Nikon Reverse Ring

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm a novice at photography,and I need some help,reguarding a Nikon 52 mm Reverse Ring for Macro Photography.I have a D3200 Nikon Camera,I put on my Reverse ring ,I should say I first in Manual /Mode ,set my Exposure toF/8
ISO 200, Shutter/Speed 3 seconds,I now put on my Nikon 40mm 1:3.8G lens reversed, On live view ,the F/stops show as F- -,I know there is no communication,as lens is reversed,but on live view ,it's nearly completely dark ,for to try and Frame/Focus.I was watching a YouTube Video,and he was able to still adjust his F:confused:tops ,with lens reversed,(Nikon D7000 ) ,how was he able to activate his F/Stops ?Is there a shortcut ,that I can use on my D3200,to reactivitate my F Exposure?Could someone help me on this matter,it had me confused.

Paul

Unfortunately a G lens has no manual aperture ring as on older lenses, so the only way to set aperture on a reversed G lens is to jam the aperture tab open somehow. How much would be trial and error as you have no indication of aperture setting.

The alternative is to get a cheap lens with manual aperture. Most older lenses do, and it does not have to be Nikon fit if you're only using it for reversing.

Last edited:
I have to credit GardenersHelper with this little nugget of advice, off a topic I posted recently:

"To set the aperture for reversed working (on a Canon dSLR), turn the camera on with the lens the right way round. Set the aperture you want to use. Hold down the Depth of field button (that will close the aperture down to the aperture you set). While still holding the Depth of field button, detach the lens and mount it reversed. If you want to change the aperture - you'll need to do it all again."

I'm sure the Nikon will have a similar DoF button... if not you should be able to set it up as a custom function - you'll need to consult your manual for this though.

I have to credit GardenersHelper with this little nugget of advice, off a topic I posted recently:

"To set the aperture for reversed working (on a Canon dSLR), turn the camera on with the lens the right way round. Set the aperture you want to use. Hold down the Depth of field button (that will close the aperture down to the aperture you set). While still holding the Depth of field button, detach the lens and mount it reversed. If you want to change the aperture - you'll need to do it all again."

I'm sure the Nikon will have a similar DoF button... if not you should be able to set it up as a custom function - you'll need to consult your manual for this though.
This is not possible with the D3200, it's a high end cheap starter camera but in all fairness it's good but it's not possible to customise buttons and it's not like a Canon. You could try a bright torch [emoji363] to see if that helps, if not, pick up a very cheap lens with a aperture ring, like said above, it does not have to be a nikon.
Good luck and look forward to seeing your results.

Back