Nikon ISO3200 comparison

Name
Andy Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
Back in November, I evaluted an S5 Pro, D300 and D2X shooting all 3 bodies for a month. I only kept one body (S5 Pro if interested) after shooting several hundred shots in various shooting situations (low ISO, high ISO etc)

Anyhow, here is a fairly well controlled torture test I ran - ISO3200, *terrible light* (flourescent) on each body.

I used Capture One. I used each camera to shoot the other body, picked the body up, replaced the current body, and re-shot. Light did not change, although each camera metered differently (but all exposed fine)

Nikon D2X @ ISO3200:

capture1-iso3200-D2X.jpg

Fuji S5 Pro @ ISO3200:

capture1-iso3200-s5pro.JPG

D300 @ ISO3200 (bit of wobbled (mirror slap on this doesn't change noise rendering)

capture1-iso3200-d300.JPG

This was the set-up:

capture1-iso3200.JPG

I won't comment on my opinions on the results yet :)

I was tempted to add D700 and D60 shots, but as this will be taken later than the original set-up (and light will be different), I'm not sure it'll be comparable. I could do it "for fun" but not for comparison sakes.

I can tell you the D700 will be a little better than any of them, and the D60 about the same as the D300 (nothing will ever look worse than a D2X!).

Added D60 (re-shot, same light bulb, but couldn't get identical framing) - my manual focusing was off (focus on "Nikon"), but doesn't impact noise.

D60 does better than I thought! (ISO3200 is HI-1)

capture1-iso3200-D60.jpg

D700:

capturenx-iso3200-D700.jpg

(Had to use Capture NX, turned NR off, note D700 is much more sensisitve so it gave 1/50th exposure)

D60 and D700 images are not comparable to the first three, these two are just for Krazy_Horse :)

The trouble with comparing images at 100% from cameras with different numbers of megapixels is that it's effectively comparing different magnifications.

Still the S5 does well. The D700 is sick. :)

Well 3 of those camera are 12 megapixels, D2X, D300 and D700.

The S5, D300 and D700 all control chroma noise well. All have luminance noise.

The D60 has a bit more chroma (blue dots like the D2X).

The D2X is probably about 1 stop worse than anything else (DR is severely curtailed), the D700 about 1 stop better than the others.

The S5 Pro and D700 have more detail in the shadows, probably as they have better dynamic range?

Although I should stress the D60 and D700 shots are only comparable with each other, while I tried to match the setup (and got close for position, light and shutter speed) its not controlled vs the top 3.

Now that's what i'm talking about, D700 wahoo! Practically night vision ;)

That D60 is pretty damn impressive too, might have to have a looksie at one of those myself.

Back