Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Focus and recompose is challenging on a very thin dof though
it is but Manuel focus has been used for years with thin dof shots with no issues, it is still achievable with practice.
and lets face it there are a lot of shots that would be better with a greater dof but the trend at present seems to be to over use it or think a crap shot is good just by using thin dof. there are good thin dof shots but its no replacement for a good photographer and a well composed shot.

I see some have decent lighting on those, it just depends on the arena.

If you shoot on those conditions all the time then fair enough.

However there are a lot of sports played in good light so it depends on what you shoot.

Yeah agree with the light - its just unfortuanate that a lot of the areas are badly lit that I attend (the more updated/expensive ones are so much better!)

I'm not even saying the A7iii would be better or worse that the D750 in these kind of lights - its just a bit of the unknown!

For canikon to nail there first attempted they basically need to canabalise there existing DSLR family by offering a mirrorless body that rivals what sony has brought out with the tech and features and price point.
Is it really "cannibalising" anything though ... does it really matter to Nikon and Canon (bottom line) if the ILC (Interchangeable Lens Camera) sold is mirrorless or dSLR. It always strikes me as strange that we (as consumers) still worry about this distinction. For example - I prefer my ILC with a mirror box and pentaprism because I find the compromise with mirrorless (the EVF primarily) to outweigh the advantages. Other people prefer their ILC to be mirrorless because they feel the advantages of mirrorless over dSLR to outweigh the advantages. But both are designed to do the same job at the end of the day ... just one person prefers one over the other and while I prefer dSLR I don't think anyone is "wrong" in liking a mirrorless.

it is but Manuel focus has been used for years with thin dof shots with no issues, it is still achievable with practice.
Don't forget though that older cameras were designed with manual focusing in mind, when AF came along (and especially in modern digital) focus aids such as split prisms in the view finder were dropped and seen as no longer required.
and lets face it there are a lot of shots that would be better with a greater dof but the trend at present seems to be to over use it or think a crap shot is good just by using thin dof. there are good thin dof shots but its no replacement for a good photographer and a well composed shot.
+1

My eyes glaze over when reviews (and press releases / previews) start talking about bokeh too!

I would guess the first Nikon Mirrorless will be high end and expensive. Kind of a showcase

I'm thinking it'll be a low/mid-range model, mostly because the D750 needs a refresh and has such a good reputation so it makes sense to play off that. The D850 just came out a few months ago and seems to be successful so probably best not to cannibalise its sales and I just don't think they've got a high end sensor (like the A9) ready to go.

Last edited:
Is it really "cannibalising" anything though ... does it really matter to Nikon and Canon (bottom line) if the ILC (Interchangeable Lens Camera) sold is mirrorless or dSLR. It always strikes me as strange that we (as consumers) still worry about this distinction. For example - I prefer my ILC with a mirror box and pentaprism because I find the compromise with mirrorless (the EVF primarily) to outweigh the advantages. Other people prefer their ILC to be mirrorless because they feel the advantages of mirrorless over dSLR to outweigh the advantages. But both are designed to do the same job at the end of the day ... just one person prefers one over the other and while I prefer dSLR I don't think anyone is "wrong" in liking a mirrorless.
But it could alienate you as a dslr user who maybe in 4 years time wish to upgrade your dslr to another one but it wont exist anymore(possibly) so you are stuck with changing to mirrorless.

Basically i dont think canikon have the resources to invest in both dslr and mirrorless. Its one or the other especially for Nikon with smaller resource then canon/sony

But it could alienate you as a dslr user who maybe in 4 years time wish to upgrade your dslr to another one but it wont exist anymore(possibly) so you are stuck with changing to mirrorless.

Basically i dont think canikon have the resources to invest in both dslr and mirrorless. Its one or the other especially for Nikon with smaller resource then canon/sony
I have been saying this for years, DSLR technology is old.... it will go the same way the old Film camera's went..... and that is, it will eventually become a minority user base, its only a question of when. :)

Don't forget though that older cameras were designed with manual focusing in mind, when AF came along (and especially in modern digital) focus aids such as split prisms in the view finder were dropped and seen as no longer required.

+1

My eyes glaze over when reviews (and press releases / previews) start talking about bokeh too!
:D
its a non issue really I still use film cameras both af and mf and can achieve focus manually on both but yep it is harder without split screen etc. but with digi focus aids on mirrorless its easier than both

I'm thinking it'll be the mid-range model, mostly because the D750 needs a refresh and has such a good reputation so it makes sense to play off that. The D850 just came out a few months ago and seems to be successful so probably best not to cannibalise its sales and I just don't think they've got a high end sensor (like the A9) ready to go.

Agree the D750 needs a refresh, but it still remains one of the most capable FF cameras in its price bracket. It's low light abilities are still up there with anything else on offer.

I think the only thing it lacks for me is mainly a slightly higher FPS. I can't think of anything else that I would need from a camera. But yes, it looks like Nikon will go mirrorless so will have to jump when the D750 gives up.

I have been saying this for years, DSLR technology is old.... it will go the same way the old Film camera's went..... and that is, it will eventually become a minority user base, its only a question of when. :)
I hate to say it but the way trends are going all stand alone cameras will go the way of the dodo :(

Also, the pace of which camera bodies get updated now, i dont think canikon can get away with updating there bodies once every 4 years?

I hate to say it but the way trends are going all stand alone cameras will go the way of the dodo :(
not for pro or enthusiast.

For instance the ergonomics of phones for taking still is poor especially on large phones too!

The AF and sensor size is self explanatory really.

Phones will not kill off dedicated camera's

not for pro or enthusiast.

For instance the ergonomics of phones for taking still is poor especially on large phones too!

The AF and sensor size is self explanatory really.

Phones will not kill off dedicated camera's
I didn't talk about phones. I think it will be a small market segment using high end cameras like large format film now, and pro use might just be from video screen capture or possibly from satellite:eek::D who knows.

Also, the pace of which camera bodies get updated now, i dont think canikon can get away with updating there bodies once every 4 years?
its only sony that updates every 4 weeks:p I think bigger gaps make more sense, we really could get real upgrades then rather than the little changes we have now

I haven't used a Nikon D750 so can't comment too much, however from what I have seen online, the Sony A7 III's 24mp BSI sensor is now the leader of the pack out of the 24mp lot. :)
I find all the 24 meg sensors much of a muchness all the dxo scores are very similar, certainly within the margin of testing error.

I accept different companies will tweak them and yes the latest backlit 24 meg sensor has fractionally better high iso but it remains the same sensor in every other ff camera.

As for Nikon’s new sensor? It will be Sony’s old tech a bit like the better F1 teams selling last years tech to Force India.;)

As for Nikon’s new sensor? It will be Sony’s old tech a bit like the better F1 teams selling last years tech to Force India.;)
Remember Sony Imaging and Nikon are both CUSTOMERS for Sony Semiconductors. If Nikon is continuing using Sony sensors (and the D850 it appears is from TowerJazz and the Nikon 1 sensors were mostly Nikon in-house designs) then Sony Semiconductors isn't going to p*** off its biggest large format customer - Nikon still have a bigger market share than Sony Imaging.

(Oh and in terms of engines - which is the only thing Force India buy - Mercedes recognise its better to sell them the current spec engine rather than an old design)

Yes that is a possibility... but I don't see dSLR going away until sales are down to only a few percentage. Remember Nikon is the company who still (at least until very recently if its now discontinued I'm unsure) sell a film camera...

Yes manual focus has been about for years and yes you can focus and recompose and the shot may well look ok but these days there's a tendency to pixel peep and if you look closely at shots taken at wider apertures by focusing and recomposing suddenly it doesn't look so good and no you can't focus and recompose and get results that stand up to close inspection consistently with practice. Well, with a 17-35mm lens at f8 you can but try it with a 85mm at f1.4 and you can't.

Yes you can hide focus errors or questionable technique with deeper depth of field and say that thin dof is the preserve of gear freaks and bokeh nerds but that's a different argument :D

Yes manual focus has been about for years and yes you can focus and recompose and the shot may well look ok but these days there's a tendency to pixel peep and if you look closely at shots taken at wider apertures by focusing and recomposing suddenly it doesn't look so good and no you can't focus and recompose and get results that stand up to close inspection consistently with practice. Well, with a 17-35mm lens at f8 you can but try it with a 85mm at f1.4 and you can't.

Yes you can hide focus errors or questionable technique with deeper depth of field and say that thin dof is the preserve of gear freaks and bokeh nerds but that's a different argument :D
And if you can get the shot done easier then why go for the harder route just for the sake of it?

Remember Sony Imaging and Nikon are both CUSTOMERS for Sony Semiconductors. If Nikon is continuing using Sony sensors (and the D850 it appears is from TowerJazz and the Nikon 1 sensors were mostly Nikon in-house designs) then Sony Semiconductors isn't going to p*** off its biggest large format customer - Nikon still have a bigger market share than Sony Imaging.

(Oh and in terms of engines - which is the only thing Force India buy - Mercedes recognise its better to sell them the current spec engine rather than an old design)
Sony semi conductor and Sony imaging both start with Sony ;)

Sony aren’t competing in the dslr market, so they may as well sell give free reign to Nikon. Nowt to lose. Sony are a one horse race in the ff mirrorless market so may be more reluctant to sell their best sensor tech to emerging competition.

Sony semi conductor and Sony imaging both start with Sony ;)
But they are separate companies and Sony Semi-conductor's responsibility is to get the most customers - which is why they sell sensors to Samsung for their phones as well as using them in their own phones. And equally why Samsung buy sensors from Sony as well as using sensors manufactured by Samsung!

sorry this is not true, large format film cameras get really thin dof in perfect focus. you can enlarge bigger without image "breaking down" but not on a runner for example:confused::D but that's taking the thread off course so will leave it there.

But they are separate companies and Sony Semi-conductor's responsibility is to get the most customers - which is why they sell sensors to Samsung for their phones as well as using them in their own phones. And equally why Samsung buy sensors from Sony as well as using sensors manufactured by Samsung!
This is true however Sony Digital Imaging do get exclusivity in some area's of the sensors that Sony Semi Conductors produce.
For example the 24mp sensor in the Sony A6500 was exclusive to Sony for around 6 months before the order books were opened up for Fuji etc.
Sony know what they are doing, if Sony wants certain sensors to go to certain in-house bodies they will make it so... for example the Sony A9 sensor is a pretty expensive piece of kit, the cost alone would put of other manufacturers.

sorry this is not true, large format film cameras get really thin dof in perfect focus. you can enlarge bigger without image "breaking down" but not on a runner for example:confused::D but that's taking the thread off course so will leave it there.

I'm sure you can get in focus shots with large format but that wasn't your point or mine.

You claimed that with practice good results can be had when focusing and recomposing. I question that. I agree that it's possible in some situations such as when shooting with wider lenses at smaller apertures (I do that) but I question if it's possible with longer lenses and wider apertures when looking closely at the results.

Dunno how long you've been taking pictures, I've only been at it 47 years but in that short time I've never seen the accuracy that we have today when shooting at wide apertures. With todays cameras and especially when manually focusing on the subject with the magnified view very good accuracy is possible and I just do not believe that accuracy can be anywhere near matched by anyone focusing and recomposing. Focus and recompose with a longer than 35mm lens at f1.4 or anything like it on a relatively close subject and a small print may look lovely but look closely and I bet the plane of focus isn't where you thought it would be :D

This is true however Sony Digital Imaging do get exclusivity in some area's of the sensors that Sony Semi Conductors produce.
For example the 24mp sensor in the Sony A6500 was exclusive to Sony for around 6 months before the order books were opened up for Fuji etc.
Sony know what they are doing, if Sony wants certain sensors to go to certain in-house bodies they will make it so... for example the Sony A9 sensor is a pretty expensive piece of kit, the cost alone would put of other manufacturers.
yup exactly and it goes to the same analogy of F1 teams supplying engines.

But it’s still Sony controlled by one HQ and like the dslr market Sony don’t have a relevant foothold in the phone market. But they ‘own’ the mirrorless market so it will be interesting to see if they are willing to share that tech.

Last edited:
But it’s still Sony and like the dslr market Sony don’t have a relevant foothold in the phone market. But they ‘own’ the mirrorless market so it will be interesting to see if they are willing to give up that tech.
But thats the point ... Sony Semiconductors (and the shareholders and management above) don't care if they sell 1,000,000 sensors to Sony Imaging and another 1,000,000 sensors to Nikon rather than 1,500,000 to Sony Imaging; they do care if they sell 1,000,000 to Sony and TowerJazz sell 1,000,000 to Nikon.

You're still thinking dSLR vs Mirrorless as two separate markets... they aren't.

Last edited:
But thats the point ... Sony Semiconductors (and the shareholders and management above) don't care if they sell 1,000,000 sensors to Sony Imaging and another 1,000,000 sensors to Nikon rather than 1,500,000 to Sony Imaging; they do care if they sell 1,000,000 to Sony and TowerJazz sell 1,000,000 to Nikon.

You're still thinking dSLR vs Mirrorless as two separate markets... they aren't.
And your still thinking they are separate companies. They aren’t. They are different divisions of one company... Sony. Fuji is a different company to Sony.

If it’s not in the interests of Sony to sell sensors to Nikon, they won’t. They will consider the bigger picture of selling far more cameras in the mirrorless market. Idealy (for) Sony it will sell all it’s sensors to itself and continue to dominate the mirrorless market.

I do think dslr and mirrorless are two different markets yes, of course they are.

Last edited:
And your still thinking they are separate companies. They aren’t. They are different divisions of one company... Sony. Fuji is a different company to Sony.
Legally they ARE separate companies. They are aren't just different divisions - they may share a common owner but they are separate legally.

You said “if it’s not in the interests of Sony to sell to Nikon they won’t” but conversely when it IS in the interests of Sony Semiconductors to sell to Nikon, Sony Imaging won’t be able to stop them.

Last edited:
I do think dslr and mirrorless are two different markets yes, of course they are.

Interesting thread, and don't feel qualified to comment on the general subject at hand, but this statement is obviously wrong, for obvious reasons :-

Average Joe goes into a camera shop ... and sees a load of cameras. He doesn't necessarily care "how" any of them do what they do, he just cares about how good a picture they take, can you swap the lens, how much they are etc. and makes a buying decision.

What Average Joe, and most likely non-Average Joe, then doesn't do, is say "right, I've bought the mirrorless, now for the DSLR!", the same way almost no-one buys a Windows Laptop and a MacBook as a matter of course, or a condensing Tumble Dryer and a non-condensing Tumble Dryer etc.

Mirrorless and DSLR are absolutely the same market because only a tiny percentage of gear-heads would routinely buy both.

Last edited:

People are still shelling out big bucks for quality Zeiss MF glass to stick on their DSLR's....£3000+ for their Otis line.

People are still shelling out big bucks for quality Zeiss MF glass to stick on their DSLR's....£3000+ for their Otis line.
I guess that's because lens technology hasn't really moved on, yes we have auto-focus lenses now with different motors etc but the glass is still glass. :D
DSLR technology is pretty dated and matured to a point that Nikon & Canon have squeezed out all the big strides from it, the technological jumps in DSLR bodies from generation to generation are very small now.
Mirrorless has plenty of room for growth and technological leaps..... its where the future is and both Canon and Nikon now acknowledge that.

I can remember a time where forums used to be full of mirrorless bashing from hardcore DSLR users saying its never going to take off etc. Now the tables have turned.

I guess that's because lens technology hasn't really moved on, yes we have auto-focus lenses now with different motors etc but the glass is still glass. :D
DSLR technology is pretty dated and matured to a point that Nikon & Canon have squeezed out all the big strides from it, the technological jumps in DSLR bodies from generation to generation are very small now.
Mirrorless has plenty of room for growth and technological leaps..... its where the future is and both Canon and Nikon now acknowledge that.

I can remember a time where forums used to be full of mirrorless bashing from hardcore DSLR users saying its never going to take off etc. Now the tables have turned.

Now you get the select view bashing DSLR's :p

Not at all....... I may end up buying a Nikon ;)

I really think that one thing that Sony is missing is a good set of 1.8 primes. The 50mm is a bit meh and the 55mm is expensive.

If Sony had a nice set of more affordable 1.8 primes they would take even more of the market.

Nikon have the 20, 28, 35, 50, 85 g series which price wise I don't think Sony can match and that alone keeps a lot of people with Nikon.

I guess it helps that you can pick up Nikon lenses a lot cheaper used as they have been around longer!

I really think that one thing that Sony is missing is a good set of 1.8 primes. The 50mm is a bit meh and the 55mm is expensive.

If Sony had a nice set of more affordable 1.8 primes they would take even more of the market.

Nikon have the 20, 28, 35, 50, 85 g series which price wise I don't think Sony can match and that alone keeps a lot of people with Nikon.

I guess it helps that you can pick up Nikon lenses a lot cheaper used as they have been around longer!

I agree, Sony still has holes in its lens line-up however hopefully they'll address these eventually.
Keep things back on topic, if Nikon went all in with mirrorless and managed to better the Sony A9, this would be great.... :)

I agree, Sony still has holes in its lens line-up however hopefully they'll address these eventually.
Keep things back on topic, if Nikon went all in with mirrorless and managed to better the Sony A9, this would be great.... :)

Think my mate is bringing his A7iii with him next time I go to the badly lit indoor school. Be interesting to compare!

Back