Nikon D90 plus hands-on preview (Nikon D90 discussion thread)

Shame the AF doesnt work in D-mode.

I was thinking that too but then I realised how close the mic is to the AF motor and the whirring would probably be quite annoying. I guess that its limitation is the same as it is with live view (which most people don't bother with either it seems)... I really hope the D300 can somehow be updated as it looks like a lot of fun.

I was thinking that too but then I realised how close the mic is to the AF motor and the whirring would probably be quite annoying. I guess that its limitation is the same as it is with live view (which most people don't bother with either it seems)... I really hope the D300 can somehow be updated as it looks like a lot of fun.

firmware possibly yes, but there is no mic on the D300, so they would have to market an external one

yeah, aint got my head round that yet, if there no AF how do you control the DOF

Manual focus. I'd expect the aperture is something that can't be changed on the fly either.

Not bothered about the mic really (would be nice) but the feature itself would be great :)

i give up:bonk:

the video on the website is viewing at about 4" x 3", how can anyone tell from that??????

you are viewing it at 0.12 megapixel resolution.

And the D90 shoots at 720p. So it can only look better than it already is. ;)

yeah, aint got my head round that yet, if there no AF how do you control the DOF

By using the focus wheel? By using a smaller aperture? By using a wide-angle lens? :p

If it were such a brilliant feature, it would be on the prosumer bodys, but it isnt, its a gimmick for the consumer bodies to sell more of them. Cant knock em for trying, but i still think its pointless.....

What a ridiculous comment, it's like live view once it wasn't posible now it is and in the same way as live view will be a feature of every future DSLR I'm sure it won't be long before video mode is a feature too.

It's a real shame that this thread has decended into a petty video feature argument, it's just one tiny feature on what looks to be an etremely good camera spec. We are finally getting some real competition back bettween canon and Nikon right across the range (Once Nikon give in and put a focus motor in the entry level camera!) focus on the incredible ISO performance that nikon seem to be bringing to the party not some tick box shelf edge feature.

And the D90 shoots at 720p. So it can only look better than it already is. ;)

are you thinking before you type or just reading the figures and falling for the marketing plan.

720p is just a figure....

You can have 720 lines which are rendered good, and 720 lines that are rendered bad.

My point was if you shrink something down to 0.12mp as opposed to the 0.921 megapixels its actually recording at then you will loose all the noise and make it look crisper.

Right, lets get this thread back on track, because aside from the gimmicky video feature, its an excellent replacement for the D80, unless you need some of the extra D300 functions then for £699 its a bloody bargain....... so lets leave the video bit alone till someone can shoot one, encode to MPEG 2, burn it to DVD, play it on TV and then see if it really stacks up.

I like it and as has already been said some great spec for the price, it would make a damn good back up to the D700, or is that just damn greedy :D

Right, lets get this thread back on track, because aside from the gimmicky video feature, its an excellent replacement for the D80, unless you need some of the extra D300 functions then for £699 its a bloody bargain....... so lets leave the video bit alone till someone can shoot one, encode to MPEG 2, burn it to DVD, play it on TV and then see if it really stacks up.

Couldnt agree more.

Is it definitely the D300's sensor though? I read some website that said the dimensions were slightly different...

Look forward to seeing the iso performance on this compared to the D80.

tel48 - yes thats greedy, but who cares eh, lol

cyprio - the dimensions should be identical, cant be 100% if the sensor is identical because the d80 and d200 sensor used to differ

Video doesn't interest me at all - looks a fairly decent camera... but seems pricey compared to the D80?

the rrp is £699, not sure what the D80 RRP is but its around for £450 body only..

I would imagine the D90 will be available for £599 within a short space of time, which is where the D80 was back at release time.

i think its stupid personally, thats what a camcorder is for.

Same as i never take a still shot with my camcorder.

But you don't have a HD capable, interchangable lens camcorder do you?* The D90 will basicly own a normal camcorder all over the shop.

*If you do, it sure as damn ain't a consumer one.

But you don't have a HD capable, interchangable lens camcorder do you?* The D90 will basicly own a normal camcorder all over the shop.

*If you do, it sure as damn ain't a consumer one.

Wasn't gonna get drawn into the camcorder comment...lol But, IMHO I shoot a hell of a lot of video in both SD and HD, and I believe the D90 will rock on the video image quality front. The purity of the glass will produce some great results I'm sure. Nikon aren't gonna render at 720p with a advanced CMOS chip and make the IQ bad. Where the D90 will lack severly (and why you wouldn't replace a camcorder with it) is on the functionality/feature front.

Unless you are going to get loads of compatible video hotshoe accessories (lights, mics etc) and full AF support then it probably won't replace proper HD video kit.

JM2c ;)

well I have been thinking about upgrading my d70 to a d80, I think waiting a couple of months and going for a d90 instead may be the new plan. Or perhaps seeing what happens to the d80 price lol

too many decision, why cant they just stop improving these cameras so we can all be happy with what we have :)

For those suggesting it won't compete with a camcorder...no it won't...in some ways it will be way way better than any consumer level camcorder. I believe I'm right in thinking it will handle any lens (pretty much) and the videos posted so far show that depth of field is equal to that of a still photo from the same lens. Bolt a fast lens on it and the quality and depth of field should be exceptional, I've not seen a bog-standard camcorder in Argos that will throw backgrounds out of focus like you would expect to see in the movies.

Sure, it will have far less features than a camcorder, but for short high quality clips it looks unbeatable, and obviously this is only effort #1, if it improves at the rate live view has it could be a superb feature to have on hand. The lack of AF isn't an immediate concern, if I'm shooting with a 50mm 1.8 I would probably want full control anyway.

At the end of the day, they don't appear to have made shortcuts on the camera to add this movie feature, it still has the stunning 3" LCD, sounds like it has class leading high ISO performance etc etc. As a D50 user trying to save for a D300, the D90 is a very tempting alternative as I would have plenty left over for a nice macro lens or something.

I've placed an order for a D300 last week but just saw this thread and I must admit its very tempting indeed. I have a few days to cancel the order so I'm wondering if people can advice on the pros and cons of the D90 vs D300.

Yeah I know its too early to say as no one actually has one to test but bearing in mind that I probably won't be buying another body for some time and that I am getting the D300 for about £815 delivered would you stick with the D300 or wait for the D90?

The D90 seems to have most of the features I am looking for in the D300 bar the 51 focus points, high shutter speeds, ergonomics, HDMI output and all the switches, buttons for quick change of settings. I'm not that bothered about the movie feature really. I can see it being handy on holiday but not that fussed about it.

Any advice/opinions? :shrug:

I've placed an order for a D300 last week but just saw this thread and I must admit its very tempting indeed. I have a few days to cancel the order so I'm wondering if people can advice on the pros and cons of the D90 vs D300.

Well, read the specs side by side here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ebyside&cameras=nikon_d90,nikon_d300&show=all

Yeah I know its too early to say as no one actually has one to test but bearing in mind that I probably won't be buying another body for some time and that I am getting the D300 for about £815 delivered would you stick with the D300 or wait for the D90?

Well, both are current, one is consumer and the other is prosumer. The more expensive one has more high speed low drag features. If you don't understand what the extra bits can do, you probably don't need them!

From what I've heard the image quality from the D90 is slightly better than the D300 (which I would expect, similar MP count, same sensor size, newer sensor.)

The D300 still wins on ergonomics and build quality, and I'd buy another D300 today, since I've got used to how it handles and love how rock solid it feels.

Looks like now is the time to sell my D50! This is probably what I've been waiting for.

*crying with happiness*

does any body know the actual release date?

and how long does it normaly take for the first price drop (I am thinking this will be a godo xmas present to ---me :eek:) )

It should be be released by the end of September, most of the prices I've seen are £849 so give it a couple of months to see the price start dropping.

Although I have seen it here for £749, I've not heard of this company so cannot endorse them. At first I thought it was grey import but it looks like a UK model with 2 year warranty:

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/nikon_d90_18_105mm_lens.htm

I'm just wondering if the people trashing the D90's movie mode in this thread are actually planning on buying a D90? It seems the next logical step for Nikon, they attracted a new consumer base with the D40/60, so another feature like recording video, especially at 720p can only mean more people will be attracted to the idea of buying a Nikon SLR. Good business sense if you ask me. They will still do cameras for the "Bah Humbug" brigade, I'm sure ;)

OO ma gawd, it seems the D90 is really mixing things up, upsetting a lot of forums I've been reading.
All the talk is D90, even in 50D threads, stolen thunder, peeps are getting really stupid about it all.
So what are the implications for the D90 and the 50D ?
There's a lot of talk about the pro-esque nature of the D50 V the comparative likely sales of the D90 with its "advanced feature set".
Where, what, how and why are these two going to compete, because they are going to compete at one level or another, whether it fits with peeps idea of where each cameras sits on the ladder, or not.
Bearing in mind we just have a few high iso shots and a spec sheets for both body's to comment on.

there not really competing models though.

The new D90 Competed with the 450D

The D300 is the 50D's competition

there not really competing models though.

The new D90 Competed with the 450D

The D300 is the 50D's competition

That's what they say in the 50D threads....but they would wouldn't they.

I'm certain there is a demographic looking slightly higher up the scale from 450's and D60's, and for the money on new tech it'll be the 50D & D90.
Doesn't matter what you or I think, or how thick the blindfold is, its about selling cameras.

That's what they say in the 50D threads....but they would wouldn't they.

I'm certain there is a demographic looking slightly higher up the scale from 450's and D60's, and for the money on new tech it'll be the 50D & D90.
Doesn't matter what you or I think, or how thick the blindfold is, its about selling cameras.

I dont think people looking at 50D level semi pro weathersealed alloy body are going to be tempted to buy a D90 £400 cheaper.....

Same as the 450D doesnt steal sales from Nikons D300, but the 50D will.

They are on a different level

I don't really get what all the fuss is about with the video mode :shrug:, surely this can't be a bad thing it can only make a good camera better, the way i see it this is just the shape of things to come so we best get used to it, as for who will buy the D90 I'm thinking the kind of person who wants a DSLR but not just an entry level one ie, D40X, D60, or 400D, someone who thinks they may upgrade within 6 months of buying, if that's the case this is the ideal option for that person, they can gain a lot of experience with a great camera and not worry about upgrading for a year or more, i reckon it's a win win situation.

I dont think people looking at 50D level semi pro weathersealed alloy body are going to be tempted to buy a D90 £400 cheaper.....

Same as the 450D doesnt steal sales from Nikons D300, but the 50D will.

They are on a different level

I didn't realise they were so far apart :bonk:.....scratch that, I didn't realise the 50D was so expensive.
Its still 2-300 quid more expensive than the D300.., thats gotta come down to under a grand I would have thought.
You're right, they are too far apart for anyone tossing a coin in the shop.
:shrug:I wondered what all the fuss was about, why the D90 is making so much noise in 50D threads, I thought they must be closer, monetarily.
I think its just stealing the limelight :thinking: I gotta stop reading these forums, peeps are just mental.

lol

the D300 was £1199 at release, i paid £979 for mine a couple of months back, so yes it will drop to under a grand.

the D90 RRP is £699, we can expect to see that at £599 within 2-3 months

So there will still be a £350 difference between it and the D300 / 50D.

The reason its probably been mentioned is it has all the High iso features of the D300, and the D300 is ahead of the 40D, the 50D should redress the balance, the point about the D90 is, as far as noise levels go, there will be a nikon that can acheive a similar level of IQ for £400 less than the Canon.

This is all until of course the 450D MK2 / 500D is released with 15mp and dicks all over the nikon.

Well, its all about now, and as far as I can tell, with the limited high iso shots available and no in depth pixel peeping, the D90 looks smoother at 6400.

I'm still waiting for the "dicks all over Nikon" bit for the last lot of Nikon releases.
Its a safe bet the 50D isn't going to dick all over the D300 either looking at early samples.

anyway....:cautious:......D90 + video = stroke of genius

Do I know you Monkey ? what production do you manage

Back