Nikon F100 Front Dial Issue?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
Recently got a used Nikon F100 off eBay - was working perfectly for the first roll and a half I put through it.

Today I've picked it up and turned it on and found that the dial on the front of the camera, to change aperture etc, doesn't seem to work at all? After working perfectly only a few days ago, I kinda refuse to believe it's suddenly broken for no reason.

Whether I'm in manual mode or aperture priority, the front dial just doesn't do anything at all. My 50mm f/1.8G AF-S is just stuck at f/1.8. However, if I go into shutter priority, the camera is capable of automatically changing the aperture. I've tried with another G series lens and it's the same problem.

Also, when I'm trying to change enable/disable custom functions, I'm pretty sure I should also be using the front dial for that, but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Can't turn them on or off.

Anyone got any ideas or heard of anything similar? I've had a google and all I could find was 'turn custom function 22 off' but it already is off. Please help!

I guess it's not CF 12 either - i.e., the back dial isn't changing aperture? What happens if you do set this, if you can?

Maybe worth trying the 2-button reset (p76)?

It seems I'm actually unable to enable/disable custom features as you need the front dial to toggle between the settings...

Don't know if it's worth taking the batteries out for a while...

Is the aperture ring on the lens locked at f/1.8 (with the little switch)? If not, try doing that.
None of my lenses have aperture rings. But they are having their apertures locked wide open via the mechanical lever when you twist them onto the body.

In the manual, custom setting 22 might cover it too.
As said a couple of times, custom function 22 is already set off - also I am unable to change any custom functions due to the dial being needed.

I’ve just had a look at mine and there doesn’t seem to be a reason why this wouldn’t work. Sounds like it needs a repair.

Apart from taking the batteries out for a period to (maybe) reset the electronics, the only thing I can think of doing is spinning the dial repeatedly in an attempt to dislodge any dirt that might be interfering with the contacts. Someone in another forum with an intermittent problem did this with the dial pointed downwards and saw the crud fall out! You could try fresh batteries, but this isn't an issue I ever had with low batteries in the F100.

New batteries didn't work at all.

HOWEVER - I've just been spinning the dial and using an air blower while I spin it to try and get something moving inside, and I've just managed to turn Custom Setting 12 on, so now I can use the back dial to change aperture hahahaha so I can actually use the camera as I usually want to (in aperture priority) now....

Will carry on trying to dislodge whatever is in there

Progress report, one side of the dial is now working completely fine... so I can open my aperture UP... but I can't close it down at all...

Back