Nikon rubber on camera bodies

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
What is wrong with the material Nikon use for rubber body grip parts. Just had to order a new part as this is happening to the D810 memory card slot cover rubber

3gV0eyj.jpg

you can see in the picture the rubber compound has started to come away

I had to same thing happen on my D300 when the from part under the red strip came away. The replacement section is fine for the d300. The sweat/heat from the hand seems to penetrate through the material to the resin causing the resin to loose its stickiness. That compound rubber also tends to swell up making it useless to refix.

Strange thing is on the D800 this part is just all plastic no rubber used at all, far better in my opinion

Last edited:
now ready for new part to arrive, bit of a job removing remaining resin but now clean enough

bHAy5em.jpg

The rubber was starting to peel off of my D800 when I sold it too, also happened to my Fuji XT1 - I contacted Fuji Ireland at the time on that and they send me out a full set of replacements grips for free [camera was already 2 years old bought used, they never questioned that]. Took about 20 mins max from peeling off the old, cleaning the body with some alcohol wipes and adding the new grips. Not so sure Nikon would be as generous but you can probably seek out and buy a full set

So common on Nikon bodies ,had to do a few in the past

What is wrong with the material Nikon use for rubber body grip parts. Just had to order a new part as this is happening to the D810 memory card slot cover rubber

3gV0eyj.jpg

you can see in the picture the rubber compound has started to come away

I had to same thing happen on my D300 when the from part under the red strip came away. The replacement section is fine for the d300. The sweat/heat from the hand seems to penetrate through the material to the resin causing the resin to loose its stickiness. That compound rubber also tends to swell up making it useless to refix.

Strange thing is on the D800 this part is just all plastic no rubber used at all, far better in my opinion
No rubber peeling on either my D800 (bought in 2013) or my D810 (bought in 2015). That said, even my F5 hasn't had any issues either and that harks back to the late 90's. I do give the grips on all the cameras a clean every couple of months, which may make a difference.

That said I notice your D810 has a little piece of plastic body missing at the base of the door, which also happened to mine.

well the new part has arrived and fitted. WhatIi would stress is to make absolutely sure the remaining resin is completely removed. The more time spent ensuring it is completely clean is essential. the new section came with a far better double sided gummed strip. So I first put that onto the plastic then laid the new rubber on that. This way ensured to location hole and lugs lined up. getting it in the right position has to be first time you don't get a second chance.
So here with the new part fitted
M3560002a.jpg

for anyone interested I got it from " https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183844660789 ". cost a little more but from UK supplier 2 days after order placed ,so well happy with that

Last edited:
It is a common problem with nikon cameras,

Ok - I'm not arguing

Just saying its never been an issue with any of mine, nor it seems from my closest two Nikon using mates and between us we've had every Nikon DSLR (except the D810) made since the D100

Maybe Wedding Pros are kinder to their gear, or we're just not sweaty as toohuge suggests lol

Dave

Ok - I'm not arguing

Just saying its never been an issue with any of mine, nor it seems from my closest two Nikon using mates and between us we've had every Nikon DSLR (except the D810) made since the D100

Maybe Wedding Pros are kinder to their gear, or we're just not sweaty as toohuge suggests lol

Dave

Manlier sweat! :D

It happened to my old D90 too, but not to the D200 I owned. It was a common problem a few years back, when it happened my D800 I posted on here, and a few others had same issue.

Nikon hasn't had a great record with camera rubber over the years. The coating on the back of the F90 very commonly self-destructed. My old D70 went sticky after a period in storage, and my F100 and F80 have a touch of this problem, which is often reported in cameras of that era. My D300 has fared better (so far) though the grip tends to whiten (cured with a Zeiss wipe). No problem with the D800, which is just as well because (unlike the D810) it needs major disassembly to change the integrated covering of the main grip. My F5 covering is doing OK - it's a little loose in one section, but not sticky. My Leicas laugh at this sort of problem - I have a IIIa from the 1930s that still has the original vulcanised rubber covering, which is absolutely fine, as is whatever plastic they were using on the M6 in the 90s.

Nikon hasn't had a great record with camera rubber over the years. The coating on the back of the F90 very commonly self-destructed. My old D70 went sticky after a period in storage, and my F100 and F80 have a touch of this problem, which is often reported in cameras of that era.
So there you go, from too sticky to not sticky enough... some people are just never satisfied! ;)

Same problem on D850. Temporary repair with good quality gaffer tape lasts for a few months and then I replace. Great cameras, crappy rubber.

I have had several Nikon bodies. Never had a problem. But I do seem to remember a mate of mine did. I think suntan lotion on his hands were main suspect.

Just better hope that Nikon never diversify to the condom manufacturing industry

Rubber peeling has been a common aspect, not necessarily a problem, on Nikon since the days of the F5 - a drop of glue soon puts the old rubber back in place! I have a brand new F5 full grip here, unused, because I just glued the old one back in place! Interestingly, the older cameras didn't suffer from it, so I would say it was a change of glue, perhaps to do with HSE b****x, like changing from solvent paint to water paint in the auto industry?

Common on Nikon bodies ??? What are you guys doing with them ??? :D

I've never had an issue like this with any of mine

It's fairly common, I've had it happen on my not especially heavily used D810 and there's plenty of reports of the same thing happening if you Google it.

I assumed they just used cheap/wrong glue for the job, it's not a big deal but seems daft that such a good set of cameras have such a silly issue.

I've just (super-)glued a rubber grip panel back down on my Canon 7D2...so not just a Nikon issue.
@Lensflare - I think this is correct....same thing happened in the electronics industry years ago, with the move from lead solder to lead free, which caused all those RRoD/YLoD heat cycling issues in the XBox/PlayStation world.
I guess one dumb kid licked his XBox PCB, and now everything lasts half as long!

Back