Nikon DSLR to Mirrorless, which one???

Lots of options available, including an F-T1 adaptor so you can use your current F mount AF lenses on the 1 series bodies, although that still leaves you with big lenses. I keep an 18-200 on my V1 as a permanent fixture as a snapshot setup. I also have a Fuji system - 3 bodies with zooms to take me all the way from 10mm up to 800 (when I use the 2x teleconverter) which all fit in a fairly small backpack (LowePro MiniTrekker.) Rarely use the Nikon FF system, although there are some things it's better at than the Fujis. I actually swapped a D800 body for the start of the Fuji kit - an X-Pro1 with an 18mm and a 60mm as well as the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. I did pay some extra but can't remember how much! In a month, I had used the X-Pro1 far more than I'd used the D800 in a year of ownership.

Thank-you, that's me sold then. :) as in Micro Four Thirds / Mirrorless, which ever the difference is ?

Last edited:
I should probably add that the D800 had fewer than 1,000 shots taken on it - can't remember exactly how many but it was around 750 IIRC. Absolutely mint, boxed with all accessories and paperwork. Most of the leads, strap etc. were still sealed in their polythene bags!

I used to be able to (and still can) pocket a A7+FE35/2.8. The second gen versions are not actually that much bigger they are just very dense (and noticeably heavier).

Why not a Sony a7 with the 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8. Very compact and still full frame.

If going down the single focal length lens route how about a D750, with 28/1.8, 50/1.8 and 35/1.8 (or 35/2 for even less weight)? There's also the 24-85 and 18-35 for lightweight but surprisingly good zoom options. There's more than one way to lose weight than endure using a mirrorless battery eater. :D

If going down the single focal length lens route how about a D750, with 28/1.8, 50/1.8 and 35/1.8 (or 35/2 for even less weight)? There's also the 24-85 and 18-35 for lightweight but surprisingly good zoom options. There's more than one way to lose weight than endure using a mirrorless battery eater. :D

But think of all the time saved not MA-ing DSLR lenses, not chimping and reshooting and not having all the other hassles that go with those soon to be museum pieces. It wont be long until kids look at DSLR's and ask "What is that granddad?" :D

I'm sold really, been getting so many comments by using my iPhone lol loads more than my D800 setup

But think of all the time saved not MA-ing DSLR lenses, not chimping and reshooting and not having all the other hassles that goe with those soon to be museum pieces. It wont be long until kids look at DSLR's and ask "What is that granddad?" :D

Yea lol! :)

But think of all the time saved not MA-ing DSLR lenses, not chimping and reshooting and not having all the other hassles that go with those soon to be museum pieces. It wont be long until kids look at DSLR's and ask "What is that granddad?" :D
I've never 'MA'd' a lens yet, rarely ever chimp (I still think I'm using film - remember that?) and there are no other hassles like tiny TV screens instead of real viewfinders. :p.

Last edited:
For light weigh it will be hard to beat something with a smaller sensor - M4/3, Nikon 1 series etc - simply because the lenses will always be smaller and lighter for the equivalent focal length & aperture in either APS-C or FF.

As for OVF vs EVF, both have their strengths & weaknesses, but EVF will take a lot of the guesswork out of exposure and makes working in lower light levels much easier, and my Sony EVF camera will go typically 1100 shots on a freshly charged battery.

Last edited:
I think M43 would serve you better being a lot smaller. Fuji still has some big chunky glass. M43 is far to small for my liking, I was shocked when I actually held an Oly omd-em5, but it may be the solution to your pain!?

Thanks all great comments, I really cannot decide what to do, I don't think I can raise the funds to do anything yet anyway, I mean all the primes are very expensive, I really dont know what to do.!

Are you sure you will have a chronic problem with your back, meaning, it is not something that may go away after a while?

Are you sure you will have a chronic problem with your back, meaning, it is not something that may go away after a while?

I'm certain tonight I twisted it too, plus I've a high chance of getting Osteoporosis :( I'm only 32!.

Currently you can get an Olympus kit on loan for a short period to try it out. I know Clifton in Dursley do it and the LCE branches. Might be worth it... Was very impressed with the feel of it and think I am going to do that. I also have a bad shoulder but am hoping it will recover some time.

:( I noticed your age hence my comment. From my female friends and relatives all I know about osteoporosis is that you should remain as active as possible for as long as possible. I am not a doctor so I am not going to waffle about issues, you know from your doctor if your back is going to be a permanent problem but you should give yourself some time.

Perhaps get the basic idea of what camera(s) could fit the bill and then try to see them and physically touch them. Spend some of the budget on fuel ... window shopping (or equivalent) can be therapeutic.

It'd be great if all the weight saved in lenses wasn't taken up with all the bloody batteries needed for a days shooting ;)

If you are still not 100 percent on mirrorless, why don't you buy a second hand Nikon 1 just to try mirror less, you would not lose a fortune re selling the Nikon 1 and could use you existing Nikon lens with an adapter. If you still really want to go mirrorless after a month or so trialling you could sell your Nikon gear in less of a rush and get a better return.

From my own personal experience I believe there is still a way to go between FX and crop CSC's.

Maybe it's my inability to process the Fuji RAWs, all I know is I have gone from Nikon D750 to Fuji X-T2 and now I'm back using FX but with Canon gear and I'm far happier and producing much better images as a result.

I'd try before you buy and try all sorts of shots too to avoid you losing money and tearing your hair out.

Just my twopenny worth.

Terry.

I too had problems with my back at 32. Also told I would get arthritis.
Mine got better, but it took 2 years and an epidural jab. 32 years later I am now interested in lighter weight equipment.
I have lots of Nikon but recently bought Fuji X-T20, plus small primes.
Their "plastic" zooms are light and the images are good.
Overall a small and lightweight kit producing good quality images.

Just to add my experiences to the thread - I went from full frame Canon to M4/3rds (olympus omd em1 plus the pro lenses) then back to full frame with a Nikon D750.
I loved everything about the Olympus but it just couldn't do fast focus and low light, and the smaller sensor is a big factor too...

So, be careful before you buy and make sure that the compromises are not too big...

Edit - I've just read a review of the EM1 ii and it sounds like the issues I had have been pretty well sorted, so maybe that renders most of what I've written obsolete...

Last edited:
Just to add my experiences to the thread - I went from full frame Canon to M4/3rds (olympus omd em1 plus the pro lenses) then back to full frame with a Nikon D750.
I loved everything about the Olympus but it just couldn't do fast focus and low light, and the smaller sensor is a big factor too...

So, be careful before you buy and make sure that the compromises are not too big...

haha, that was my route - 5D3 (too big - left at home) > OM1 (DoF not shallow enough) > D750 (still a bit big but better than Canon) > XT-20 (so far just right) - missed a few bodies but that was the general progression - reminds me of Goldilocks and the three bears ;)

@Tamar Photography If weight reduction is your main concern then there are a couple of ways to deal with this:

1) Mirrorless - by that I mean M43 or Fuji, I don't see much weight gain in full frame mirrorless as the body may be lighter but the lenses generally aren't.
2) Go prime and carry less - primes generally are lighter and wider, which depending on what you and how you shoot could be a boon - the only problem is a lack of flexibility and don;t get conned by the zoom with your feet lobby - compression comes into effect and the image does change.
3) Buy a good shoulder strap - personally for the heavier stuff (and until very recently the lighter too) I used a Black Rapid Sport - that took the weight off my neck or wrist and distributed the weight
4) Get a Sherpa ;)

Number three is the cheapest and probably a great place to start as thers so little outlay - I used to use the D750 + Tamron 150-600 handheld and when not in actual use it was much more manageable.

On mirrorless Fuji was my choice in the end - part of it is image quality, but another is the fun of having the dials and (SO aside as I've the XT-20, not the XT-2 anymore) you can just look at it and know what you're shooting at even if its off.

On the battery front - yes they do eat batteries, this can be reduced considerably - personally I set the to EVF + Eye - that setting means that it just uses the EVF and only turns it on when I put it to my eye, so generally get a day to a day and a half out of the battery, but they're not expensive - look to the ExPro ones - but the key here is to always carry three. Sure the D750 would last me a week, but there has to be some drawback :D

Last edited:
Don't make the mistake of thinking that a mirrorless system - whichever you choose - is a smaller, lighter, cheaper DSLR.
Yes it is smaller, lighter and cheaper but it is not a direct substitution for a DSLR. Many have swapped on that basis and regretted it.
Mirrorless is a very good system but it is a system that you need to get used to. It is good, sometimes very good indeed but it is different.

Different is Good. It is why people change.
One can not expect to change cameras let alone entire system types without something of a learning curve.
Even muscle memory takes time to kick in.
But just as it took time to gain the experience of using a DSLR, it takes time to switch to mirrorless.
It is somewhat invidious to continue to compare every detail. It is better to accept where you are, and continue the process of change.
Mirrorless cameras have benefits that are not available to DSLR's
If these things are important to you, you can only experience them by changing.
Changing just on a whim, or because of GAS, is counter productive, But keeps the dealers in business.

Lets lob this in for a little fun (link) - I just picked up the heaviest lens if the Fuji range so was wondering what my lineup was like weight wise (I don't have the 23mm yet, just threw it in because I was curious) compared to my D750 + Tammy combo...

I've pretty much gone through the lot. Main reason now is something I can just pick up and go easily without the weight and bulk.

Gone from Sony A580, A77, Sony A6000 (twice), Oly OMD EM10, Fuji X10, Fuji X-T1, Sony RX100, Oly OMD E-M10 Mk II

Enjoyed them all particularly the A77 be it all a DSLR, A6000, Fuji X-T1.

But I have gone back to the Oly OMD E 10 with a mark II mainly because of the lenses. The Fuji was superb and I nearly went for a X-T20 which is smaller than an X-T1. But the Oly wins because of size and weight and range of lenses with Panasonic as well and with a 17mm (35mm) prime on its essentially a point and shoot if I want. With either a kit lens or a zoom like the Oly 14-150 its still light and easy to use. menu's are a mess IMO but there is a simple way to display the key elements without worrying about that.

It'd be great if all the weight saved in lenses wasn't taken up with all the bloody batteries needed for a days shooting ;)

That will probably improve with future bodies and batteries as we're seeing with early reports on the A9. For now I normally carry a spare but rarely use it and when I have I've never come close to running out of charge. Machine gunners mileage may vary.

Depend what kind of stuff you shoot, I moved from Nikon FF to full on Fuji at the moment. I stopped doing sports or fast action sports so I'm ok with Fuji system. I'm not saying Fuji can't do sports (maybe the XT2 is ok for that), but the stuff I shoot I can do it with XT1. I use to own D3 and D700 plus, 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 85, 1.4, but now I'm shooting with Fui 18mm f2, 35mm f2, 56 f1.2 and 55-200. The body is light and small so I'm planning to add a XE2 to my setup so I don't even need to change lens. Just take 2 camera with lens attached :)

See the link below for my Fuji shots.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskWaACzy

Last edited:
Back