Nikon D850, NOW is the right time…

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

Yes, NOW it's the right time for me as I got a communication,
yesterday, from Capture One Pro that v.10.2 supports the D850
and is available for download… which I did.

What do you think it will do for you that your D810 doesn't?

What do you think it will do for you that your D810 doesn't?

I have to admit that the D810 is a hell of a camera…
but more is more specially when amortization permits.

I don't care much for the new and fantastic video fea-
turns but if I stay with the photography features…
  • they kept the lower native ISO
  • though the files are larger in terms of MS and MB,
    it allows almost twice faster captures and writes
  • no more Mickey Mouse flash
  • the touch screen… wow!
  • the AF Fine tune is far easier
  • the AF is faster and with 90 cross type points of
    the 153 AF points
  • the square crop in VF
  • almost 25% more sencels
The list is too long but it really is an improvement as
the D810 was… technical developments that is!

Last edited:
Faster AF & buffer for sure but I'm yet to be convinced that it can significantly improve on the D810 IQ and cleanness.

Faster AF & buffer for sure but I'm yet to be convinced that it can significantly improve on the D810 IQ and cleanness.

They took care of that with the Back-Side Illuminated sensor

I haven't seen any images from 'genuine' users that convince me of that.

Of course not, as all the actual tests on the internet were
as no one before yesterday was supporting the RAW files
but now Capture One does.

jpg images with visible improvements are every where to
see and compare.

Of course not, as all the actual tests on the internet were
as no one before yesterday was supporting the RAW files
but now Capture One does.

jpg images with visible improvements are every where to
see and compare.

No, support for the RAW files has been available for days.

No, support for the RAW files has been available for days.

That was why I cancelled my first order of two.
Capture One does support the RAW files now. :)

I have to admit that the D810 is a hell of a camera…
but more is more specially when amortization permits.

I don't care much for the new and fantastic video fea-
turns but if I stay with the photography features…
  • they kept the lower native ISO
  • though the files are larger in terms of MS and MB,
    it allows almost twice faster captures and writes
  • no more Mickey Mouse flash
  • the touch screen… wow!
  • the AF Fine tune is far easier
  • the AF is faster and with 90 cross type points of
    the 153 AF points
  • the square crop in VF
  • almost 1/3 more sencels
The list is too long but it really is an improvement as
the D810 was… technical developments that is!

This I just don't understand.

I wish every camera I had had a built in flash and if it'd tilt doubly so. Maybe it's just me but I think that a pop up flash can be useful. What do you do if you need one and haven't got one? Reach for your phone? Not take the shot at all? Walk around with a big fat external flash mounted or in your pocket all the time?

A built in flash is often derided on forums like this but I do think they're useful, not necessarily for ultimate image quality because they wont do that but for photographs of "things" and a bit of social photography I'd much rather have one than applaud its absence.

what do you do if you need one and haven't got one?

In my trade, if you don't have a ready to use flash at all time,
you're just a sitting duck waiting to be shot!

The flash on my D810 has never seen daylight and it is a much
higher risk when used in wildlife for example.

For some, it may be of value but it is a nuisance for me.

I have 7 studio heads and 3 speedlights… I can do without it!

Last edited:
In my trade, if you don't have a ready to use flash at all time,
you're just a sitting duck waiting to be shot!

The flash on my D810 has never seen daylight and it is a much
higher risk when used in wildlife for example.

For some, it may be of value but it is a nuisance for me.

I have 7 studio heads and 3 speedlights… I can do without it!

There's the problem for you.

I'm in the unfortunate position that no one pays me to take photographs but the fortunate position that I don't need them to :D

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic and that needed an external flash. Subsequent compacts I had had a flash but more serious compacts and RF's didn't and it always seemed rather odd to me that my cheap camera had a feature that I needed and my expensive one didn't. Guess which camera sometimes got left at home because it didn't have something I thought I could use. Moving to SLR's and on to DSLR's every one I had had a built in flash until the 5D and I did miss it with that camera. These days the lack of a flash seems to be becoming rather too common and I now have two that don't have one. That's a shame IMO as there are occasions when I'd want one and it does occasionally annoy me that my expensive camera loses out to the cheapest camera I have and even to my phone in that respect.

Nuisance? For me things that I don't use are an irrelevance. I just don't use them. I accept that others might though. Things like the video button.

This I just don't understand.

I wish every camera I had had a built in flash and if it'd tilt doubly so. Maybe it's just me but I think that a pop up flash can be useful. What do you do if you need one and haven't got one? Reach for your phone? Not take the shot at all? Walk around with a big fat external flash mounted or in your pocket all the time?

A built in flash is often derided on forums like this but I do think they're useful, not necessarily for ultimate image quality because they wont do that but for photographs of "things" and a bit of social photography I'd much rather have one than applaud its absence.
I don't understand it either, the built in flash is a great way for us hobbyists to use Nikon's wonderful off camera CLS system. I find it very handy on my D750, saved me having to buy separate triggers.

If you don't use it then don't! Does it matter if it's there or not?

I've never used mine..... just don't press the flash button or have it on Auto....

I like the idea of the split screen... so you can check the foreground and the distance for sharpness ....

I don't understand it either, the built in flash is a great way for us hobbyists to use Nikon's wonderful off camera CLS system. I find it very handy on my D750, saved me having to buy separate triggers.

This is where, I believe, Nikon made a big mistake
and gave a chance to emerging technologies: radio
remotes. In every point far superior to light triggers
in terms of usability and communication.

Which is OK for professional users, but there will be a number of enthusiasts that buy this camera and like to use the occasional off camera flash but do not want the added expense of radio triggers, or having to carry another separate piece of equipment.

Do you mean you think radio remotes are not good?

Which is OK for professional users, but there will be a number of enthusiasts that buy this camera and like to use the occasional off camera flash but do not want the added expense of radio triggers, or having to carry another separate piece of equipment.

As you say: a number of enthusiasts, and I can see
the positive applications of this feature but not in my
operation.

These radio triggers give me a much longer reach, in
ANY light situation and save me a lot of moving around
and worries.

Do you mean you think radio remotes are not good?

Sorry if I was not clear to you but exactly the opposite.

Nikon went the optical way and, in everyday work, the
radio remotes have proven to be the far better tool.

But if you look at the cost of the triggers and flash units from the likes of Godox, then it's not exactly a large expense, particularly if the alternative is having to buy flashguns from your chosen camera brand!

10 Years ago, when I was first wanting to try off-camera flash, the limited range of alternatives with Sony compatibility, and high cost of radio triggers, meant that using Sony flashguns and the built in optical trigger via the pop up flash was a cheaper route - now there are a decent range of options, and a 3rd party flash & radio trigger will be (significantly) cheaper than an own brand flash.

What a load of nonsense If an "enthusiast" has the cash to buy a D850 the very small cost of a trigger if they didn't already have one wouldn't be too much of a worry. Lacking the awful built in flash is very much an improvement over previous models.

What a load of nonsense If an "enthusiast" has the cash to buy a D850 the very small cost of a trigger if they didn't already have one wouldn't be too much of a worry. Lacking the awful built in flash is very much an improvement over previous models.
Might be rubbish to you, but I use my onboard flash on my D750 for this very thing. Just because you don't see a need for it it doesn't mean others don't. Ok, so it's not a major deal and certainly not a deal breaker but I don't see a major advantage for not having it. I've personally not seen a single report of a D750 or D810 having issues due to the onboard flash. I'm not saying there hasn't been, but it must be a very small number.

I don't see a major advantage for not having it. I've personally not seen a single report of a D750 or D810 having issues due to the onboard flash. I'm not saying there hasn't been, but it must be a very small number

I know the benefits and understand why would one miss it.
It is just that I have to pay for something I don't use — the
same goes for all the video gizmo stuff I never use, btw.

The two reasons I'm really happy about the loss are
  1. one less fragile thing on my camera
  2. which gives me the new VF… cool!

The new best thing since sliced bread is now so much better than the last new best thing since sliced bread ;)

Only jealous though, wish I could afford one but having just dropped 4 grand on 4 new Olympus pro lenses I don't think SWMBO would be too impressed if I did. :cool:.

I have owned loads of Nikon Film cameras but never a Nikon Digital ?

There was someone trying to sell one on a local Irish trade site for €4000 :D ... it's been removed though. They had pics of the box and contents, bit dodgy, as it's not officially released here yet.

Might be rubbish to you, but I use my onboard flash on my D750 for this very thing. Just because you don't see a need for it it doesn't mean others don't. Ok, so it's not a major deal and certainly not a deal breaker but I don't see a major advantage for not having it. I've personally not seen a single report of a D750 or D810 having issues due to the onboard flash. I'm not saying there hasn't been, but it must be a very small number.

They are a pain easy to open by mistake etc. Pretty much useless compared to other options that are available. I tape all my down on the cameras that have them. Absolute curse of a thing.

Yes, NOW it's the right time for me as I got a communication,
yesterday, from Capture One Pro that v.10.2 supports the D850
and is available for download… which I did.

Excellent choice you will not be disappointed.

I haven't seen any images from 'genuine' users that convince me of that.

It depends on what you call a significant improvement as the D810 was already a really good camera when it came to DR etc. In fact most people expected the DR to be not as good on the D850 due to the increase in MP.

I own both the D810 and D850 and I can say without hesitation that the D850 is a big improvement over the D810, that was clear the first time I used it. Couple the IQ with the amazing AF, speed, usability and of corse the extra MP's and it's a no brainer upgrade if you can afford it, in fact I'm going to sell my D810 and buy another D850 as I think it will be hard using that after using the D850.

I'd much prefer a camera without silly pop up flash and without video function!

Problem with this type of discussion is that someone else may equally love those features and that's ok too!

:agree:
Problem with this type of discussion is that someone else may equally love those features and that's ok too!
So it is not really a problem, is it? :cool:

There's the problem for you.

I'm in the unfortunate position that no one pays me to take photographs but the fortunate position that I don't need them to :D

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic and that needed an external flash. Subsequent compacts I had had a flash but more serious compacts and RF's didn't and it always seemed rather odd to me that my cheap camera had a feature that I needed and my expensive one didn't. Guess which camera sometimes got left at home because it didn't have something I thought I could use. Moving to SLR's and on to DSLR's every one I had had a built in flash until the 5D and I did miss it with that camera. These days the lack of a flash seems to be becoming rather too common and I now have two that don't have one. That's a shame IMO as there are occasions when I'd want one and it does occasionally annoy me that my expensive camera loses out to the cheapest camera I have and even to my phone in that respect.

Nuisance? For me things that I don't use are an irrelevance. I just don't use them. I accept that others might though. Things like the video button.

it means they can put in that glorious, giant viewfinder.

I agree, I'd rather have no video function and lower the cost, but I guess they have to cater for everyone.

I agree, I'd rather have no video function and lower the cost, but I guess they have to cater for everyone.
I very much doubt that leaving video off would lower the cost in any way. Doing something different to all the other camera designs in a manufacturers range could be more expensive if it is a totally taking away video, rather that just not giving options in the menu, but the tech is still in there.

The sensors have evolved the way they have in some ways because video has pushed the technology, and it is only there as an option. No one has to use it. ;) My DSLR has 4k video, but I haven't used any video in over a year of ownership. It has very little interest to me. Having video pushes more sales than not having it I would guess.

As with Flash, I hardly used it in any of my DSLR's, and so my new camera not having a pop up flash was not a problem. It meant that the viewfinder could be slightly larger and brighter compared to the previous camera. Weather sealing is neither here nor there imho, with or without a flash even in the entry cameras, never mind the top of the range cameras. If flash is important, buy an external flash. :rolleyes: The days of the internal flash controlling external flashes with the Nikon Creative Lighting System, radio tech has overtaken that imho. When I have played with the camera controlling a SB800 I understood the power of it, but also recognised the limitations. Having to be in line of sight from camera to flash, not be too far away and not be in bright light, using Radio triggers does away with those problems. Depends on how important flash is in ones Photography. :thinking:

Nikon obviously think the money they save by not having the flash technology and the viewfinder improvements they could make, offset the number of sales they may lose from those who definitely need an internal flash.

[QUOTE="snerkler, post: 7947548, member: 66993" I've personally not seen a single report of a D750 or D810 having issues due to the onboard flash. I'm not saying there hasn't been, but it must be a very small number.[/QUOTE]

Try using the pop up flash with a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 at the upper end, you'll get a massive lens shape shadow that will ruin the shot every time.

Pop up flashes are ok for 'happy snaps' with small focal length lens 35, 50mm, anything much longer it's lose situation. OK as flash commander but other than that a decent flash gun with a bounce head and preferably off camera is the way forward.

Other negatives, they are not very robust and can aid water ingress as the are not particularly well sealed. Limited Guide Factor and range is another big issue.

Last edited:
The pop up flash is pretty useful for one thing. Spotting the have a go pros;)

You know the ones with a D810 and 70-200 shooting architecture outside some tourist location and the little pop up flash appears as they press the shutter button to illuminate the sagrada familia!

The pop up flash is pretty useful for one thing. Spotting the have a go pros;)

You know the ones with a D810 and 70-200 shooting architecture outside some tourist location and the little pop up flash appears as they press the shutter button to illuminate the sagrada familia!

Should be using a 12mm so you can get much closer to use the pop up.

Just moved from my D800 to the D850, picked it up a couple of days ago so haven't had chance to get out and about with it yet but have spent some time doing a few varied shots.

Having missed out the D810 I can't compare to this but I'd say for anyone with a D800 it's a significant upgrade....highlights for me are..

Touch screen - improved functionality for menu use and reviewing images...probably won't use if for focusing.

Live view - the LCD is much clearer which makes a big difference when manual focusing in live view mode.

Articulating screen... great for tripod use, less laying on the floor from now on!

Focusing - big upgrade, low light focusing is much better than D800

resolution - nothing technical but images look sharper to me than D800, obviously the D800 had an AA filter which the D810 didn't so this no doubt explains this to a degree.

Iso... D800 didn't have ISO 64 so base iso looks cleaner, handy in bright light too. High iso looks very clean at 3200 and very usable at 6400, my initial impression is that it's better than the D800 here too but I'll need to try this out more to be sure

A couple of other observations.... viewfinder is bright but I don't see it as a massive difference to the D800. Backlit buttons are handy for astro etc but it's only the left hand set, would have been even more useful if all the rear buttons were lit although some on the right side do fall naturally to hand.

Not got around to using many of the other features yet but already impressed

Simon

Last edited:
Back