Nikon Df....First images

And here's where looking at the spec sheet doesn't tell the full story.

I spoke to a Norwegian friend yesterday who's used the Df extensively and helped test it. The VF is light years ahead of anything on the D3/800/4. It has the same screen yes, but it has an entirely different prism and mirror box. For the first time with any DSLR he's been able to accurately focus using a Noct.

His comment (and he's not employed by Nikon) 'do not write this camera off based on specs. They tell you little about how it is in actual use'.

sorry if you don't mind me asking what is "focus using Noct"??

You mean the pentaprism? Unavoidable if you want a big, bright 100% view optical viewfinder on full frame.

Im sure, it looks ugly and out of proportion though which is strange on a camera which is based pretty much solely on its looks.

sorry if you don't mind me asking what is "focus using Noct"??

The Noct-Nikkor was a 58mm f1.2 lens introduced in the late 70s, for night photograhy, and discontinued now. The reference probably means that if the new Df can focus manually with an f1.2 at full aperture, it should MF with just about anything!

Finally we have a decent price at Panamoz ...£1755 via paypal or £1667 via Bt with two year UK warranty.....
anybody got experience with Panamoz , are they trust worthy?
Its looking good:):)

any review of the df yet from anyone on here?

Been watching this for a bit casually. I think I'll stick to my D800 ... I think it's a bit gimmicky tbh. Just my opinion.

It seems to handle noise, VERY well.

'the question that presents itself is: 'is this a half-price D4 or a D610 with a 50% markup?'

Interesting question!

The 'obsession' in my case is simply that I don't like to risk a card failing on me. If I can mitigate the risk by buying a camera that holds two cards then for me that's the best option.

And for what it's worth I think the Df looks like a great camera and I can see myself getting one at some point in future. But I see myself using it more for pleasure than for paid work.

Did you not return the d600 ryan ? Was that due to the AF.? Thats the thing putting me off it has the best low light sensor but af that cant match it by all accounts..its the stickibg point in every review ive read.

I sold the d600, not for the AF but I wasn't impressed with the spread of the focus points. I felt they were far too clustered in the middle, which meant I couldn't always get the composition I wanted without using the focus & recompose technique (which I hate).

I wasn't aware that the Df has been getting flak for poor AF. However, in the main I don't need great AF (not like a sports photographer would for example) as most of my 'targets' are stationary. What I do want is a good spread of focus points which I'm hoping the Df has.

It has the d600 AF . So clumped in the middle and abit hit and miss in lowlight supposedly.

Ive been wanting to get one but thats whats holding me back. I want it for shooting in low light. My d800 can handle everything else. Might wait dor the v2 or try for a d3s

I need to see and hold one of these in the flesh. I wasn't sure what to make of the dpreview. It looks very clunky from the pictures I must admit. For how much it is, I think I will stick to Fuji for now (may change my mind when I see and use one)

It has the d600 AF . So clumped in the middle and abit hit and miss in lowlight supposedly.

Ive been wanting to get one but thats whats holding me back. I want it for shooting in low light. My d800 can handle everything else. Might wait dor the v2 or try for a d3s

You're doing a good job of putting me off :D

I need to see and hold one of these in the flesh. I wasn't sure what to make of the dpreview. It looks very clunky from the pictures I must admit. For how much it is, I think I will stick to Fuji for now (may change my mind when I see and use one)

This is one camera you have to see and hold before buying. It's the way it handles that is the whole point IMHO. And one that DPReview rather skipped over before dismissing the Df on a largely subjective basis.

It is not a camera to easily adjust at your eye, but that's not what I want or the way I prefer to work. Call me old school, but when the camera is to my eye I'm taking pictures, not fiddling with controls - just waiting for the moment, checking focus and composition. All the other controls are set, and I like to do that by looking at analogue dials with direct access.

That's maybe not everyone's way of working, but if Canon made a camera like the Df, it would be high on my list.

D600 autofocus, while not as good as the D800 is fine and does a good job. Ive not had any trouble even at the darkest weddings. Unless you are shooting sport in the dark I cant see the autofocus be a problem. Also, I suspect from a few reviews I have seen that it is in fact improved slightly over the d600 anyway as is the sensor over the D4 sensor. It may feel still like a slight step down from the D800 in autofocus but ive never missed any shots with my d600.

I suspect Radiohead is so blown away by the DF he cant stop shooting it and hasnt been online yet.

... Call me old school, but when the camera is to my eye I'm taking pictures, not fiddling with controls - just waiting for the moment, checking focus and composition. All the other controls are set, and I like to do that by looking at analogue dials with direct access.

That's maybe not everyone's way of working, but if Canon made a camera like the Df, it would be high on my list.

All of this. Come on Canon - show us what you can do:)

All of this. Come on Canon - show us what you can do:)

:)

If the Df sells well (and according to Thom Hogan, who is usually quite a good barometer, it is) then surely Canon would jump on any badwagon that is selling relatively modest spec cameras at premium prices? Though I guess all those knobs and dials are not as cheap to produce as multi-function buttons, Fuji certainly started something with the X100.

Can we have an aperture ring around the lens mount please? Sweet (y)

:)

If the Df sells well (and according to Thom Hogan, who is usually quite a good barometer, it is) then surely Canon would jump on any badwagon that is selling relatively modest spec cameras at premium prices? Though I guess all those knobs and dials are not as cheap to produce as multi-function buttons, Fuji certainly started something with the X100.

Can we have an aperture ring around the lens mount please? Sweet (y)
There's an idea.

Little update here.

Wedding season started yesterday and I used the Df for pretty much the entire day. Everything from prep, to ceremony, right through to a dark first dance.

I absolutely LOVE this camera. My D3s's are faster in outright performance as you'd expect, but the significant weight saving using the Df is welcome. AF is perfectly fine now I've worked out how it performs. The handling is great for me and the dials are really lovely to use. But that sensor is the main draw. We know now that it's the same sensor as in the D4s and the colour fidelity at 3200 and above compared to the D3s is very impressive. The files are just gorgeous and there's a rich tonality that the D3s can't match (that's 4 years tech I guess).

I'm a prime shooter which suits the Df. I wouldn't use the f2.8 zooms on it as it would be very unbalanced IMO.

I'll be adding a second one next week and a wedding kit of 2 Df's, 24/35/50/85 f1.4's will save me around 5lbs compared to my kit last season.

Overall, a lot of rubbish has been written about the Df, mostly by people who haven't used one, and much of the criticisms aimed at it magically vanished when people talk about those same things on the Fuji X-T1 (another excellent camera). It's not for everyone I'm sure (the dials will be a dealbreaker for some), but it's a superb camera for discreet documentary work and pretty much the best low-light performance available anywhere.

Reactions: ST4
Little update here.

Wedding season started yesterday and I used the Df for pretty much the entire day. Everything from prep, to ceremony, right through to a dark first dance.

I absolutely LOVE this camera. My D3s's are faster in outright performance as you'd expect, but the significant weight saving using the Df is welcome. AF is perfectly fine now I've worked out how it performs. The handling is great for me and the dials are really lovely to use. But that sensor is the main draw. We know now that it's the same sensor as in the D4s and the colour fidelity at 3200 and above compared to the D3s is very impressive. The files are just gorgeous and there's a rich tonality that the D3s can't match (that's 4 years tech I guess).

I'm a prime shooter which suits the Df. I wouldn't use the f2.8 zooms on it as it would be very unbalanced IMO.

I'll be adding a second one next week and a wedding kit of 2 Df's, 24/35/50/85 f1.4's will save me around 5lbs compared to my kit last season.

Overall, a lot of rubbish has been written about the Df, mostly by people who haven't used one, and much of the criticisms aimed at it magically vanished when people talk about those same things on the Fuji X-T1 (another excellent camera). It's not for everyone I'm sure (the dials will be a dealbreaker for some), but it's a superb camera for discreet documentary work and pretty much the best low-light performance available anywhere.

Just browsed your website Guy and it's amazing. I really love your wedding stuff. Look forward to seeing the one primarily shot with the Df.

I'm glad people who have them are enjoying them.

I'm not a fan of the styling, cameras were flat slabby things in the 80's because manufacturing capabilities meant they were thus. More sophisticated tech gives us cameras with nice big grips for the Right hand. I tried an old film flat sided thing, the newer stuff is so much easier to hold.

A D800 was cheaper and I am happy with my choice along with my D610 for travel.

I was playing about with the Df in Jessops, it was quite small in the hand and could do with a grip, but what struck me was it felt so cheaply made and finished. I found the buttons and dials pretty uncomfortable to use. Couldn't believe they were asking £2700 for it and the 50G. Half that should have been more like it.

Back