Nikon Df... Huge Price Reduction

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
As you're probably all aware, Nikon have knocked a massive amount off the Df - it's now available from Nikon for the more reasonable sum of £1,599. I'm more than a little interested - I think it'd make an ideal complement for my D810. But I'm a bit of a dinosaur who hasn't yet jumped onto the full-frame mirrorless (it's time to upgrade all your lenses because the new ones are way better) bandwagon.

Are full-frame DSLRs dead? Should I be looking at spending £150 more and getting a Z6 instead given that I'll be primarily using it with a couple of Voigtälnder manual focus lenses (40mm & 58mm).

Your views would be appreciated.

I was expecting it to be like £300 or something...For £1600.....errrrrrr, you can get 2 x used D750 which surely is better value than this.

The DF is just a massive nostalgic brick.

Yet smaller and lighter than OP's D810

As you're probably all aware, Nikon have knocked a massive amount off the Df - it's now available from Nikon for the more reasonable sum of £1,599. I'm more than a little interested - I think it'd make an ideal complement for my D810. But I'm a bit of a dinosaur who hasn't yet jumped onto the full-frame mirrorless (it's time to upgrade all your lenses because the new ones are way better) bandwagon.

Are full-frame DSLRs dead? Should I be looking at spending £150 more and getting a Z6 instead given that I'll be primarily using it with a couple of Voigtälnder manual focus lenses (40mm & 58mm).

Your views would be appreciated.

Are you completely against the idea of mirrorless? What is it that attracts you to the DF? I'm sure you've looked at other options. Best to be specific or you'll just get loads of full frame mirrorless suggestions

I have a Df alongside the 850, 800e and the 800.

Last one I'd sell? The Df.

I have about 20 primes - my favourites being the 28 2.8Ais, 50 1.2Ais and the 105 2.5Ais and the Voigtlandr 40mm f2 (always on lens) - if you're using it with these sorts of lens its bloody superb. Low light abilities are fantastic, its quite light, very easy to set up and use and its a very tactile camera. I've found the image quality to have an indefinable something which is hard to explain. Yes its only 16mp but I have a print from it at 30"x20' that is a firm favourite.

ps - I also have the Voigtlander 58mm

There is a fairly low use D4S in the classifieds for 1500.

I would take that over either if I had that much for a Nikon body

Personally I'd only pick up a DF if it were closer to sub £1.1k new or around £750 used. Doesn't make sense for manual focus primes now since a Z6/Z7 will be much easier to focus those lenses on (peaking, accurate preview of DOF, IBIS giving you a stabilised image to focus with) and if I wanted an FM3a like experience I'd just shoot my FM3a. Plus I can adapt my M-mount lenses on it too.

It’s been said. There’s just something special about the Df sensor.
I’ve got Z6 which I’m happy with, but I’ve been very close to adding a Df. Not done it because I love the mirrorless system.
Sadly. When it comes to buying new, and this is my personal opinion. New tech every time.

Which is exactly why I wrote an article for Outdoor Photography a while back along the lines of 'just because its old doesn't mean its obsolete..":)

Although I have thought about adding the Z6 - if only to be in position for the chunk of f0.95 lens coming out....

Yes but , Black or Silver or Black or :runaway:,,,,,,,,,,,:nikon:

Have to say, I was excited then, expecting a price a lot lower! Stunning looking camera though, but it would have to be around the cost of an EOS RP (gray market one!) to tempt me; Then it would go like a dream on my 1980s Nikkor 600mm AIS....

Are you completely against the idea of mirrorless? What is it that attracts you to the DF? I'm sure you've looked at other options. Best to be specific or you'll just get loads of full frame mirrorless suggestions

As you pointed out, it's lighter than the D810. And I don't really see myself using it with anything other than MF lenses with centre AF point in combination with the electronic rangefinder prior to recomposing. SIlent shutters, eye-AF, full-screen focus points and a host of other 'modern' features don't hold any (current) appeal.

Personally I'd only pick up a DF if it were closer to sub £1.1k new or around £750 used. Doesn't make sense for manual focus primes now since a Z6/Z7 will be much easier to focus those lenses on (peaking, accurate preview of DOF, IBIS giving you a stabilised image to focus with) and if I wanted an FM3a like experience I'd just shoot my FM3a. Plus I can adapt my M-mount lenses on it too.
I have a m4/3 Olympus (EP5?) with focus peaking - I find the feature quite distracting when focusing manually so seldom use it with MF. IBIS is nice but I've managed for years without it (I find the lack of it makes you concentrate a little harder). Perhaps I'm stuck in the past.

Silver one at Aperture with 36k for £850....

I know its not the point but I have a Gariz black leather half case on mine and it does look quite nice...especially with the Voigtlander 40mm on it.

Although I have thought about adding the Z6 - if only to be in position for the chunk of f0.95 lens coming out....
Wait until Nikon start releasing their f/1.2 - f/1.4 primes for the Z series. The prices will be just as ridiculous given the current pricing of the f/1.8 lenses.

I have a m4/3 Olympus (EP5?) with focus peaking - I find the feature quite distracting when focusing manually so seldom use it with MF. IBIS is nice but I've managed for years without it (I find the lack of it makes you concentrate a little harder). Perhaps I'm stuck in the past.

I have found peaking with manual lenses to be really hit and miss on both M43 and Fuji APSC cameras. It's just not 100% reliable, especially if it very intricate subjects at wider apertures. I much prefer to zoom focus and trust my eye

The EVF on the Z6/Z7 is on a different level to those though, you could probably get by without the peaking anyway. IBIS is always helpful too, I remember first using a stabilised lens (a Canon 100-400L II) and the stable image in the viewfinder helped immensely with tracking. I don't really need it for shorter focal lengths but if it's an option I'll take it.

I have the 40mm Voigtlander too, lovely lens that takes the lion's share of photos when I'm using my film Nikons. I also have their 20mm, so I think adding the 58mm would be great to round out the set at some point!

I have the 40mm Voigtlander too, lovely lens that takes the lion's share of photos when I'm using my film Nikons. I also have their 20mm, so I think adding the 58mm would be great to round out the set at some point!
The 58mm Voightländer is something special. Couldn’t justify the price of the Nikkor. Very happy with the affordable alternative.

Back