Nikon focus ring rubber is poor quality

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
This is or was on my Nikon AF-s 24-70mm f2.8 lens lens. As shown the rubber has stretched to an unacceptable amount

ta8Fv3h.jpg

having ordered a new third party piece this shows how much against a new one, The pin shows the amount of stretch

zBmYZ3r.jpg

Having fitted the new rubber the amount of ribbing is a lot deeper giving better grip

saWtyUS.jpg

For the cost of these lenses Nikon really need to look towards using a different supplier of these parts.

Think you need to tell Nikon Bazza.

For the cost of the lens you'd have thought they could have supplied decent rubber.

There must be a reason to that other than bad supplier.
I have never in 40+ years seen anything like that. :jawdrop:

I had the same failure with the D300 hand body hold where the red flash is. That rubber did the same thing.and i had to replace that. The lens is a UK purchase not some grey import but had it a few years now.
Maybe the natural oil in my skin that causes it to get soft and this happens

Last edited:
[QUOTE For the cost of these lenses Nikon really need to look towards using a different supplier of these parts.[/QUOTE]

I think the adhesive has been the real failure and not necessarily the rubber

Seen that on a few used Nikon lenses of various ages, probably a combination of rubber 'relaxing' and poor adhesive.

My 70-200 VR2 went the same way, only a couple of years old.

In 25+ years of consistent and regular use of quality Nikon lenses I have never had that happen.

Have you had it from new?

Ahh no adhesive so basically its rubber stretch which is no real biggy. You obviously give the zoom ring some hammer;)

The exact same thing has happened to my Nikkor 24-70mm lens,bought new in the UK nearly seven years ago,need to replace the rubber as well,its my most used lens.

In 25+ years of consistent and regular use of quality Nikon lenses I have never had that happen.

Have you had it from new?

Yes all my camera and lenses bought as new. These are top quality pro lenses costing well over the four figure sum and yet this happens.. I think it is the natural oil in the skin makes them soften up and stretch

[QUOTE For the cost of these lenses Nikon really need to look towards using a different supplier of these parts.

I think the adhesive has been the real failure and not necessarily the rubber[/QUOTE]

There is no adhesive with these rings thy are slip on only
Judging by the number of people selling them on that auction site it must be a common problem

Last edited:
There is no adhesive with these rings thy are slip on only
Judging by the number of people selling them on that auction site it must be a common problem

To be fair they are not exactly expensive to replace. I bought a set from Nikon uk spares for a 24-70 for under £7 a year or so ago.

Last edited:
timely tread.
I need a new rubber grip for all mine. 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200.
off to the web for a look

Another issue with the rubber that I see quite often is, after a while, the rubber starts to turn grey instead of the usual black colour. Makes the lens look very old.

Another issue with the rubber that I see quite often is, after a while, the rubber starts to turn grey instead of the usual black colour. Makes the lens look very old.

Have never noticed that on any of the Nikon lenses I have owned although have seen that happen with some of the Sigma lenses.

It happens all the time. We have a box full of various sized Nikon rubber rings (very little standardisation!) and we just replace them as required.

Though it's just occurred to me, we don't have boxes of various sized Canon or Sigma rubber rings, and we don't feel the need for them. Of course some Canon and Sigma rings need to be replaced from time to time, but not with the same frequency as Nikon, even allowing for the different quantities of lenses and usage rates. That's quite interesting.

Last edited:
Back