it isn't invisable like the entire DL range of cameras was.
I owned a d750 (briefly). But nikons service engineers took more pictures with it than I ever did. In the end I lost confidence with nikon as a brand, sold all my gear, (after 35 years of loyalty) and went mirror less with panasonic. And I can honestly say I have never looked back (due to having a bad neck from lugging fx gear around for 35 years)
I'm sorry Nikon, the d850 is already far too late arriving for me. Your competition has moved on, and so have many of your customers. You are fast becoming slow, and irrelevant in a market that has left you behind, and your once proud reputation for quality, reliability and performance is now in tatters.

Reactions: TG.
I think we are reaching a point where mirrorless is now starting to overcome the technical hurdles and the quality of aps-c and m4/3s sensors is improving considerably. The sensor in the OMD em1mkii is really good for a 4/3s.

Meh ... I would have been excited 2 years ago, when I was shooting the D800E and didn't think a D810 was enough of an upgrade. But it seems to me manufacturers are more concerned with the videography/vlogger side when it comes to improvements nowadays. I mean, how much better can they make still photography? What will this 850 do for photography that cannot already be done?

Meh ... I would have been excited 2 years ago, when I was shooting the D800E and didn't think a D810 was enough of an upgrade. But it seems to me manufacturers are more concerned with the videography/vlogger side when it comes to improvements nowadays. I mean, how much better can they make still photography? What will this 850 do for photography that cannot already be done?
I wish they'd ditch video on DSLR and make them cheaper. I've been looking forward to this camera as it could have everything I've wanted on the D750, ie increased res (for the time I need to crop) but with the option for smaller files, wider AF spread and larger buffer. It needs to have a tilt screen though.

I don't think ditching video would make them significantly cheaper - you need the hardware for live view. The blurb implies it just might be (finally!) what the D700 was - an all-purpose FX camera with decent resolution and speed (by the standards of the time) in a semi-pro body. But of course we'll have to wait for the specs. The D5 went from a 'Nikon are developing' pre-announcement to a proper announcement in a couple of months, and was on-sale a couple of months after that. In the shops by Christmas?

I wish they'd ditch video on DSLR and make them cheaper. I've been looking forward to this camera as it could have everything I've wanted on the D750, ie increased res (for the time I need to crop) but with the option for smaller files, wider AF spread and larger buffer. It needs to have a tilt screen though.

I do like a tilt screen, I prefer my XT-1 to my old D800E for a couple of reasons, and the tilt screen might be one! So handy for macro, and I do like to dabble in that a bit. Things like 8K timelapse however, don't interest me whatsoever. Feels like they're concentrating more on pleasing the videographers. I preferred when these things were separate too.

Well we now have nice lineup of announced nikons; 3x DL bodies, one FF mirrorless and a FF DSLR. Now only if they'll announce an APS-C and some lenses, the announced nikon system will be complete :D

:nikon:

Last edited:
Well it's definitely on the way,

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/announcement-d850-dslr.page

But Nikon do really need to get their act together they've had more total recalls than Arnold Schwarzenegger, if they can't get things right they will be going the way of Bowens, such a shame with the innovation they showed back when the D3 D700 and D300 came out, they are now lagging behind, lets hope things get better, I couldn't afford to change my whole system :)

Well it's definitely on the way,

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/announcement-d850-dslr.page

But Nikon do really need to get their act together they've had more total recalls than Arnold Schwarzenegger, if they can't get things right they will be going the way of Bowens, such a shame with the innovation they showed back when the D3 D700 and D300 came out, they are now lagging behind, lets hope things get better, I couldn't afford to change my whole system :)
Yeah, they can't really afford any more slip ups. This is their top end non sports camera so it needs to be good.

I think we should all get our lab coats ready for the launch, should be an interesting few months
Well if you want to buy one and send it my way I'd be happy to test it ;)

I wonder what price it'll be, a A7RII can be had for £2500 (or £1800 grey) so it'll be interesting to see where the D850 will sit. Similar price to that of the 5DIV I suspect of £3500.

Last edited:
Let's be honest for most of us current camera technology isn't what's holding us back, cameras probably outperform 90+% of users. I can see the D850 being a great camera but I feel it's going to be an incremental performance increase on the D810 (which is already probably one of the best Nikon DSLRs ever produced) for quite a large outlay (im going to guess it's going to be £3K- it's probably better spending that on a fast f2.8 prime lens if you don't have one already).

The two D750 recalls haven't done much good for nikons name, although it has to be asked how many D750 owners have actually come across the problems in actual shooting situations? I've yet to see any issue on mine and it's needed the recall for nearly a year. I know some have had issues but do wonder if we hear about the faulty ones more due to Internet forums/social media. In a couple of years time we are likely to see beyond the recalls and see the D750 as possibly one of the best bang for buck performing FX DSLR of recent times, and the D810 as a high MP fantastic performing FX DSLR. Let's hope the D810 isnt going to be known as the last Nikon camera without an issue (I seem to remember some D800's had a outer focus point issue and D600 with its oil issue). A D810 going at the right price due to D850 upgraders could be tempting. I wonder how many D810s we are going to see in the classifieds soon?

Let's be honest for most of us current camera technology isn't what's holding us back, cameras probably outperform 90+% of users. I can see the D850 being a great camera but I feel it's going to be an incremental performance increase on the D810 (which is already probably one of the best Nikon DSLRs ever produced) for quite a large outlay (im going to guess it's going to be £3K- it's probably better spending that on a fast f2.8 prime lens if you don't have one already).

The two D750 recalls haven't done much good for nikons name, although it has to be asked how many D750 owners have actually come across the problems in actual shooting situations? I've yet to see any issue on mine and it's needed the recall for nearly a year. I know some have had issues but do wonder if we hear about the faulty ones more due to Internet forums/social media. In a couple of years time we are likely to see beyond the recalls and see the D750 as possibly one of the best bang for buck performing FX DSLR of recent times, and the D810 as a high MP fantastic performing FX DSLR. Let's hope the D810 isnt going to be known as the last Nikon camera without an issue (I seem to remember some D800's had a outer focus point issue and D600 with its oil issue). A D810 going at the right price due to D850 upgraders could be tempting. I wonder how many D810s we are going to see in the classifieds soon?
Current tech doesn't hold us back, but there are things that can make life easier such as a wide AF spread. Increased frame rate can also help in certain situations too, then there's extra resolution for those times that we need to crop due to subject distance. These for me are not limitations of the photographer per se, just that we have managed to work around these things in the past.

Let's be honest for most of us current camera technology isn't what's holding us back, cameras probably outperform 90+% of users.

This^
Other than occasionally cursing my D700's (relative) lack of resolution when it came to major cropping, I've never felt held back using a camera that was Nikon's first generation full frame.

I wonder how many D810s we are going to see in the classifieds soon?

Not mine - I'm looking at two or three models down the line before I consider replacing it. I've had my D700 since January 2009, and only bought the D810 last year because a well paid commission meant I could indulge in one. I'd still be happily using the D700 as my primary camera if it hadn't!

shame with the innovation they showed back when the D3 D700 and D300 came out, they are now lagging behind, lets hope things get better, I couldn't afford to change my whole system :)
With regards to the cameras mentioned, how are the current equivalents, the D5 and D500, lagging behind? :thinking: As far as DSLRs are concerned the D5 is arguably as good, if not better, than the 1DXII. The Sony a9 may have some features better than both of those, but as a whole package for many it is not there yet.

The D500 blew the 7DII away, and I'm not sure there is anything mirrorless to touch it either. :thinking:

Some say the D700 has never been replaced, but there are a lot of D750 users that have been very happy with their cameras from what I have read. If they haven't had problems of course. ;) :LOL: Some moved from the D700 to the D800, and again, many have been very happy with the D800, and the D810.

The problem Nikon have is doing enough with the D850 to tempt those D800 users who didn't upgrade to the D810, but even harder, those that did. ;) And then what can the offer other users to upgrade or switch! :thinking:

If you have a camera from the last 2-3 years, unless there is a quantum leap in tech (doubtful), or you want specific features you haven't got, most people have a good enough camera. Huge improvements in DSLRs is difficult because they are at a point where they are good enough for anything anyone wants to do. Bigger leaps in mirrorless cameras are possible, but then a lot of them are to equal the features of DSLRs first, ;)and then start to surpass them. All my opinion of course. ;)

As for the announcement, on the actual day of their 100th Anniversary, according to their email about the D850, I expected more than 'we will make a camera sometime soon'. :( :rolleyes:

With regards to the cameras mentioned, how are the current equivalents, the D5 and D500, lagging behind? :thinking: As far as DSLRs are concerned the D5 is arguably as good, if not better, than the 1DXII. The Sony a9 may have some features better than both of those, but as a whole package for many it is not there yet.

The D500 blew the 7DII away, and I'm not sure there is anything mirrorless to touch it either. :thinking:

Some say the D700 has never been replaced, but there are a lot of D750 users that have been very happy with their cameras from what I have read. If they haven't had problems of course. ;) :LOL: Some moved from the D700 to the D800, and again, many have been very happy with the D800, and the D810.

The problem Nikon have is doing enough with the D850 to tempt those D800 users who didn't upgrade to the D810, but even harder, those that did. ;) And then what can the offer other users to upgrade or switch! :thinking:

If you have a camera from the last 2-3 years, unless there is a quantum leap in tech (doubtful), or you want specific features you haven't got, most people have a good enough camera. Huge improvements in DSLRs is difficult because they are at a point where they are good enough for anything anyone wants to do. Bigger leaps in mirrorless cameras are possible, but then a lot of them are to equal the features of DSLRs first, ;)and then start to surpass them. All my opinion of course. ;)

As for the announcement, on the actual day of their 100th Anniversary, according to their email about the D850, I expected more than 'we will make a camera sometime soon'. :( :rolleyes:
Agreed, Nikon seem to always bring out better cameras than the Canon equivalent. Also, preference of colours aside there's not doubt that generally the modern Nikons are better than the older ones with better noise handling, better colour depth, better dynamic range, better AF systems, more features, better liveview etc etc. The only area where older cameras may be better is in build quality.

Current tech doesn't hold us back, but there are things that can make life easier such as a wide AF spread. Increased frame rate can also help in certain situations too, then there's extra resolution for those times that we need to crop due to subject distance. These for me are not limitations of the photographer per se, just that we have managed to work around these things in the past.
I can understand those points, I would love a little extra AF spread but it is something I've learnt to live with. I think the personal debate will always be benefits versus cost. If the benefits are only incremental it's soon outweighed by the cost especially if we are talking of £2-3k (sometimes head and heart don't say the same thing!)

Of course the camera is one of the less important links in the chain when getting the shot you want, at least beyond a certain minimum level that Nikon achieved years ago. If I get a bad shot with my old D300, it's nearly always entirely my fault. Still, that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. When I upgraded to the D800, a couple of things mentioned above were basically downgrades - the narrow spread of the AF points made focusing more fiddly, despite Nikon's improved AF module, and the framerate was significantly lower, making the D800 less of a general purpose camera (one reason I've kept the D300, and have even bought a grip to get 8fps). Whether I'll want to spring for the upgrade is another matter (I'm using the X100T a lot these days), but the idea of a 'do everything' fast FX camera is certainly attractive.

I think we are reaching a point where mirrorless is now starting to overcome the technical hurdles and the quality of aps-c and m4/3s sensors is improving considerably. The sensor in the OMD em1mkii is really good for a 4/3s.
Yes your right but as the saying goes 'there ain't no replacement for displacement". The same sensor tech can be applied to bigger sensors which puts them streaks ahead again.

I agree, indeed a range of garish colour coded top plates that could be replaced on the camera would be completely pointless yet more use than 8k timelapse. At least to me....:

Yes I probably went a bit over the top there, lol, it's just the frustration of seeing the recent recalls, particularly with the D750, I think this is the third recall now, if I had purchased one of these I would be fuming, it kind of makes you think you need to wait quite a bit for a new model to be in circulation for at least 8 months before you think of buying one, just in case, and it really shouldn't be like this, you should be able to buy with confidence knowing you won't be shipping it back to Nikon in a couple of months

Agreed, Nikon seem to always bring out better cameras than the Canon equivalent. Also, preference of colours aside there's not doubt that generally the modern Nikons are better than the older ones with better noise handling, better colour depth, better dynamic range, better AF systems, more features, better liveview etc etc. The only area where older cameras may be better is in build quality.

I find this very interesting. If you look further into Japanese culture you'll realise this is all driven from the very top of the Japanese government.

Competition is fierce and they all want to be the best, but it's guaranteed Sony's advances in respect of the A9 etc will quickly be filtered onwards to the other Japanese camera manufacturers.

Marketing genius all round.

They do the exact same in the machine tool industry making all their suppliers 'compete' with each other (Mori Seiki, Mitsubushi, Matsuura).

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers, Dougie.

Yes I probably went a bit over the top there, lol, it's just the frustration of seeing the recent recalls, particularly with the D750, I think this is the third recall now, if I had purchased one of these I would be fuming, it kind of makes you think you need to wait quite a bit for a new model to be in circulation for at least 8 months before you think of buying one, just in case, and it really shouldn't be like this, you should be able to buy with confidence knowing you won't be shipping it back to Nikon in a couple of months
I had the same mindset of wait and see, but after waiting so long for Nikon to replace the D300S I got the D500 as soon as I could. From all the previous problems I was confident Nikon would fix any design/QC problems. I'm very glad I did. Amazing camera. :D

Nikon are not the only manufacturers who have had problems, Canon have had problems, and Leica have released a new camera, and the optional viewfinder designed to work with it can potentially brick the camera! :eek: :LOL:

I'll concede that Nikon have had more than most though. :oops: :$ :rolleyes: :LOL:

Reactions: TG.
You need to wait more than 8 months, the D750 recalls include cameras built over 2 years after initial release I believe. It's pretty poor to say the least that they continued to make cameras with the same defect some time after they first knew about it. That being said, I've never seen this issue, nor the original flare issue.

As a D810 & landscape shooter - I find it impossible to believe the incremental upgrades will make this a worthy purchase.
Time will tell.......

You need to wait more than 8 months, the D750 recalls include cameras built over 2 years after initial release I believe. It's pretty poor to say the least that they continued to make cameras with the same defect some time after they first knew about it. That being said, I've never seen this issue, nor the original flare issue.

To be honest Nikon have been having issues for years.. D600 was a right farce.... replaced by the D610 which was really a fix for the D600 unofficially, if I had been a D600 owner at the time I would have been very angry!
Plenty of other recalls/issues have happened.... the third D750 recall is a slap in the face in terms of trust/confidence in the body imo, I personally wouldn't want a new or secondhand D750 if I was in the market, just doesn't give me confidence.... Yes Nikon may offer life-time warranty but what use is that if it fails during a shoot!! The D760 will fix the issue no doubt but perhaps create other issues.

As a D810 & landscape shooter - I find it impossible to believe the incremental upgrades will make this a worthy purchase.
Time will tell.......
I can't see it either tbh, the only advantage I can see for some landscapers is the flippy screen, but that's certainly not worth the upgrade.

I can't see it either tbh, the only advantage I can see for some landscapers is the flippy screen, but that's certainly not worth the upgrade.
What about the illuminated rear buttons! ;) :LOL:

Nikon Rumors are speculating on these specs

• 45-46MP sensor
  • Improved low and high ISO
  • New and improved version of SnapBridge
  • No built-in GPS
  • Tiltable LCD screen
  • Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
  • New: AF system from the D5

If they can raise the resolution, and increase the high ISO performance, and maybe increase the Dynamic Range, some will be very happy. :) More reduced resolution options would be good to give maximum flexibility.

SnapBridge, mmm, it would have to be improved a lot to be usable imho. They still have to get SnapBridge working reasonably well after more than a year. :rolleyes: From 45-46MP to transfer a 2Mb file. :thinking:

I use SnapBridge on my Tablet to transfer the GPS to the images, but it is a bit hit and miss, but better than nothing.

I've found the tilting LCD screen pretty useful on the D500, but I would have preferred a screen that pivots at the side like the D5600. That would possibly lose some buttons, but they could be incorporated into the edge of the LCD screen itself, or have better touch functionality on the screen.

Some will want CF, some will want XQD, some will want the two slots to be the same, you can't please everybody. Having the option to choose what slots, like the D5, but I doubt that would happen.

The AF from the D5/D500 is amazing, but it will probably still be centrally placed, as in all FF DSLRs. Very hard to spread the AF too wide just because of the way the AF is designed in DSLRs. Having the same AF in the D500 is great as it stretches across almost all of the frame, a benefit of the 'cropped' format. :)

Btw, the illuminated buttons are quite nice. :D

What about the illuminated rear buttons! ;) :LOL:

Nikon Rumors are speculating on these specs

• 45-46MP sensor
  • Improved low and high ISO
  • New and improved version of SnapBridge
  • No built-in GPS
  • Tiltable LCD screen
  • Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
  • New: AF system from the D5
If they can raise the resolution, and increase the high ISO performance, and maybe increase the Dynamic Range, some will be very happy. :) More reduced resolution options would be good to give maximum flexibility.

SnapBridge, mmm, it would have to be improved a lot to be usable imho. They still have to get SnapBridge working reasonably well after more than a year. :rolleyes: From 45-46MP to transfer a 2Mb file. :thinking:

I use SnapBridge on my Tablet to transfer the GPS to the images, but it is a bit hit and miss, but better than nothing.

I've found the tilting LCD screen pretty useful on the D500, but I would have preferred a screen that pivots at the side like the D5600. That would possibly lose some buttons, but they could be incorporated into the edge of the LCD screen itself, or have better touch functionality on the screen.

Some will want CF, some will want XQD, some will want the two slots to be the same, you can't please everybody. Having the option to choose what slots, like the D5, but I doubt that would happen.

The AF from the D5/D500 is amazing, but it will probably still be centrally placed, as in all FF DSLRs. Very hard to spread the AF too wide just because of the way the AF is designed in DSLRs. Having the same AF in the D500 is great as it stretches across almost all of the frame, a benefit of the 'cropped' format. :)

Btw, the illuminated buttons are quite nice. :D
TBH I think they have to hit those specs otherwise it will be deemed disappointing. I think they need to up frame rate to 6.5fps minimum too in FX imo. I've also said that it will be extremely useful to have a small RAW files size option like they do with the D810, but should be 14 bit (it's only 12 bit in the D810). I don't know how they reduce the file size though as they can't reduce the resolution of the sensor, and it's not through compression as the small file sizes are still lossless/uncompressed I believe. I wonder if they jsut take data from every other pixel?

Back