Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Having said that Sony lenses are generally more expensive than DSLR equivalents. But this may not but be unique to Sony anymore looking at Nikons mirrorless lens prices.

The prices are largely inline with one another, sometimes more, sometimes less, it's basically a wash if you're buying new.

The real difference is in the used prices, due to years of Nikon and Canon lens sales you can always find a used copy and usually a good saving which isn't really the case with Sony (yet).

So you can't compare it to Nikon then..... Because the Nikon is f4.
He was comparing it to the 17-35mm f2.8 and 24-120mm f4, but the point I was trying to make is that you’re not comparing like for like in terms of price, or in the case of the 24-120mm the lens type. I would expect the Sony 16-35mm f2.8 GM to be sharp across the frame, in fact for £2299 I’d want it to make me a cup of coffee in a morning too ;) The other point I made is that the 17-35mm is overpriced imo, and I wouldn’t expect it to be as good as the Sony as it’s an old lens now.

He was comparing it to the 17-35mm f2.8 and 24-120mm f4, but the point I was trying to make is that you’re not comparing like for like in terms of price, or in the case of the 24-120mm the lens type. I would expect the Sony 16-35mm f2.8 GM to be sharp across the frame, in fact for £2299 I’d want it to make me a cup of coffee in a morning too ;) The other point I made is that the 17-35mm is overpriced imo, and I wouldn’t expect it to be as good as the Sony as it’s an old lens now.

I just saw the price bit and you guys comparing that so thought we could add some balance.

But isn't the Sony 16-35mm £2299 which is a lot more than the comparative Nikon lenses. I do think the 17-35mm f2.8 is overpriced though, especially considering it's one of their older D lenses which will have the old coatings etc.

I can't buy the 16-35 GM quality at any price from Nikon.

The supposed to be stellar 14-24 is not a bad lens but no match for the GM from my experience and I can't even use reasonable filters with it or shoot into the rising sun without masive flare from its bulbous front element.

I have wasted many hundreds of pounds on 2 Nikon 16-35 F4s on selling both to MPB as I would not have even tried to sell them to someone on here along with the £350 repair bill from Fixation.

I have also wasted many hours sorting it all out - rather than enjoying my time with the camera / lenses.

There is more to the cost of something than pounds and pennies.

I paid just over £1800 from Panamoz and it was worth every bloody penny :)

Last edited:
Rather than 'shilling', (not exactly sure what you mean by that:thinking: :LOL:) maybe a love/disappointment relationship. ;) :LOL:

A shill is someone who whores products for companies, never has a bad word to say because they're pockets are stuffed with cash to stay positive [their reviews cannot be trusted]. I was joking that he swings hard between both

I'm pretty sure Thom Hogan will get either get one or both of the Z cameras, but this doesn't sound like a Nikon fanboy to me, ;):LOL:
Tbh I don’t mind reading or listening to reviews etc from most of these guys tbh, there’s often some useful stuff and I can see through the crap and bias that might creep in. I don’t even mind listening to the angry tog now and again for a bit of a laugh. However, one guy that I really don’t like to listen to is that Jason Lanier bloke. I really don’t like his ‘dramatic style’ and those videos he made against the angry tog were just full on cringe.

Tbh I don’t mind reading or listening to reviews etc from most of these guys tbh, there’s often some useful stuff and I can see through the crap and bias that might creep in. I don’t even mind listening to the angry tog now and again for a bit of a laugh. However, one guy that I really don’t like to listen to is that Jason Lanier bloke. I really don’t like his ‘dramatic style’ and those videos he made against the angry tog were just full on cringe.

Can't stomach him either, there was always something creepy about him to me. When he made his big 'I'm switching to Sony from Nikon' announcement video I had a right little argie with him in the comments lol, he came across as such a dick, and never let up after. I didn't know who he was at the time, and already hated the sight of him. He was dropped like a hot snot from Sony a while back wasn't he? They didn't like the weird public arguments he was getting into [inc the one with Ken Wheeler, something about him refusing to refund an ill customer or whatever] - He was also creepy AF with his models, even beyond Matt Granger levels! :O

I found another weird censor on here, dick is fine, but dickhe*d is not :thinking:

Last edited:
Can't stomach him either, there was always something creepy about him to me. When he made his big 'I'm switching to Sony from Nikon' announcement video I had a right little argie with him in the comments lol, he came across as such a dick, and never let up after. I didn't know who he was at the time, and already hated the sight of him. He was dropped like a hot snot from Sony a while back wasn't he? They didn't like the weird public arguments he was getting into [inc the one with Ken Wheeler, something about him refusing to refund an ill customer or whatever] - He was also creepy AF with his models, even beyond Matt Granger levels! :O

I found another weird censor on here, dick is fine, but dickhe*d is not :thinking:
Dunno about being dropped tbh, but yeah I agree there’s something a bit ‘odd’ about him. You never know though, in person he might be the nicest guy in the world ;)

I not sure that I agree with "overly expensive Alpha cameras" unless whoever wrote this is one of those who think that Sony make DVD players you can buy for £60 so their cameras should cost the same.

Read the comments and it kind of makes sense.
The angry photographer needs to chill out.

Is he wrong? He tends to scream louder when he knows he's right

On the other hand, that comment section alone makes us all here look very civilized ... ok, ok, kind of civilized :D

Last edited:
There's a Nikon day at Harrisons next week, wonder if they'll have the Zeds?

I will find out ;) However I doubt both the Nikon Z or Canon's R would sway me from Sony.
I’ve queried it on their FB Page. I won’t be buying one, but would be cool to have a play ;)

Is he wrong? He tends to scream louder when he knows he's right

On the other hand, that comment section alone makes us all here look very civilized ... ok, ok, kind of civilized :D
Wrong or right, he comes across as a first class ####. Lanier shouldn't have got caught up in the feud with him.
At the end of the day, they are both watched by thousands of YouTubers and should have not got into a public and messy feud online. Its affected both of their reputations / businesses and I can see why Lanier reacted the way he did.

Wrong or right, he comes across as a first class ####. Lanier shouldn't have got caught up in the feud with him.
At the end of the day, they are both watched by thousands of YouTubers and should have not got into a public and messy feud online. Its affected both of their reputations / businesses and I can see why Lanier reacted the way he did.
He’s a wind up merchant for sure, and says a lot of things he shouldn’t. I can understand Lanier being extremely upset by it but the way he went about it was just pathetic imo. Just get your lawyers onto it behind closed doors and leave it at that.

I’ve queried it on their FB Page. I won’t be buying one, but would be cool to have a play ;)
Update ....

Harrisons have 2 Nikon days coming up on the 12th and 22nd, they are hoping the Z-system will be at both but they have asked for confirmation. Will let you know if I hear anything.

Update ....

Harrisons have 2 Nikon days coming up on the 12th and 22nd, they are hoping the Z-system will be at both but they have asked for confirmation. Will let you know if I hear anything.
Thanks. Are you affiliated with them somehow, or are you just a VIP customer because of the all the Sony gear you buy? ;)

There's a Nikon day at Harrisons next week, wonder if they'll have the Zeds?

I went to my local Calumet and had a play with a Z7 this morning. It handles very well, seems well built and to be honest just felt better to use than the Sony's probably because I am so familiar with Nikon, it was certainly a lot more comfortable to hold and use. If it had of had 2 card slots I definitely would have bought 2 Z6's. Only had in hand for a few minutes but the auto focus seemed pretty much bang on and I didn't see any hunting or missed focus even when using the adaptor with F mount lenses.Would have liked to have had a bit longer with it but there was a bit of a queue of people waiting to play with it.

Back