Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

But how long ago is it that dual card slots first appeared on a dslr? I've only ever owned one camera with dual card slots and I've never used one of the slots. Maybe I've been lucky.....

I just think that sometimes camera manufacturers are on a hiding to nothing. Once a feature is introduced - sometimes to users' surprise - it becomes a must-have and if they produce something without it there are howls of derision. It may be a valid criticism in this case but have a sense of proportion, folks........

My D700 was the last body I used without it. Our D3, D3s, D4, D610, D800, D810, D750, XT2 and now A7III bodies all have two card slots.

Not only does this make me nervy (I've had card failures before but had backup cards in body), replacing all my SD cards with XQD, at present, will cost over £3000 (£3600 if I replace every single one). No matter how good this camera is, it isn't worth the anxiety of single card shooting.

giphy.gif

:D That was pretty much me this morning. Went and farted about with some Sony stuff earlier, feel a bit dirty now though.

Pretty much ruined my whole day, had an email conversation with WEX earlier after me telling them 4/5 times that I wasn't interested in attending there workshop I then realised that they didn't want me to attend they wanted to book us to teach the workshop. I blame Nikon!

Last edited:

Of all the things that can go wrong, even on the most important shoot, the best prepared and never to be repeated shoot, card failure is way down the list.

Dual card slots just play to our marketing-induced paranoia. I don't have dual card slots, and like some other posters on here, if I did have I probably wouldn't use them both. Never had a card failure, but if I did, I'd notice it immediately (almost ;)) and either swap the card or grab the back-up camera.

Sure, dual card slots are a nice idea, but not a deal-breaker. Nikon will have done their homework here - they have plenty of experience of XQD hate and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

ps As I speculated earlier, my guess is that XQD (Sony's baby) was part of the sensor deal with Sony.

It's a deal-breaker for me. Decent battery and Duel cards are really important. The Z cameras are a disappointment in regard to both.

It's a real shame because it otherwise seems a great camera body.

Reactions: TG.
Deal breaker for me too this I was planning on buying 2 of both but will have to look at other options now as I mentioned earlier in the thread I average at least one card failure a year. Others mileage may vary I guess a lot depends on how many frames you shoot.

Sure, dual card slots are a nice idea, but not a deal-breaker.

For you. ;)

Nikon will have done their homework here - they have plenty of experience of XQD hate and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.
Do you think one card slot will gained or lost them potential sales? :thinking:

You would hope that they have done their homework. ;)They must think they won't lose enough sales versus the cost of implementing a second card slot. Only they may find that out over time. :rolleyes:

That is if they were able to put dual cards in anyway of course. ;) I think looking at the design and the placement of the card relative to the battery, they would have to fit one card above the other rather than side by side to make it fit.

I think, I'll take a deep breath and wait until it's out in the wild, before passing judgement.

The one positive, I haven't seen mentioned much, is the weather sealing. If it's as good as the D850, then that will certainly be, a big plus.

Just wonder now, if Sony are getting geared up, to release their answer to all this. I'm sure they've been prepared for Nikon and Canon to come after them.

I think, I'll take a deep breath and wait until it's out in the wild, before passing judgement.

The one positive, I haven't seen mentioned much, is the weather sealing. If it's as good as the D850, then that will certainly be, a big plus.

Just wonder now, if Sony are getting geared up, to release their answer to all this. I'm sure they've been prepared for Nikon and Canon to come after them.
Mention the weather sealing and you have Sony users appearing to tell everyone that weather sealing is not a problem. For them at least, up to bow. ;) :LOL:

Not sure Sony will be thinking too much on how to beat these two cameras, because ergonomics aside, they have them pretty much beaten with this generation, and they will probably have the IV versions out before Nikon may get another camera out. Video seems to be where the Nikon's have pulled a touch ahead, and the EVF and LCD are said to be very good on the Nikon's. Fix them, update 4k to 60fps or 120fps and maybe internal Timelapse. Make the 2nd SD card UH-S II like the primary slot and you may have the Z6II and Z7II beat. ;) :LOL:

The Nikon brand is what they had to beat imho, and Nikon have given they a few years to get a head start. Going to be interesting to see how Nikon entering mirrorless FF alters the market. :thinking:

Of all the things that can go wrong, even on the most important shoot, the best prepared and never to be repeated shoot, card failure is way down the list.

Dual card slots just play to our marketing-induced paranoia. I don't have dual card slots, and like some other posters on here, if I did have I probably wouldn't use them both. Never had a card failure, but if I did, I'd notice it immediately (almost ;)) and either swap the card or grab the back-up camera.

Sure, dual card slots are a nice idea, but not a deal-breaker. Nikon will have done their homework here - they have plenty of experience of XQD hate and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

ps As I speculated earlier, my guess is that XQD (Sony's baby) was part of the sensor deal with Sony.

I wish you the best of luck at your next job.

(If the card fails and you your all the images, it may be your last)

I use the front buttons all the time on my D850 for different AF options :)
interesting, how does this work?

I use a front Fn button to switch on the level indicator in the viewfinder. :) Better to have more than you need than not. ;)
That’s all I tend to use them for, but not very often.
So you like nikon colours better?

When people slate the sony colours they slate it against canon not nikon as even nikon users wished the colour were as good as canon.

Canon in other words is class leading
Not for me, the D750 and D850 have more true to life colours and I prefer this over Canon’s. I don’t think I’m the only one tbh.

Looking at that video, and the close ups of the body, I don't think Nikon could fit another card below the one they have. Maybe they just didn't have the space. :confused:

But it’s a new body designed from scratch, there is no rule how big a mirrorless body has to be.

I wish you the best of luck at your next job.

(If the card fails and you your all the images, it may be your last)

If 1 card slot fails what to say both card slots won't fail?

Maybe we would feel safer with 3 slots, or why not 4?

Why are you shooting digital? If film worked all these years, how come you don’t shoot film?

On occasion i do :)

What if you break your camera? That's why a lot of Pro's have two. You can't eliminate all risks, but you can lessen the odds. ;)

Yes, that's why i take 3 of my mates with me on a shoot, just in case i fall over and injure myself, from carrying the 6 camera's i have with me in case they fail too ;)

Last edited:
But it’s a new body designed from scratch, there is no rule how big a mirrorless body has to be.
Exactly, so they seem to have chosen a design and size, which to me, looks like it is not big enough to house two XQD cards, or even a XQD and SD slot. :thinking: Anyone holding out a slither of hope that the next versions may add an extra slot may have disappointment ahead of them. Imho. ;)

If 1 card slot fails what to say both card slots won't fail?

Maybe we would feel safer with 3 slots, or why not 4?

It’s about managing and mitigating avoidable risk.

The chances of one card failing are slim but it happens. For something like a wedding it’s not going to end well.

The chances of two cards failing is very, very rare.

It’s the same reason most have at least two cameras and redundancy across focal lengths.

Exactly, so they seem to have chosen a design and size, which to me, looks like it is not big enough to house two XQD cards, or even a XQD and SD slot. :thinking: Anyone holding out a slither of hope that the next versions may add an extra slot may have disappointment ahead of them. Imho. ;)

Hence all the head scratching why they omitted it. At the design stage this would be obvious it aren’t going to happen and they chose to go ahead and finalise it.

Last edited:
So after having time to ‘digest’ these new cameras I’m plagued by another question, and it kinda questions Nikon’s attitude. What worries me with Nikon is that they seem happy to release these cameras. Surely they know they’re under par so rather than rushing why not wait until they’ve cracked it? Why should early adopters be beta testers for them? Obviously the next gen cameras will be better, maybe even on par with the current market, why not wait until then?

I think Sony got away with it as they were the first on the market and were seen as innovators. But I can’t help think their’s a bit of arrogance from Nikon thinking it’s ok we can release something below par and people will still buy it.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, maybe it’s the best they can do, but then I still wish they’d waited until they could do better. It’s a shame as they’ve been doing well over the past few years, with the D850 arguably being the pinnacle.

Fingers crossed it does OK so there will be an A6ii and A7ii.

Hope your friends are happy that they are there just in case of an emergency and not necessarily for their company. ;) :LOL:

Yeah they seem fine with it, as do all the friends they bring along with them to, just in case they have any mishaps :D

So after having time to ‘digest’ these new cameras I’m plagued by another question, and it kinda questions Nikon’s attitude. What worries me with Nikon is that they seem happy to release these cameras. Surely they know they’re under par so rather than rushing why not wait until they’ve cracked it? Why should early adopters be beta testers for them? Obviously the next gen cameras will be better, maybe even on par with the current market, why not wait until then?

I think Sony got away with it as they were the first on the market and were seen as innovators. But I can’t help think their’s a bit of arrogance from Nikon thinking it’s ok we can release something below par and people will still buy it.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, maybe it’s the best they can do, but then I still wish they’d waited until they could do better. It’s a shame as they’ve been doing well over the past few years, with the D850 arguably being the pinnacle.

Fingers crossed it does OK so there will be an A6ii and A7ii.

If they bring out mk2 in like a year then this will be forgotten but being Nikon...it’s about 3-4 years at least until the next one. A75 might be out at that point!

Well, a lot of posts overnight! :) One card slot doesn't bother me, I've never had an sd card fail in my D750 and only cheap CF cards on reformatting in camera; quality CF never. Anticipated price for a Z6 is $2600 Cdn. Could be feasible in a year or two. One would hope that eye-AF shows up in a firmware update.

How long do you wait! This may be the best they can do at the moment. If they think these cameras are good enough, then they go. In some places they are not as good as the Sony's, but do you wait for their next generation seeing how fast they innovate?

Whenever they enter the new lenses have to follow from that point, you can only pre-produce and stockpile so many lenses in advance and not hurt their core, atm, DSLR users, so best to get the lens roadmap going. These are going to sell because they are Nikon's. People on sites like this may nitpick, but even Nikon users here are going to live with any deficiencies, if they admit to any, because they are Nikon's, so users in the real world will buy. If they are not tied to a system in any way though, and they ignore brands, which will be more attractive a7III or Z6, a7RIII or Z7? :thinking:

Back