Nikon F3HP - best SLR of all time?

Latitude of neg film is excellent, but positive film is less tolerant to inaccurate shutter speed\exposure. ;)

I know. But again; I've never had an issue with any mechanical camera regarding shutter speed and exposure accuracy. I have had cameras with electronic shutters, fail. This is not to say one is better than the other, this is just my own personal experience.

I know. But again; I've never had an issue with any mechanical camera regarding shutter speed and exposure accuracy. I have had cameras with electronic shutters, fail. This is not to say one is better than the other, this is just my own personal experience.

H'mm I've just noticed my Spotmatic only gives an even light (viewed with back open) up to 1/250 sec :eek: but the results on neg film were ok below that speed when I last used it.

H'mm I've just noticed my Spotmatic only gives an even light (viewed with back open) up to 1/250 sec :eek: but the results on neg film were ok below that speed when I last used it.

Only way to find out is to chuck some film through it...

Perhaps do a series of exposures at different speeds, using a digital camera with a known reliable shutter, for comparison.

Last edited:
Only way to find out is to chuck some film through it...

Perhaps do a series of exposures at different speeds, using a digital camera with a known reliable shutter, for comparison.

A rough check on camera shutter speeds is you should get a circular\iris shape flash of light at all speeds when viewed with the back open and pointing at the sky......but the Spotmatic is a probable at 1/500 sec and black at 1/1000 sec ..anyway I rarely use a camera over 1/250 in gloomy UK.

Just bought an EOS1n on Ebay, for what seemed like a bargain price! :ROFLMAO: With the PDB-E1 and Command Data Back E1. Just to see what the EOS thing is all about.

Now all I need is a lens...

Turns out it's just a plain old EOS1. But in fantastic condition, and I got a partial refund, meaning it's cost me very little. Found a bargain 'faulty' 50mm f1.4 lens on Ebay, and even though the seller was a dick, that's working fine other than it doesn't switch to MF. Meh. Not bothered. It was super cheap anyway.

First impressions: It feels really nice. Ages since I last handled one. Very good physical ergonomics, fits the hand perhaps a bit nicer than the F4, on a par with the F5. AF seems quick, can't really discern any significant difference with the F4, other than the Nikon seems to focus in two distinct 'phases'; rough focus, then a second 'fine tuning' phase. But the EOS is definitely more plasticky than either Nikon, lots more polycarbonate. Custom function flap is very flimsy. And a lot of functions require button + dial to select/activate. Slower and more fiddly. With the data back, you lose the rear dial, so have to use the AEL button. I've ordered a standard back with the dial, which I imagine would speed things up. That is a big design flaw with the data back imo. Power switch is fiddly, but then it is with both Nikons too. But in a stupid place on the EOS, imo. But then; the MF-23 on the F4 is hideous; an ugly lump that sticks right out and ruins the ergonomics. No idea why it needs to be so bulky. Can't properly get it comfortably to my eye, what with my big nose. :ROFLMAO:

Viewfinder: Nowhere near as nice as the Nikons. Not great for a specs wearer at all. But I do like the match needle exposure display. That's nicer than either Nikons, as it's bigger and clearer. Dioptre adjustment is good.

Other things: No cable release socket. Ok so there isn't one on the F5 either. But the one on the F4 means you don't have to buy a hideously expensive electronic release. Body weight with the PDB-E1 feels similar to the F4s. The F4s does feel significantly more substantial though, just tougher, more metal. Both Nikons feel better built. Both feel like 'more' camera for the money, somehow. The EOS1 feels nicer than any other EOS camera I've ever handled though. Always preferred Nikons for 'feel'.

I'll stick some film through it and have a play. It's nice to own a proper top end pro camera, but as for if I'll keep it or not, I don't know yet. Maybe I'll fall in love with it, who knows?

What about the most bang for your buck? I bought this Canon Eos 500 with its 28-80mm lens in a charity shop for £10. It can produce very acceptable images...

Canon Eos 1DS II CL7376.JPG

What about the most bang for your buck? I bought this Canon Eos 500 with its 28-80mm lens in a charity shop for £10. It can produce very acceptable images...

I had a friend bought one of those way back in the late 90s. Was a decent little camera, but the market was saturated at that point. You couldn't buy a 'bad' camera really, they were all so sophisticated and capable by then. Getting that for a tenner is a stunning bargain. And stick the same lenses on it, it'll perform as well as the EOS1. So many cameras of that era going for literally pennies now. Whilst the hipsters buy up all the old mechanical bodies, these later AF cameras offer a fantastically cheap way of getting into film photography.

View attachment 272007

Canon EOS 30 (body only) for £32 in mint condition and full working order with original strap. It features a 35 zone metering system, eye controlled focus, built-in flash and 4 frames per second auto-wind, and it's small, light and very quiet for an autofocus 35mm SLR too. Got to be the most bang for buck I've ever had for a camera.

Last edited:
Canon EOS 30 (body only) for £32 in mint condition and full working order with original strap. It features a 35 zone metering system, eye controlled focus, built-in flash and 4 frames per second auto-wind, and it's small, light and very quiet for an autofocus 35mm SLR too. Got to be the most bang for buck I've ever had for a camera.

......or a mint EOS 300v body, and is VG poor man's EOS 30.... for a fiver at the bootie o_O;)
The annoying bit is using two more expensive 3v cr2 batteries and being a tight wad like cameras that can use AA batteries or cells.o_O

Last edited:
The annoying bit is using two more expensive 3v cr2 batteries and being a tight wad like cameras that can use AA batteries or cells.o_O

This annoyed me so much . Batteries would cost loads, like a tenner or more! Then last just a few rolls, it seemed. One reason I preferred the Nikon SLRs of the 90s, was that the good ones at least, mostly took AA batteries, rather than expensive and sometimes hard to find lithium etc ones. I have a bunch of old AF compacts from that era; they may work fine, but then it could cost me more in batteries than I could flog them for on Ebay! :LOL:

This annoyed me so much . Batteries would cost loads, like a tenner or more! Then last just a few rolls, it seemed. One reason I preferred the Nikon SLRs of the 90s, was that the good ones at least, mostly took AA batteries, rather than expensive and sometimes hard to find lithium etc ones. I have a bunch of old AF compacts from that era; they may work fine, but then it could cost me more in batteries than I could flog them for on Ebay! :LOL:

My EOS 300v (and EOS 300) are not used as it's going to cost about £5 for two 3v batteries before I even put a film in it :( and I have other cameras with AA and cells I can use instead (y)

Last edited:
I just watched this auction end. Got too rich for my blood quickly. Still...

Brand new F3. Came with the original receipt from 1981. Bought at Hiramatsu Camera Co. in Kobe, Japan. Original price, 16,000 yen. ($365 hand written on the receipt.)

This auction is from a charity thrift shop, meaning somebody just dropped it off. I feel bad for the camera. Forty years a thoroughbred, and never run.

GW_F3.JPG

Last edited:
I bought an EOS 50E several years ago when I had a Canon dslr. It came with an external battery grip that takes rechargeable AAs, so that saved me buying the expensive CR2(?) batteries for it. Maybe look out for a cheap battery grip for your 300V Brian?

Thanks Peter I didn't know one existed, but I have so many other cameras to use I'll probaly never use my two EOS 300s unless I find a bargain AF prime at the bootie ;)
But my belief in not taking an expensive camera where there could be dodgy places or sandy beaches esp with kids, it might be useful with my T70 o_O

I just watched this auction end. Got too rich for my blood quickly. Still...

Brand new F3. Came with the original receipt from 1981. Bought at Hiramatsu Camera Co. in Kobe, Japan. Original price, 16,000 yen. ($365 hand written on the receipt.)

This auction is from a charity thrift shop, meaning somebody just dropped it off. I feel bad for the camera. Forty years a thoroughbred, and never run.

What did that go for in the end? $477 US? I'd have gone for that. They seem to go for a LOT more than that on EBay UK, in minto boxed condition.

I'm after an F3T. I've decided I want the 'best' version of it, and the Ti model is a bit lighter as well. Talking £200+ on top for the T. I think I'd quite like the MD4 to go with it as well.

Thanks Peter I didn't know one existed, but I have so many other cameras to use I'll probaly never use my two EOS 300s unless I find a bargain AF prime at the bootie ;)
But my belief in not taking an expensive camera where there could be dodgy places or sandy beaches esp with kids, it might be useful with my T70 o_O
I don't know about CR2 batteries in an EOS 300, but I've never yet had to replace the CR123 batteries I've put in any of my EOS 30/v cameras and I've put quite a few films through them, They seem to last for ages, and probably don't leak if left in the camera like alkali AAs tend to once they've gone flat.

So I think it's well worth the £4 or so you can buy a fresh set of 2 Lithium batteries for from a reputable seller on eBay. All that photo fun for the price of a supermarket pizza! It's a no brainer when a pack of 4 good quality alkali AAs can cost not much less than that. Penny wise - pound foolish, as the saying goes, Brian! ;)

I don't know about CR2 batteries in an EOS 300, but I've never yet had to replace the CR123 batteries I've put in any of my EOS 30/v cameras and I've put quite a few films through them, They seem to last for ages, and probably don't leak if left in the camera like alkali AAs tend to once they've gone flat.

So I think it's well worth the £4 or so you can buy a fresh set of 2 Lithium batteries for from a reputable seller on eBay. All that photo fun for the price of a supermarket pizza! It's a no brainer when a pack of 4 good quality alkali AAs can cost not much less than that. Penny wise - pound foolish, as the saying goes, Brian! ;)

Of course you are right, but I've only got two Canon AF zooms (although I could use it for M42), but have 19mm to 300mm in FD mount (20 in all) so I'd have to start again for EF mount. :eek:
The advantage of my F4 is it can take my pre AI 24 and 105mm lenses, unfortunately Canon decided to ditch FD users.

Last edited:
Of course you are right, but I've only got two Canon AF zooms (although I could use it for M42), but have 19mm to 300mm in FD mount (20 in all) so I'd have to start again for EF mount. :eek:
The advantage of my F4 is it can take my pre AI 24 and 105mm lenses, unfortunately Canon decided to ditch FD users.
Yes, but once their users switched to the EOS EF lens system, it would go on to work with full functionality on every EOS camera ever made, to this day. So, in retrospect, I'm convinced that Canon did the right thing.

If I were you, I'd look out for a cheap Canon EF 28-105 zoom, then use that on your EOS 300. That will cover most walk about eventualities. If you want a different focal length then you've got your Canon FD cameras for that. :)

If I were you, I'd look out for a cheap Canon EF 28-105 zoom, then use that on your EOS 300. That will cover most walk about eventualities. If you want a different focal length then you've got your Canon FD cameras for that

That's what I did when testing my two EOS cameras out i.e. carried the very light EOS 300 or 300v and a MFocus camera. Any newbie reading this, if you can pick up an EOS 300 or better still EOS 300v for peanuts...... they are very good cameras.

Back