Nikon If and non IF lenses

Edit My Images
No
Hi.

I have a Nikon D3300 and have been looking at Nikon 70-300mm and 55-200mm VR lenses, but with both there seem to be slightly different versions. Some say IF and others don’t.

I know the IF stands for Internal Focusing, but when researching the lenses it always seems to say the 70-300mm and 55-200mm have IF. When looking to buy, both come up under search results and you can’t always see if they have IF written on. Also, ones without IF written on boxes/manuals do sometimes have it written on part of the lens.

There is a price variation between the IF and non IF versions. Also, sometimes I see a review that mentions IF in the product title and it’ll have a negative point, but then I’ll see a review that doesn’t have IF in the product title, but says it has IF and is very positive.

I have seen both the 70-330mm and the 55-200mm recommended by people on forums, but they don’t usually give a full product title.

Is there a difference between the IF and non IF ones? Do they all have IF? Do I just go with whichever is cheapest and not worry whether it says IF or not?

Thanks.

IF – Lenses that use internal (I) focussing (F) rather than turning outer lens elements.

The less expensive ones will be Non IF but where you can tell the difference between them?

Maybe not without pixel peeping but normal viewing distances, questionable.

Last edited:
IF – Lenses that use internal (I) focussing (F) rather than turning outer lens elements.

The less expensive ones will be Non IF but where you can tell the difference between them?

Maybe not without pixel peeping but normal viewing distances, questionable.

Actually, it's the non IF ones that are more expensive usually, which is why I am confused.

My issue is that based on reviews and sometimes on one bit only of the lens, the non IF ones also appear to have IF!

I don't know if it is region based? So, for example, a Europe product title includes IF and a UK product title doesn't, but the actual lens is the same.

Actually, it's the non IF ones that are more expensive usually, which is why I am confused.

My issue is that based on reviews and sometimes on one bit only of the lens, the non IF ones also appear to have IF!

I don't know if it is region based? So, for example, a Europe product title includes IF and a UK product title doesn't, but the actual lens is the same.

OOPPPSSSS Sorry, thought it was the other way around.

HMMMM just been looking at the Nikon 70-300 you mention above and yes you can find those that have IF on them like:

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED has been discontinued and, from what I can see was a FX lens, so if used on the DX camera you would have to faster in the crop factor.

This has been replaced by the:

AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR this is (according to Nikon) a redesign of the lens and an update in technology and glass, hence the AF-P at the beginning. This is like a fair number of newer lens, might have compatibility issues with older cameras, not sure it would work on my D700 for example (just looked it up, limited compatibility, ni idea what that means as it is not a lens I would be buying).
However looking at the Nikons own website this is a IF lens as well even though it does not appear on the lens or title.
Could be a revamp of the marketing and leaving the IF off the lens name, is a quick and easy way to see the difference between old and new......Just a guess.

Not looked it up but the 55-200 could be the same?

Ah right. Makes sense. I think perhaps some people have got mixed up and instead of AF-S should have put AF-P or whatever (or sometimes I've not noticed the small change because it's not what I searched and I automatically read it as what I expected it to be lol). Revamps, seller/user errors, usual errors of search engines and bad filters make for a confusing mess lol.

I will be triple checking specs and compatibility before I buy anything, that's for sure.

Thanks for replying.

I seem to recall the focus ring spinning on my 55-200 VR during autofocus :thinking: IF lenses shouldn't have anything moving externally. I may be wrong though as it's been quite a number of years since I got rid of it. My friend has one though so I'll ask him.

Back