Nikon for low light sports

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm after another nikon body to go with my d300 for sports. I shoot football and hockey with a 300 2.8 on the d300 with great success, however I am in the market for something to replace the d300 as a main body and keep the d300 as a second body with wide angle or 70-200 on to use alongside the new body and 300 2.8.

I feel I need this as football games often run into the dark afternoons and some national league hockey are 6/7pm evening games so light is poor at best.

I can't really afford brand new as i am getting married next week but something used would be ideal. What would people recommend I consider? Don't mind full frame but will see a loss of range from a crop sensor won't i?

Thabks for any info

Used D3s,D3. D700 In that order of preference for me anyway.
Or in reverse order price wise from less than £500 now used and warranted.
D 7xxx series are really good value to at the moment :)

Last edited:
Cheers phiggy, I had noted down the d700 first so that's good. Will take a look at what d3 bodies are out there i guess that just depends on price difference between those and the 700 and what i can push too.

D750 if you can stretch to it. Good prices second hand out there.

The older generation have been way, way surpassed in terms of low light and noise performance.

Lots of people are putting the D750 very very close to the D4 or D4s in terms of noise and AF. It's very impressive.

D700 is easily on a par image wise add a grip and en-el4 and you get 8fps if you need a high frame rate D3 is really well weather proofed and heavy ;)

D750.

The older generation have been way, way surpassed in terms of low light and noise performance.

I can't really afford brand new as i am getting married next week but something used would be ideal. What would people recommend I consider? Don't mind full frame but will see a loss of range from a crop sensor won't i?

The D750 is impressive but at a price :(

Last edited:
You should have no problem with the D700 it's the D300 big brother and a great camera share same batteries and control lay out :) Can even share the grip :)

You can get a new D750 for around 1K new but used ones are often going for more :thinking:

Last edited:
Hay your almost on my doorstep if you want to meet up you can try out my D3 D700 and anything else if you want ? PM me if you want Dan?

If you're shooting a 300mm lens then you're going to need to crop to get the same subject size in the frame. With 12mp to start with, that may not leave you with much cropability.

The new D7200 is probably on par with the D700 for low light performance and also offers much higher resolution and you will still keep your effective 450mm FOV. I don't think it has the same frame rate but it's only 1 or 2 shy of a gripped 300/700.

Buying grey would get you one for around £590 i believe.

Interesting point David, I had wondered where the FX would leave me with regards to framing shots, I'd notice quite a difference wouldn't I.

someone was selling a pair of d700's in classifieds not so long ago

Interesting point David, I had wondered where the FX would leave me with regards to framing shots, I'd notice quite a difference wouldn't I.

Oh you will certainly see a difference in image size especially if you find that you tend to do a lot of cropping with the images you capture TBH. That being the case I would look at a New D7200 :)

It's funny, with the hockey I shoot I am often too tight and cutting players feet off with the 300, so in one respect it would be useful for full frame but then I'd loose reach when they move down field away from me lol but that's life isn't it.

Also I'd get more of a true wide angle from my 12-24 which wouldn't be a bad thing, I could have the benefit of both full and crop sensor which might be good.

I will do some studying and see what I can come up with, it's been useful to hear people's opinions and advice so thankyou for that much appreciated :)

Hope all goes well on your wedding day :)
You never know your wife to be might get you a camera as a wedding gift ;)

Back