Nikon D850 L Bracket - Or lack of

I just bought the Sunwayfoto L bracket for mine, was happy with them on other caneras and this is fine as well. Kirk have one out and so does RRS i believe but both double the price of the Sunwayfoto one and for a basic piece of kit its just not worth it for any gain you might get. I have used Kirk in the past and they are good quality but no need on an L bracket.

Forgot that Markins do one for the D850 as well so a few options depending on your budget.

Last edited:
Yup there are plenty of L-Brackets available. I have a Kirk (which is expensive).. if I was to buy one of the cheaper ones that are available now I'd go with the Sunwayfoto as I've used them on other cameras and have been pretty happy with them.

I have a Kirk

Got that too!

I got that on my 2x gipped D810s and they
are perfectly fitting my gripped D850! :cool:

Sorry to bring this up again but I still haven’t picked as I can’t decide between 3

KIRK
Really Right Stuff
Sunway Photo

What’s the difference or benefits of getting one of the expensive ones over Sunway photo?

I’m a believer in you get what you pay for but.... this is just a small metal bracket

Sorry to bring this up again but I still haven’t picked as I can’t decide between 3

KIRK
Really Right Stuff
Sunway Photo

What’s the difference or benefits of getting one of the expensive ones over Sunway photo?

I’m a believer in you get what you pay for but.... this is just a small metal bracket

Thats the way i saw it when i got my D810 and bought a Sunwayfoto and bever noticed any difference in use. I had a Kirk and it felt a bit heavier but they both fit the head the same with no movement. Likely to be different grade metal but ask yourself if that will really make much difference to you as they are all aircraft aluminium. I use the Sunwayfoto on my D850.

Thats the way i saw it when i got my D810 and bought a Sunwayfoto and bever noticed any difference in use. I had a Kirk and it felt a bit heavier but they both fit the head the same with no movement. Likely to be different grade metal but ask yourself if that will really make much difference to you as they are all aircraft aluminium. I use the Sunwayfoto on my D850.

Thanks .... totally agree I think I want a list of reasons why I should pay a lot more I just can’t see it!

I used a Neewer one on my D750 and if they made one for the D850 I wouldn’t hesitate to order one but they don’t

Think ...... Sunway it is

I use the Kirk that was on my gripped D810… perfect fit!

If you're going to narrow it down, go between the Kirk and Sunway. I know someone who just got the RRS and got stung with customs etc and cost him over £200

Then think you can get almost 3 Sunways for the Price of the Kirk.

Only reason NOT to get the Sunway is if you would feel safer with your gear on a Kirk and don't mind paying the extra for the peace of mind.

I've got the Kirk as it was available sooner when I got my D850 last year.

Last edited:
I used to be religious about using only RRS or occasionally Kirk products. One time I needed a bracket quickly and so bought the iShoot one from a local supplier. I've never looked back since. Cost me £30 something instead of nearly £200 and frankly I can barely see a difference and it does the job just as the RRS and Kirks did. Try one of the Sunway or iShoots, you've little to lose and it'll probably save you hundreds in the long run.

frankly I can barely see a difference

Sure, if your purpose is only to mount it both vertically or
horizontally on the head.

Better Kirk or RRS will protect your camera if ever dropped,
as a student on mine made the experience. Materials being
the key feature here Duncan! :cool:

Sure, if your purpose is only to mount it both vertically or
horizontally on the head.

Better Kirk or RRS will protect your camera if ever dropped,
as a student on mine made the experience. Materials being
the key feature here Duncan! :cool:

I'm not sure there would realistically be any difference if dropped, K. An L bracket provides no impact protection and if the bracket breaks on impact I don't think the camera would suffer more or less because of that.

I use the Kirk that was on my gripped D810… perfect fit!

... as long as you don't need access to the earphone/microphone ports... which I don't, so yes I agree, I'm keeping the old gripped D810 L-plate too. :)

.. as long as you don't need access to the earphone/microphone ports... which I don't, so yes I agree

Cool improvements were coming with the D850.
Being a photographer, I have nothing from video
improvements or better access! :D:cool:

Back