Nikon Df....First images

Possibly just as well, since with the large (46.5mm) register distance of F mount, adapting lenses from just about any other 35mm system is impossible (without an optical element in the adapter at least). The A7's E mount is completely the opposite - at 18mm there isn't anything you cant use with it.

.. ...

I think I'm heading in the direction of the A7.

I thought I was heading towards an A7 next year, but tbh the cost of changing system with the high price of the Zeiss AF FE lenses is making that less likely. I can't get by with just my legacy MF glass alone. And switching to this Nikon would rule out that legacy glass altogether. Looks like it's the 6D for me.

I don't get what people are moaning about?

- The Lightest FX DSLR available and something which is much smaller than people seem to realise
- Ability to use all Nikon lenses ever made
- Retro design, with manual controls but without loosing all the digital bits we have come to love (speedlight compatability, bracketing etc)
- A mixture of D4/D610 insides with a price between the two (what else did you expect with a D4 sensor?)
- Okay so it doesn't have 1/4000s shutter (who actually has a need for 1/8000?)
- No D4 AF (It's not a D4 guys or it would be even more expensive) and instead D610 AF, which is better than the D7000 and I have used mine in pretty much every conceivable situation without fail.
- Single card slot is also no huge biggie (D700 has only 1 and that hasn't stopped everyone hailing it as some messianic device)

There seems to be a lot of people on the web who have overlooked the fact that this isn't a replacement for any of the existing range. It's clearly not meant to be a technological step forward, it's a niche product that isn't designed to meet the needs of any one particular segment, rather it is there as something a bit different, something you may (or may not) want rather than need.

There seems to be a lot of people on the web who have overlooked the fact that this isn't a replacement for any of the existing range. It's clearly not meant to be a technological step forward, it's a niche product that isn't designed to meet the needs of any one particular segment, rather it is there as something a bit different, something you may (or may not) want rather than need.

Exactly (y)

I've put my money where my mouth is and have ordered one. If it's as I hope there'll be a second shortly afterwards.

I'm extremely interested to read user reviews coming out now - things like the VF being staggeringly good with 100% coverage viewable even when wearing glasses (which I do) and the ISO and EV dials making absolute sense when you use them (my main two things I change during a wedding). The comment one user made was 'the specs don't tell the story'.

I've put my money where my mouth is and have ordered one. If it's as I hope there'll be a second shortly afterwards.

I'm extremely interested to read user reviews coming out now - things like the VF being staggeringly good with 100% coverage viewable even when wearing glasses (which I do) and the ISO and EV dials making absolute sense when you use them (my main two things I change during a wedding). The comment one user made was 'the specs don't tell the story'.

I'd be very interested to see what you think once you have it Guy, apart from the minor niggle of a single card slot, everything else is what I would want, so looking forward to some real time use and reviews.

I don't mirror anyway so that's not a huge loss (and wasn't an issue when I shot 5D Mk1 and D700). The main concern is the spread of the AF sensors.

Nice one, let us know what you think when you get it :)

Grays have said shipping starts 28th Nov so it's around a month away I'd say. Timing wise it's good as my season ends 14th December and then I'm clear until mid-March. So I'll know if it's a goer by the time I start 2014 weddings. I may even use it at the last of the year as a trial alongside what I have.

Yv - the spread is what concerns me (matron)

Grays have said shipping starts 28th Nov so it's around a month away I'd say. Timing wise it's good as my season ends 14th December and then I'm clear until mid-March. So I'll know if it's a goer by the time I start 2014 weddings. I may even use it at the last of the year as a trial alongside what I have.

Yv - the spread is what concerns me (matron)

I've very tempted too, the specs aren't very clear about the memory cards, is it one or two SD's? I'd be nervous going back to one card, after having had card issues earlier this year.

EDIT - just seen Yv's earlier comment, one card it is. Not sure if that's enough to put me off, would make a great camera for personal stuff and as a spare. The spread of the 39 points isn't too bad, still would love to know why all the cross type af points are in a column in the middle of the frame and not spread out a little.

Last edited:
Serious question and aplogies if this has already been answered - currently you can pre-order at £2750 from WEX [for example] with a 50mm lens. is anywhere taking pre-orders on body only, in fact have Nikon said they will sell body only, and if so, UK price?

No - so far no body only in the UK. But then as a 50/1.8 is cheap anyway it's not a huge saving. I'd probably hang on to them for value if selling down the line...

True - I guess a brand new unused 50mm as part of package on resale will not reduce the price. Was just curious really that they are selling it with a lens that I imagine 'most' people thinking of buying would already have [or something similar and if they haven't, chances are they don't want one or they'd already have one] and that they haven't gone down the full on retro route with, so to my eye looks a little odd anyway without an aperture ring...just thinking out loud really ;-)

as already said the top of the camera is way too busy
The old Canon A1 top plate was spot on simple and easy to use if they brought that out with digital innards that would be perfect
havent read the whole thread but what really spoils this new Nikon is the focusing screen, its not interchangeable
for a camera thats retro and meant to be used with manual focus lenses thats a handicap
My Canon A1 focusing screen has a split circle thing thats so easy to use :)

Last edited:
The lens is apparently a special edition. I don't know what the special bit is...

I absolutely get the point of the camera. I use Canon DSLR's but still have a number of F/FE type bodies and AIS lenses so the initial hoo-ha got my interest.

Like others here though I get the impression it was someone's bright idea that got hijacked along the way by various committees. I suspect 'serious' shooters will stick to D4/800 and this will be a nice to have extra. Others may be swung by it's 'old skool' appeal.

Maybe there will be a lite version, with some smart MF facility a la Fuji or split prism later, which doesn't need the very expensive sensor and will be pitched at a new lower price, once the RRP of the Df has dropped. I suspect not though!

Well I'm getting it with a view to using 2 as my only camera Jamie. 40 weddings a year - does that class me as a serious shooter?

Well I'm getting it with a view to using 2 as my only camera Jamie. 40 weddings a year - does that class me as a serious shooter?
It depends; how often do you smile whilst shooting weddings Guy?

Surely a serious shooter would only use a serious expression (presumably only shoots landscapes and still life - how could portraits be considered serious).

It depends; how often do you smile whilst shooting weddings Guy?

Surely a serious shooter would only use a serious expression (presumably only shoots landscapes and still life - how could portraits be considered serious).

3 times a year. I cap my smiles.

I was also hoping for a smaller mirrorless version of an FM2 or whatever, bit disappointed by the size and price - it does look super sexy though 0 D4 sensor :-o
drool

Clearly not. You're far too lax in your efforts. Get out more. I suggest some gritty, urban stuff. You know, dog fights, gypsies, shoeless kids. That sort of thing. If you must stick to weddings then I suggest Prison 'weddings', where a wide aperture is an advantage apparently.

A hands-on:

Personally the aesthetics are a bit too chunky for my liking but I welcome any change from the normal drab DSLRs.

Great sensor crippled by a poor autofocus system. The sensor shines at low light work, we're the autofocus is useless on a d600/610...

Great sensor crippled by a poor autofocus system. The sensor shines at low light work, we're the autofocus is useless on a d600/610...

Just been reading/watching the hands-on review, as a personal/landscape/weekend and even studio camera this looks awesome. Be interesting to see how this performs in difficult low light situations, if it is a D600 with different controls and a D4 sensor as some of the reviews are implying. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a D600, but it would need to be on a par to tempt me away from a D3s/D800.

Last edited:
No video, only one SD slot, less-than-desireable AF, larger-than-an-FM2 design... there are probably a lot of faults in terms of on-paper spec and probably, when you compare it to something dead cheap like a D3200, it isn't actually that astounding... but it aimed at a group of people who take photos but want to get back to something close to what they remember from film days, something more 'analogue' and more about pressing that button once like they possibly did (or think they did) when they shot on 35mm.

Just been reading/watching the hands-on review, as a personal/landscape/weekend and even studio camera this looks awesome. Be interesting to see how this performs in difficult low light situations, if it is a D600 with different controls and a D4 sensor as some of the reviews are implying. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a D600, but it would need to be on a par to tempt me away from a D3s/D800.

I owned a D600 and the only fault the camera had in my honest opinion was the autofocus system. If it had the 51 point one, which has a far better spread and is more accurate in low light, I'd have enjoyed the camera far more. The camera will be great for most occasions, but I really wouldn't put too much faith into the autofocus system as it really let me down whilst I was on holiday in Bulgaria in august this year on the D600.

nikon-df_4.jpg

This is sooooo wrong I have loads of these carp release cables over the years. They have springs in 'em fer Pete's sake. I don't want to go back to using springs. I like my MC-12B. I will buy one when they put the blinkin' 10 pin socket on..

I look at Fuji x series camera's and look at this monster, the more I look at the Nikon Df the more features I dislike and the more I like the Fuji x's look and features for retro design and function, I mean, no aperture ring and no manual focusing screen is a major fail, at least fuji give focus peaking and a split screen and a host of other useful stuff, Nikon needs to play catch up.

I look at Fuji x series camera's and look at this monster, the more I look at the Nikon Df the more features I dislike and the more I like the Fuji x's look and features for retro design and function, I mean, no aperture ring and no manual focusing screen is a major fail, at least fuji give focus peaking and a split screen and a host of other useful stuff, Nikon needs to play catch up.

Love the look of Fuji's, will give an xpro1 a try at some point

Last edited:
Back