Nikon DSLR to Mirrorless, which one???

Tamar Photography

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, Ive been shooting Nikon DSLR for years, I have been diagnosed with a back problem and I admit carrying around a D800 and lenses etc, takes it out of me, Im looking to go down to something along the compact line and with the ability to change lenses, all I shoot now is the odd event and landscape so I will likely go for a Fuji X or Olympus setup, I've looked at the Sony offerings and also Panasonic, problem is I cant decided what to do and what to go for, they either seem expensive bodies and cheap lenses or visa-versa, I have advertised the items here on the forums classifieds, but now im thinking, if they sell what will I get instead ?

Ideas welcome peepe..

Fuji system, Ive had Olympus in the past and loved them but now on Fuji which I personally find easier to use and prefer the results.

I'm not Olympus bashing just find the images from the Fuji just a tad sharper and better colour rendition.

At the moment I'm letting all my Canon gear go purely because I have knackered shoulder and carrying the big stuff is no longer an option.

I went from Nikon FF (D700, D610) to Olympus and have never looked back but would highly suggest going to a shop and handling the cameras, I used to get massive GAS for Fuji kit and it was easily cured by picking one up (XT1), instant dislike.

I bought an EM10 as a travel camera and then found that in order to tell the difference (in my shooting) I needed to look at 100% and actually look for differences to find them, at which oint I sold my D610 which had sat there doing nothing for a year.

Fuji system, Ive had Olympus in the past and loved them but now on Fuji which I personally find easier to use and prefer the results.

I'm not Olympus bashing just find the images from the Fuji just a tad sharper and better colour rendition.

At the moment I'm letting all my Canon gear go purely because I have knackered shoulder and carrying the big stuff is no longer an option.

Im sorry to hear that, and literally I feel your pain, OK looks like the Fuji series are in favour, - would you mind telling me what your Fuji line up is ?

I went from Nikon FF (D700, D610) to Olympus and have never looked back but would highly suggest going to a shop and handling the cameras, I used to get massive GAS for Fuji kit and it was easily cured by picking one up (XT1), instant dislike.

I bought an EM10 as a travel camera and then found that in order to tell the difference (in my shooting) I needed to look at 100% and actually look for differences to find them, at which oint I sold my D610 which had sat there doing nothing for a year.

Yes I have seen your stuff on Flickr, one word 'impressive' what lenses have you got ?

If you are saving on weight due to your back then don't get a Sony. You might save 500g on the body but everything else is DSLR size.

Get a Fuji system, great glass, small size.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a mirrorless system - whichever you choose - is a smaller, lighter, cheaper DSLR.
Yes it is smaller, lighter and cheaper but it is not a direct substitution for a DSLR. Many have swapped on that basis and regretted it.
Mirrorless is a very good system but it is a system that you need to get used to. It is good, sometimes very good indeed but it is different.

Although I'm not in quite the same situation as you (I am a Canon user and wanted a 2nd lighter set up), I've recently opted for a Panasonic G80. Whether or not this will ever replace my Canon kit remains to be seen.
I deliberated for quite some time and it was not until visiting a camera show earlier this week that I finally made my choice. The reasons? Principally comfort in the hand and very good video quality to support the stills. I considered the competition but in the end, the Panny just seemd to be the best compromise.
I' m starting out with a 25mm prime (not the kit zoom) and will decide what to add later. I am also keen to bolt on some old manual lenses. I did look at the GH5 and nice as that was, I realised that it would neccessitate the immediate sale of my Canon kit which I am not yet ready to do.

Yes I have seen your stuff on Flickr, one word 'impressive' what lenses have you got ?

I pretty much have, or have had, most of them except the 300mm, 12-100 and 7-14 Pro lenses.

The 12-40 pro covers pretty much most things and is a fantastic lens and I LOVE the 40-150 pro as I tend to see in telephoto so if I could have only one lens it would be that. Otherwise I have a bag full of lovely primes that I hardly ever use.

The one thing about Oly is that the lenses are smaller than the comparative Fuji/Nikon/Whatever lenses, I also find Fuji cameras to be un-necessarily big and a bit toy like but that might just be me. Like I said, go to a shop and handle them to see which you prefer.

I have a full Canon set up and a pretty good Fuji set up.

To me they are apples and oranges, the Fuji doesn't come close to my Canon gear, I find it acceptable but doesn't blow me away. The Fuji glass are good but my 35L is better, my 85L is magical. That last 10% or 5% is just slightly out of reach from the Fuji. I don't expect the Fuji to match the canon.

Weight wise the Fuji wins hands down, it's not even funny, the WR lenses are so small I can have a body and 2 more lenses in the palm of my hand.

Last edited:
Don't make the mistake of thinking that a mirrorless system - whichever you choose - is a smaller, lighter, cheaper DSLR.
Yes it is smaller, lighter and cheaper but it is not a direct substitution for a DSLR. Many have swapped on that basis and regretted it.
Mirrorless is a very good system but it is a system that you need to get used to. It is good, sometimes very good indeed but it is different.

For me its the weight of the kit, Id be much more happier carrying around something much lighter and be pain free.

if you want the lowest weight then micro four thirds set up wins a small oly/panny body and 5 or 6 primes will easily fit in your pockets, the pro glass is bigger and heavier but still small and light compared to a dslr!

Totally agree with Nawty theres nothing like getting the real thing in your hands. You can always try Jessops and then go elsewhere to buy.

I bought all my Fuji kit off them recently and to be fair their service was fantastic.

For me its the weight of the kit, Id be much more happier carrying around something much lighter and be pain free.
I bought a Fuji for days out with SWMBO and holidays. I found that the X-T1 quickly became my go to camera because I too have a bad back. I've no pretensions to be a pro and the fooj will easily print at A3 so I decided to do away with backache. Never once regretted it.

OK Im sold on the Fuji, assuming my kit sells soon. Im down Brixham on Monday and am wondering if Mifsuds would be open.

One complaint I've heard about Fuji is the top dials. Some don't like that but I, and many others, like the almost retro feel. If you come from the old film days it's just like going back in time!

But handle them first. You'll be blown away by the EVF.

I had the E-M10 MK2 but didnt like the sticky dials on the top, I also had the Fuji X100 and loved it apart from the fixed lens.

One complaint I've heard about Fuji is the top dials. Some don't like that but I, and many others, like the almost retro feel. If you come from the old film days it's just like going back in time!

But handle them first. You'll be blown away by the EVF.

Praying the kit sells soon lol. I could be out and about now instead here unable to lift the D800 without mega pain.

I had the E-M10 MK2 but didnt like the sticky dials on the top, I also had the Fuji X100 and loved it apart from the fixed lens.

If you like that then get the X-Pro2, same thing but you can pick any lens.

TBH the XT2 is probably the more capable camera of the 2 and cheaper as well.

If you like that then get the X-Pro2, same thing but you can pick any lens.

TBH the XT2 is probably the more capable camera of the 2 and cheaper as well.

If Mifsuds is Open Monday and seeing im down there for the afternoon I might just do that, or their is LCE Here but I might get too tempted.

Although I'm not in quite the same situation as you (I am a Canon user and wanted a 2nd lighter set up), I've recently opted for a Panasonic G80. Whether or not this will ever replace my Canon kit remains to be seen.
I deliberated for quite some time and it was not until visiting a camera show earlier this week that I finally made my choice. The reasons? Principally comfort in the hand and very good video quality to support the stills. I considered the competition but in the end, the Panny just seemd to be the best compromise.
I' m starting out with a 25mm prime (not the kit zoom) and will decide what to add later. I am also keen to bolt on some old manual lenses. I did look at the GH5 and nice as that was, I realised that it would neccessitate the immediate sale of my Canon kit which I am not yet ready to do.

Interesting, will take a look..

I love my D800, it's just the weight and the lens..

Have you tried any of the Nikon1 series? Brilliant, underrated cameras. We have V1 and V2.... can't get Mrs.Chuckles back into a dSLR. All the Nikon glass fits and works well with an FT1 adapter.

Try this thread (a bit old and some of the links are 'dead').... Nikon1 - show us your shots!

Have you tried any of the Nikon1 series? Brilliant, underrated cameras. We have V1 and V2.... can't get Mrs.Chuckles back into a dSLR. All the Nikon glass fits and works well with an FT1 adapter.

Try this thread (a bit old and some of the links are 'dead').... Nikon1 - show us your shots!

I did consider it and will have another look, thank-you

EDIT, the lack of a Viewfinder would drive me insane.

The day my V1 packed up was a sad day, it had its foibles but a fantastic 1" sensor and fantastic jpg engine meant it just made lovely photos with no fuss.

Couldn't use one as a main system for a few reasons but yes, lovely cameras which presumably can be had for buttons nowadays.

I had an X-Pro1 for a while, then moved to an X-T10. They are great cameras and the primes I found to be fantastic; especially the 56mm 1.2.

If you are using the bigger zooms then I'd say the X-T10 felt a touch front heavy whereas the X-T1 seemed more balanced IMO.

I switched to FF DSLR as I found with some scenarios, the DSLR just felt 'better'. I guess I just felt more confident with it ergonomically and so on.

It's a great system choice though IMO. That, or Sony, however I do consider the latter a tad pricey and the Fuji has more of a lens map from what I remember. Try a couple if you can and see what you find most comfortable :)

You will definitely appreciate the difference in weight. Travelling with an X-T10 and a couple of lenses felt a breeze.

I had an X-Pro1 for a while, then moved to an X-T10. They are great cameras and the primes I found to be fantastic; especially the 56mm 1.2.

If you are using the bigger zooms then I'd say the X-T10 felt a touch front heavy whereas the X-T1 seemed more balanced IMO.

I switched to FF DSLR as I found with some scenarios, the DSLR just felt 'better'. I guess I just felt more confident with it ergonomically and so on.

It's a great system choice though IMO. That, or Sony, however I do consider the latter a tad pricey and the Fuji has more of a lens map from what I remember. Try a couple if you can and see what you find most comfortable :)

You will definitely appreciate the difference in weight. Travelling with an X-T10 and a couple of lenses felt a breeze.

Getting tough now, Fuji or Oly, tho Panny looks good...

The OM-D EM-10 mk2 gets some pretty good press as do the Panasonic M43 systems. I've never had much of a play with them. Do recall picking up an Oly in Wex and finding the AF really responsive. I'd say more so than the Fuji at the time.

OK good, thanks.

Pricey on the glass tho.. then I suppose they all are going to be ?

Lots of options available, including an F-T1 adaptor so you can use your current F mount AF lenses on the 1 series bodies, although that still leaves you with big lenses. I keep an 18-200 on my V1 as a permanent fixture as a snapshot setup. I also have a Fuji system - 3 bodies with zooms to take me all the way from 10mm up to 800 (when I use the 2x teleconverter) which all fit in a fairly small backpack (LowePro MiniTrekker.) Rarely use the Nikon FF system, although there are some things it's better at than the Fujis. I actually swapped a D800 body for the start of the Fuji kit - an X-Pro1 with an 18mm and a 60mm as well as the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. I did pay some extra but can't remember how much! In a month, I had used the X-Pro1 far more than I'd used the D800 in a year of ownership.

Back