Nikon F2

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m thinking I’d quite like to consolidate all my film gear into one body.

I’ve currently got a Nikon f80, Olympus Trip 35 and an ETRS which in truth doesn’t get used as much as any of it should.

I’m thinking about something like an f2 Nikon which I think would do all I want it to. I believe it has a simple metering option, it would hopefully allow me to use the lenses I have from my digital set up and to be honest would give me a more simple, clear set up to use.

Wondering about thoughts on the F2 - a few reviews I’ve read seem to hold it in pretty high regard.

Built like a brick outhouse. Built to last and feels functional and quality.

Last edited:
Just to ask the obvious, the lenses you have for your digital setup that you're planning to use on (potentially) the F2; they're not G lenses are they?

Just to ask the obvious, the lenses you have for your digital setup that you're planning to use on (potentially) the F2; they're not G lenses are they?

I have a mix of D and G lenses. :)

If you were near Edinburgh, you could borrow mine. It's a meterless one though.

Ok, so I believe - and I'm happy to be proven wrong - you won't have aperture control on the G lenses like you do when they're mounted to your F80. Apologies if you knew this already :D

I’m thinking about something like an f2 Nikon which I think would do all I want it to. I believe it has a simple metering option, it would hopefully allow me to use the lenses I have from my digital set up and to be honest would give me a more simple, clear set up to use.

Wondering about thoughts on the F2 - a few reviews I’ve read seem to hold it in pretty high regard.
I'm not sure why the F2 appeals particularly? I've an F3, FE2 and F80 and it may be the unloved F80 that gives the best results for me. I know that goes against the normal thinkng, but I'm not in the frontline that an F3 was designed for and the F80 gives better results with my AF lenses than the FE2 does on manual.

If you were near Edinburgh, you could borrow mine. It's a meterless one though.

That's very kind of you, sadly I'm quite away from you - but your offer is most appreciated.

Ok, so I believe - and I'm happy to be proven wrong - you won't have aperture control on the G lenses like you do when they're mounted to your F80. Apologies if you knew this already :D

That's cool. Thanks. I think I'd be covered for what I want one for with the d lenses I have.

I'm not sure why the F2 appeals particularly? I've an F3, FE2 and F80 and it may be the unloved F80 that gives the best results for me. I know that goes against the normal thinkng, but I'm not in the frontline that an F3 was designed for and the F80 gives better results with my AF lenses than the FE2 does on manual.

Oh it's simply a looks thing I think, along with the fact that it's quite un-digital. I really quite like the f80 and it is quite a potent little camera - however it still feels quite digital like in its operation and I would like the antithesis of what my D750 is.

It's really speculation at present given the film kit I have and the uses each body gets. I quite like the idea of just one good quality film camera that removes choice. I could, for instance add an OM1 to my existing kit bag but I'd still end up thinking what shall I use today!

Hi Dave,

I have an F3 and I love it! The camera is slightly more advanced than an F2 in that the metering is built into the body rather than having to own a photomic prism for the F2. It is lighter than the F2 as well but just as well built; it was Nikon's most reliable camera.

Buying a camera of this age will usually require a CLA and there is only really one person to trust with an F2 and his waiting times are almost 12 months I beleive!

The FE2 is also another excellent camera.

The D series lenses will work but they are no where near as nice to use as the Older (Ai & A-iS) Nikon glass.

Where in the Country are you Dave?

Thanks Fraser, that's interesting, I'll certainly look at the F3. I'm based nice and centrally in Worcestershire.

The F2 has been my favourite camera, bar none, for 40 years. There were five metering heads available (DP1, 2 ,3, 11 and 12) if I remember correctly, a meterless prism finder, an action finder and a couple of waist level finders. Nikon also offered a range of focus screens. The K screen was probably the most popular, and came standard on many of the F2s. It was a Fresnel screen with a split image rangefinder spot in the centre, surrounded by a narrow microprism collar. The heads and screens are user changeable and it only takes a few minutes, but some of them - in working order anyway - are becoming collector items now and aren't easy to find.

The FE/FE2 are both good cameras, as Fraser says, but they have aperture priority auto-exposure. The FM/FM2 are fully manual, like the F2; and there was the FM3a which also had aperture priority auto-exposure.

The F2 is a superb camera, and I think mine would probably be the last camera to go if I flogged them all. I completely agree with the other posters about not writing off the F3; it's a really great camera and although not quite as handsome as the F2, I think it's ergonomically slightly better (an evolution of the F2).

Ideally try both. The metering head variation is a bit confusing so read up and make sure you get the one that allows you to use D lenses (I think that's the F2A and the F2AS).

As Freecom2 has said, you woud need an A or an AS (the two AI finders) to get metering with a D lens. The D doesn't have the prong needed to couple with the older method used on the originsl Photomic, the S & the SB.

I won't say a thing against the F2. Was smitten the first time I got my hands on one & now have 3 working with a 4th bought as a repair project & 7 months into its year long wait for a trip to Sover Wong. Its just such a smooth camera to shoot with IMO. Like the heft & the way it feels in the hand. I have an F3 as well & more often shoot an F2 over it. Guess I am just more into shooting in manual at the moment & prefer to shoot a manual camera than an auto camera in manual.

None of the 3 F2's I have bought as working stands out as being in need of a CLA yet. Meters are accurate compared to other bodies. Best value is probably the A. Meters with AI lenses & is quite a bit cheaper than the AS. As carries a premium as it is quite a bit more sensitive to low light plus has LED's in place of the A's needle display. Tbh, unless the light is low I prefer the A's needle display & you can get around problems seeing the meter by adding a DL-1 viewfinder illuminator. Works a treat

The weak point on a lot of F2's meters is the ring resistor. Nikon revised it & have read that the later better wearing type is in the A's DP-11. Later DP-1's have it too.

Don't think you would go wrong with either an F2 or F3. The F3 has a really good meter & is also really nice to shoot with, even in manual.

Another body you could consider is the FM2N.

Thanks Fraser, that's interesting, I'll certainly look at the F3. I'm based nice and centrally in Worcestershire.

I live in Cheshire and if you wanted to try out my F3 kit for a week you would be welcome - I couldn't trust the postal service though as it is my pride and joy!

I live in Cheshire and if you wanted to try out my F3 kit for a week you would be welcome - I couldn't trust the postal service though as it is my pride and joy!
That’s really very kind of you, thanks. Not sure I’d trust the postal service either!

If I’m ever Cheshire way I’ll give you a shout for sure :)

Think I’m convinced from here and reading elsewhere an f3 May be the way to go. Now then, need to make the decision to sell my ETRS - which is a toughie! :eek:

I have an F3 as well & more often shoot an F2 over it. Guess I am just more into shooting in manual at the moment & prefer to shoot a manual camera than an auto camera in manual.

None of the 3 F2's I have bought as working stands out as being in need of a CLA yet. Meters are accurate compared to other bodies. Best value is probably the A. Meters with AI lenses & is quite a bit cheaper than the AS. As carries a premium as it is quite a bit more sensitive to low light plus has LED's in place of the A's needle display. Tbh, unless the light is low I prefer the A's needle display & you can get around problems seeing the meter by adding a DL-1 viewfinder illuminator. Works a treat

The value of the F2AS has shot up in the last few years - I really like my F2A and although the F2AS is considered the "best of the breed", the F2A gives you the full F2 experience. I suppose why I like the F3 as much is because I like shooting in aperture priority (and why my favourite all round camera is possibly the FE2).

I can mirror @DNH 's experience - both F2's I owned (one bought slightly ropey, one bought as a good example) required no work, and metered and had accurate shutter speeds.

I am half thinking about selling my f3, if you get to the stage of wanting to buy one let me know/pm and I will make my mind up and post a for sale thread.

Also considering selling my F3/t at the moment. Wanted one for ages but honestly, I just prefer shooting 35mm with the Leica. If you started a WANTED thread, I would respond but it will be reasonably priced. I just want back what I paid really.

I am half thinking about selling my f3, if you get to the stage of wanting to buy one let me know/pm and I will make my mind up and post a for sale thread.

Also considering selling my F3/t at the moment. Wanted one for ages but honestly, I just prefer shooting 35mm with the Leica. If you started a WANTED thread, I would respond but it will be reasonably priced. I just want back what I paid really.

Thanks guys, all sorted now - hopefully got one coming this week sometime!

Any particular reason you prefer the Leica over the F3 @gazmorton2000?

Thanks guys, all sorted now - hopefully got one coming this week sometime!

Any particular reason you prefer the Leica over the F3 @gazmorton2000?

Hmmmm, I am not entirely sure. Maybe because I have used it longer? It's lovely and smooth, feels beautiful to use, wind on and shoot with. Quiet shutter, quick to focus, smaller. Think I have just got used to it to be honest and feels indulgent keeping the F3.

Back