Nikon film cameras.. any opinions and advice?

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
Yes
Fancy having a bit of a throwback and using film again.

First (and last!) 35mm camera I had (and still have!) is an Olympus OM10, with the Manual adaptor. Obviously this is now 28 years old and has it's limitations and I've been using digital for quite a while now so not really kept up with what's out there in the SLR non digital world. I bought the OM10 at the age of 15 after slaving on our local market stalls to pay for it.

Ideally Nikon so I can use the same lenses (that's if you can use new Nikon AF/AF-S lenses on the older Nikons??) on the non digital SLR cameras? I know you can the other way so don't see why not??

I have a D300 and a few lenses to go with it so thinking if I had a Nikon, then I could just buy the body and use the same lenses.
Will the auto focus work on say something like the F5 if I use my AF-S Nikkor 28-55mm lens?

Is the F5 a good buy? Looking at no more than £250-£300 really as it probably will only be a fad until a shoot several films and get bored waiting!

Used the F4 and F5 for years, never really liked either of them, always preferred the EOS1 from that era.
F5 was way ahead of the F4, so out of the 2 go for that one, if you don't want to buy Canon lenses.

Allright Al (y)

yep, tiz me :)

All good here. You ?

I don't do nikon, so no help from me on this, sorry :)

yep, tiz me :)

All good here. You ?

I don't do nikon, so no help from me on this, sorry :)

can't complain! No one cares if I do!!

Moved back 'home' to Shropshire last year in to the country and have started doing a lot more photography in the last 3 months now we're settled in. 28 years since I picked up my first camera and still enjoy it as much as I did then. Just fancy taking a trip down memory lane and shooting with film again. As much as digital is good, there is something missing from just a good unmolested photograph.

can't complain! No one cares if I do!!

Moved back 'home' to Shropshire last year in to the country and have started doing a lot more photography in the last 3 months now we're settled in. 28 years since I picked up my first camera and still enjoy it as much as I did then. Just fancy taking a trip down memory lane and shooting with film again. As much as digital is good, there is something missing from just a good unmolested photograph.

I use a Canon EOS3 when I take my 5DII (digital) out. the lenses are interchangable. I like a good compact SLR like the Pentax ME, if I want to travel light. Or even the Trip, if I want a 'pocket' film camera. I do prefer a focus screen though.

I do like the way film makes you think before you click. Plenty of times I line a shot up in the viewfinder, and discard it without clicking. I find with digi, you just click away regardless, almost.

You got a flickr account ?

you still working from the same unit, or did you move that closer to 'home' ?

I use a Canon EOS3 when I take my 5DII (digital) out. the lenses are interchangable. I like a good compact SLR like the Pentax ME, if I want to travel light. Or even the Trip, if I want a 'pocket' film camera. I do prefer a focus screen though.

I do like the way film makes you think before you click. Plenty of times I line a shot up in the viewfinder, and discard it without clicking. I find with digi, you just click away regardless, almost.

You got a flickr account ?

you still working from the same unit, or did you move that closer to 'home' ?

nope, never set up a Flickr account, just use Photobucket!
Might get round to it one day soon!

We're next to RAF Cosford, not sure if you'd been to that place, pretty sure you have?? Before that we were at Four Ashes.
Only 12 minutes on a good day from where we moved to into work anyway!

Last edited:
The F5 is a fantastic camera, so is the F100, and your modern lenses will function pretty much how they would on a D300 on both.
DX lenses like the 18-55 are made for crop sensor cameras, so they won't cover a 35mm film frame.

four ashes is where your started the breaky meets ? - I think that's the only place i've been to.

anyway ... WAY OT: !! :LOL:

anyone know anything about old nikon stuff ???? :D

The F5 is a fantastic camera, so is the F100, and your modern lenses will function pretty much how they would on a D300 on both.
DX lenses like the 18-55 are made for crop sensor cameras, so they won't cover a 35mm film frame.

ahh good point, so the DX won't work but I'm presuming my AF-VR 80-400 and Sigma DC 18-200 will be ok then??

Looking at no more than £250-£300 really as it probably will only be a fad until a shoot several films and get bored waiting!

Huh! I'm happy at times with a MTL3 + helios 44m or Meyer nifty fifty lens...bought for £6.

I've got a D300 and an F100 and they are very similar and both bloody brilliant. F100 is most of the F5 only for half the price and I suppose its the equivelant of a D700 in todays money. All your Nikon lenses will fit and work perfectly.

Andy

I've got a D300 and an F100 and they are very similar and both bloody brilliant. F100 is most of the F5 only for half the price and I suppose its the equivelant of a D700 in todays money. All your Nikon lenses will fit and work perfectly.

Andy

cheers for that, will look at the F100 on the bay a bit later. Just to confirm, my lenses will work ok on the F100 or not?

I had to ditch ALL my crop lenses when I went full frame

cheers for that, will look at the F100 on the bay a bit later. Just to confirm, my lenses will work ok on the F100 or not?

If I'm correct any Nikon lenses which are pre-AI will damage the camera if you try to mount them, any AI lenses will mount and meter correctly on both the D300 and F100. Any Nikon lenses with FX in the title were designed to be used on full frame cameras.

Actually all the info you need is here (y)

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

Cheers

Andy

Andy

Took your advise Andy and have just bought an F100, and some film!!
Looking forward to shooting a few rolls again. Just a shame it's a double bank holiday as I won't get it till Thursday at the earliest!

Well done Alistair, looking forward to seeing your pics.

Andy

Back