Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Not in the least interested in this release and IMHO the new bodies are fugly! I am perfectly happy with my existing Nikon kit and if Nikon imagine I am interested in buying and sticking a big adaptor lump on in order to use my current Nikon glass, they are hugely mistaken! Good luck to those who want this kit and will buy it.

Yes I've heard of Ross, but I did ask several of my pro mates (inc. @MartinH32 ) and no-one could think who it was. There were several that came to mind who's work I follow, but obviously not him

He's defo not the UK's best known Wedding tog then is he lol

Dave

Really? He has won like the best wedding tog for like 3 years in a role.

He is a member here too, used to post.

Nothing per say but F mount development is going to slow and eventually die.

I currently have a Nikon fx cam and 4 decent lenses. Not a huge investment but I would see switching to Nikon Mirrorless as much as a system change as switching to Sony or Canon. I would need a new camera and new lenses.

The adaptor is a stop gap. We all know that. Having used adapted lenses before I personally don’t want to go that way. YMMV. Sadly F mount is now on its way out so at some point, perhaps 2020(+) when the Nikon lens line up can match what Sony has out in 2018, then it’s worth a change but I won’t confine myself to Nikon.

I agree. New lens mount etc. for me is seen as a system change imo. I'm very happy with the f-mount - people, sell your f-mount and I'll buy it all! :D

Price is great. Ergonomically it looks class. Build and size are perfect to win people over. Good reports on af and iq.

But one card slot?!? It's stillborn. People went bonkers about the a7iii not having a charger!

I simply wouldn't be comfortable shooting professionally with one card and that's the consensus of every pro I've spoken to. And I don't buy the 'prosumer' tag. In 2018 a £2k nikon is expected to have two slots.

Very disappointing but very much what I expect from nikon.

Really? He has won like the best wedding tog for like 3 years in a role.

He is a member here too, used to post.

Yes really - no point in lying was there :)

EDIT - I see he was voted those accolades by Pro Photo mag, I don't know anyone who buys it so I guess that's why my pals didn't know who it was

Dave

Last edited:
Just been reading more about the technical side of the Nikon Z7, and like the Sony A9.... some specifications are crippled when you dig further.

From DPReview......

AE lock meaning a drop to 5.5fps.. that is poor.
Pretty poor :( I just hope they sell enough to get by so that they can do a proper job next time. I feared that they were rushing this to get something on the market, and I think my fears have come true. It's not that this will be a bad camera, it's just that it sounds half baked compared to the current market.

Nikon's tech specs look a bit odd, 9fps low speed yet 5fps high speed. Surely 9fps is high speed and 5fps is low speed? :confused:

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 09.45.36.png

I still think lens prices will put people off initially. £850 for a prime lens is quite expensive!

Pretty poor :( I just hope they sell enough to get by so that they can do a proper job next time. I feared that they were rushing this to get something on the market, and I think my fears have come true. It's not that this will be a bad camera, it's just that it sounds half baked compared to the current market.

It was never going to be easy to beat the A7iii (especially with a Gen 1), Sony threw the kitchen sink at it in prep for Canikon, baby A9 for very little money. Its a nice camera for Nikon users that want a FF mirrorless and it works with existing lenses, Z6 kit is well priced, I think for most average people that want a decent zoom and prime setup (2-3 lens) it'll tick a lot of boxes.

Can someone decipher this for me from DPR please? What exactly do they mean by updating liveview between shots? Does this mean that you get to see what you're shooting, and if you don't have updated liveview between shots you just see nothing?

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 09.48.58.png

I still think lens prices will put people off initially. £850 for a prime lens is quite expensive!
I think it could be justifiable if it's a very good lens.

In the past f1.8 lenses have perhaps sometimes been the cheap option but these days we see f1.8's that are very good, that's not always been the case in the past and if this one is indeed very good it may well be worth it.

Seeing as the 'pro' zooms aren't available until next year it mat well be that the 'pro' body with all the features people want will come with them.

Mind you the lens road map is seriously lacking. No 28mm, no 100/105mm no 28-300mm. What are Nikon playing at? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It was never going to be easy to beat the A7iii (especially with a Gen 1), Sony threw the kitchen sink at it in prep for Canikon, baby A9 for very little money. Its a nice camera for Nikon users that want a FF mirrorless and it works with existing lenses, Z6 kit is well priced, I think for most average people that want a decent zoom and prime setup (2-3 lens) it'll tick a lot of boxes.
I didn't expect it to match sony mark iii's but it does fall a bit short of my expectations though (now there's a surprise ;)). Single card slot is a biggie, and realistically only 5.5fps. We still don't know what the AF system will be like, and as yet I've not read anything about weather sealing of either the body or lenses?

I think on the current market price it looks about right. The Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 is that much, but really I think a lot of people go for that is because the Sony 50/1.8 is a bit rubbish and the 50/1.4 ZA is double the cost. So wait for the 35/1.4 from Nikon at £2,000 and you’ll think this 35/1.8 to be a bargain.

Can someone decipher this for me from DPR please? What exactly do they mean by updating liveview between shots? Does this mean that you get to see what you're shooting, and if you don't have updated liveview between shots you just see nothing?

View attachment 132955

I think its the same kind of effect you get with the A7 III, the fastest 10 fps just gives you the normal EVF blackout, the slower fps (8fps) gives you the last image you shot during each shot (I think).

So no group AF and no 3D tracking. Not sure whether there's just one dynamic area AF or whether it allows you to select 9, 25, 72 point etc.

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 09.58.44.png

I'd pay £800 for a 1.8 lens if it was good. Like the batis lenses are worth their price. I'd kill for a sony 1.8 35 that was up to the 55 and 85 standard.

Sony could cripple this camera in one foul swoop if they wanted, just stop making XQD cards :eek:

(obviously I don't think they will as it's revenue for them, but just imagine :eek: ;))

View attachment 132955

Think of it as the A7iii, 8fps vs 10fps, you understand that right? Thats what Im thinking it is.

Sony could cripple this camera in one foul swoop if they wanted, just stop making XQD cards :eek:

(obviously I don't think they will as it's revenue for them, but just imagine :eek: ;))
And then buy out Nikon :D lol

Reactions: LC2
By that time the A9mk2 will be out and do 24fps uncompressed with a global shutter and about 10 new lenses to its lineup
I don't get the whole chasing numbers about frame rate tbh, 9 on my D850 is more than enough, for pros shooting sports with their 12 and 14 fps it's more than enough, do we actually need more? Global shutter will be a biggie though, now that would be a game changer ;)

Think of it as the A7iii, 8fps vs 10fps, you understand that right? Thats what Im thinking it is.
Never quite got my noodle around it tbh. I think without live view you're seeing the frame behind time (maybe a second or so) but with live view you're seeing it in real time? I couldn't pan seeing a 1 or 2s delay tbh.

I think on the current market price it looks about right. The Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 is that much, but really I think a lot of people go for that is because the Sony 50/1.8 is a bit rubbish and the 50/1.4 ZA is double the cost. So wait for the 35/1.4 from Nikon at £2,000 and you’ll think this 35/1.8 to be a bargain.

No, the Sony Zeiss is £730. Thats a chunk less.

Back