Nikon Or Zeiss?

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Looking for a little bit of advice from those in the know. I currently have a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G ED lens which I am considering selling. Looking to replace this with the Carl zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZF t* Distagon.

Do you think this is a move in the right direction?

The Nikon 20mm 1.8G is a belter by all accounts. But it doesn't have the zeiss build and feel if that is important to you.

Hi Gavin I have the Zeiss 21 2.8 in Canon mount. Please note that it is manual focus only so autofocus is something you would lose compared to the Nikon zoom. Also it depends what you want to use it for; the Nikon being a zoom will be more versatile. The Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G ED actually has quite a good reputation so why are you looking to move away from it?

Hi guys. Thanks for the response. I find I very seldom use the Nikon at 14mm. Widest is probably 18mm.
I'm looking to the zeiss to make me work harder to find compositions rather than zoom in or out. Also manual focus to slow my work flow in the field down.
I will be using the zeiss for landscape work only.

I know I've said this a thousand times but IMO mirrorless is the way to go for manual focus. Manual focusing through the OVF with DSLR's for anything other than macro/close up when the subject and detail is BIG in the OVF is IMO a right royal PITA, ditto back screen shooting and not bothering and using hyperfocal or zone techniques is IMO limiting.

Buy manual lenses by all means but buy a camera that makes them a joy to use not a PITA.

All IMHO of course.

Hi guys. Thanks for the response. I find I very seldom use the Nikon at 14mm. Widest is probably 18mm.
I'm looking to the zeiss to make me work harder to find compositions rather than zoom in or out. Also manual focus to slow my work flow in the field down.
I will be using the zeiss for landscape work only.

That doesn't sound like a great reason to buy a lens. It really doesn't. If you had problems with IQ (there should be none really), needed filter thread or something like that I would understand.

It would also mean I can ditch my current awkward and heavy filter system.

Well you could ditch your heavy filter system any way ?
and nothing to stop you using 14-24mm as a fixed prime I used to have one and couldn't fault the image quality from it and you have the advantage that if you do need that extra width one day, you will have it at hand .
And you can always take it off AF and manually focus the lens.
With no financial loss or expense

I'm looking to the zeiss to make me work harder to find compositions rather than zoom in or out.
This is backwards IMO. First you find the composition/perspective you want, and then you select the FL that allows you to capture it.
The whole "zoom with your feet" idea for composition with a prime lens is crap...

I have the Zeiss and it is a great lens (even though I hardly ever use it), but is there really much between the 14-24 and 21 at 21mm? I remember reading a review a while back that suggested there wasn't. Also, as mentioned above, you can use the 14-24 as a fixed focal length manual lens anyway and you have a filter kit for it. If it was me I would probably stick with the 14-24.

I have the Zeiss and it is a great lens (even though I hardly ever use it), but is there really much between the 14-24 and 21 at 21mm? I remember reading a review a while back that suggested there wasn't. Also, as mentioned above, you can use the 14-24 as a fixed focal length manual lens anyway and you have a filter kit for it. If it was me I would probably stick with the 14-24.

How do you find the distortion? Colour rendition? Contrast difference between the lenses?
Edge to edge sharpness?

This is backwards IMO. First you find the composition/perspective you want, and then you select the FL that allows you to capture it.
The whole "zoom with your feet" idea for composition with a prime lens is crap...
People seem to forget perspective.

Last edited:
How do you find the distortion? Colour rendition? Contrast difference between the lenses?
Edge to edge sharpness?
I have not used the 14-24 but the sharpness and colour rendition of the lens I personally find to be excellent on a d800. The first copy I got was, however, terrible, really mushy in the corners. This would in turn be another reason, personally, why I would stick with what I know if what I have works. Distortion I honestly can't say, I will have to look out some old photos and let you know. The best thing about the lens it is the construction and cooler-ish colour rendition really. The 14-24 seems to be a great lens, so personally if I had it i would probably just keep that provided, as you do, I had a filter system that worked.

Back