Nikon F-75

Edit My Images
Yes
I’m thinking of picking up a Nikon F-75 body as it is small and light. I intend to use as a snapper on the go (family, street etc). My question is about a prime lens. I will go 50 prime and my understanding is that the Nikkor AF-S is compatible. Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the f1.4 vs 1.8?

I’m thinking of picking up a Nikon F-75 body as it is small and light. I intend to use as a snapper on the go (family, street etc). My question is about a prime lens. I will go 50 prime and my understanding is that the Nikkor AF-S is compatible. Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the f1.4 vs 1.8?

Well I don't know much about AF lenses but have quite few nifty fifty f1.4 manual lenses but the reasons for F1.4 are similar in that using film it was more useful in low light and if you wanted to keep the subject in focus but background more out of focus it was useful also. Some say f1.4 lenses was made to higher optical standards but whether you can see the difference in a shot compared to the f1.8 is debatable. So if you don't mind the extra cost for F1.4.......................

I have F1.4 on my old vintage F2 and its bonkers in low light but its not sharp wide open.

I've had both 50's. The 1.8 is a good lens imo.
the 1.4 is no sharper but if you need 1.4 then it has it.
For general use 1.8 is fine.
I've moved over the Z so the Z50 had replaced these.

Look at

Enjoy your new camera with whichever you choose.

The older AF and AF-D lenses would also work and are cheaper and smaller. You could probably pick up the old 1.4 for about the price of the new 1.8. They've made some optical improvements in the AF-S versions, though all these lenses are very good. Oddly, the 50 1.4 AF-D focuses a bit faster than the AF-S version.

I'd consider the F80 over the F75 if you have the option. The F80 has a sub-command dial (so it's easier to shoot in manual) and a wider range of shutter speeds, etc. Look out for sticky rubber and damaged film door catches in all Nikon SLRs of this vintage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The Af-D looks interesting. My main reason for the F75 over 80 is weight. I regularly shoot a Leica R6 so am looking for something fully auto for easy lightweight snapping here

Last year I researched the 50mm Nikon lineup, I.e. 1.4d 1.8d 1.4g and 1.8g. My conclusion was that the 1.4 lenses weren’t much better than the 1.8 lenses but were more expensive and the difference in aperture was minimal. The 1.8g really is a great lens, really sharp. I use it on my F80 (also a super analogue body). It’s fully compatible with the F80 so should be with the F75 but worth double checking.

Some interesting comparisons here:

https://photopixreview.com/50mm-1-8d-vs-1-8g-vs-1-4d-vs-1-4g/

If weight is critical, the difference between the 1.4G and the old 1.8D (the lightest of all) is about the same as the difference between the F80 and F75. The 1.8G is only 30g heavier than the 1.8D, but significantly larger.

The G lenses have nicely curved aperture blades and render out of focus highlights smoothly. With the D lenses, unless you use them wide open, you see distinctive heptagonal highlights from the straight aperture blades, which are either cool or distracting depending on your point of view.

f/1.8 vs f/1.4 = 2/3 of a stop, which might be the difference between (e.g.) a shutter speed of 1/40 s and 1/60 s when light is limiting and you are using them wide open. And of course even shallower depth of field with the faster lens (though f/1.8 is already very shallow). The downside is a heavier and more expensive lens.

If you ever use Nikon digital, the current lower tier dSLRs (and Z series mirrorless with the adapter) only autofocus with the G lenses, since they are AF-S. However, if you ever use a classic manual focus Nikon or pre-F5 SLR, the D lenses are a better bet, as you'll need the aperture ring the G lenses lack.

Again, thanks all. I think I will look for the 1.8G taking all info into account and looking at links

Back