Nikon SLR help

tjs

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, just wondering if you film heads could help me make my mind up over which body/lens to go for. I'm selling my 450d and completely moving to film photography, and although my OM10 does a job, I want to use the majority of the money it will bring in (£350) on a SLR + lens.

I'm pretty set on a Nikon, and so far I've narrowed it down to either a F3 or a FM2, I think. I understand the FM2 is easier to repair, if anything happens, and is also entirely mechanical. Whereas the F3 isn't and that's were the Fm2 has a slight advantage? Also, with the F3, I can't help but think the lack of a dedicated hot shoe could hinder me in the future. I know there are adapters, but I think thats another +1 for the FM2.

I could also do with some help RE the lens, I barely use my 50mm on my OM10, and almost always use my 28mm instead so I'm set on getting one of those or wider (24mm?), but could just do with some basic help on which to get etc. I made the mistake of buying the f3.5 28mm for my OM10 and I'd like to avoid doing that again!

Last edited:
if you go for the fm , try to get an fm2n ,,,( you can tell its a 2n because the flash sync is 250th sec )

I thought I wanted an F3 or similar and after talking to a couple of shops etc I ended up with an F4 which I love using, it'll take old and new lenses as well as flashes etc. I like having the option to use the camera meter and A mode etc.

Well I have both F3 and FM2n

The FM2n is full mechanical and you only need the batterys for the light meter. Which obviously has some advantages. It is realatvly small, not a lot bigger then the Oly OM series.
I would pick the FM2n version as it they changed the shutter system in them and if using fill in flash can sync at 250th.

The Nikon F3 is battery dependant (if battery fails your stuck on 90th) and is bit heavier and bigger than the FM seies. Big avantage I find is it has 100% viewfinder which for me is worth it when using wide angle lens.
The F3 does have a quirky flash shoe but ti will give TTL flash and it is not difficult to pick the F3 deicated flash sytems up. Suppose it does create an issue if you get another Nikon body and want to use the flash.

Both machines are now old but I do not think there would be a problem getting them fixed.

Asfor lens the ultimate of the 24mm 28mm ones are thef2 but these are not common and like all things fast apeture not cheap either.
I have used a Nikon 28mm and it is nice and at f2.8 usable even in low light.
I own a Nikon 24mm f2.8 lens and thing it is great, light fast and I think very sharp.

Bar Nikon then the other ones I would think about are Tamron or Sigmas possible Vivitars but they can be a bit hit or miss in quality.

If all else fails then have a look on the Clicky Mir Site which has loads of detail on Nikon lens, cameras and there performance.

I bought a FM2n not so long ago, no complaints from me, it's a great camera.

i think it's probably edging it over the F3 at the minute, but Im still in love with the design of the F3!

Have you thought about the F100? It's not totally "old school" like the F3 or FM2 but it's supposed to be an affordable yet quality Nikon Film SLR.

I have both and they are both great users, but if I'd to pick one I'd take the F3 on build alone, it has a feel of substance the FM2n lacks comparatively.

Have you considered an FE2? Very similar to the FM2n complete with the same fast titanium shutter, but with electronic control - so it also has aperture priority Auto when you need it, along with TTL flash (to make the most of that 250th sync speed).

Possibly not as repairable if the worst happens, but pretty reliable generally - and not too expensive to replace.

Nikons from the '80's are all good! I have an F3 and it is a battered old thing but it all works perfectly.

With £350 I'd put the money into Nikon glass and get a cheaper body to start with. F3's seem to have got very expensive. At the other end of the scale the EM is the smallest SLR made by Nikon to this day and I bought mine for £6 on a well known auction site. Works a treat and is good for everyday street photog.

Whatever model you get buy on condition - they can all be repaired but the costs don't stack up.

Oh and you need to bookmark this

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/index.htm

****With £350 I'd put the money into Nikon glass and get a cheaper body to start with***

Wise words, as my EM and N2000 would take the same quality picture (with the same lens) compared to the most expensive Nikon body.

i think, and stress think, im going to go ahead and try and find a F3. im in love with the design of the thing, and my tutor has just bent my arm around to getting one. he's had both a f3 and a fm2n and urged me to get the former.

now to looking at the glass!

F3 every time. Built like the proverbial outhouse, works like a dream and stick a Nikon lens on the front and you won't go far wrong.

Andy

I'd have to say the F3 - arguably the best film camera ever made, built for pro use, so you' re not going to hurt it much. The Canon F1 Series would be the Canon equivalent of the F3 - they piled so much quality into the build of these cameras that you know they're going to work wherever you are and whatever the conditions.

Inevtitably, as nice ones get scarcer prices are rising on nice examples, but don't be frightened of stretching a bit for the one you want - in the long term it will prove a better investment than spending the money on the latest DSLR.

Just bid on a F3 on the bay. Max bid was £75 and it went for £76, but the condition did look abit ropey. Ffordes seem to have them for around £150 in good condition, anywhere else to look bar those 2?

I've found FFordes OK. Their descriptions are pretty accurate and probably on the conservative side. My EOS 3 said 'signs of use' but I'm damned if I can see 'em. Also they're pretty friendly if you ring them up and not averse to a bit of haggling usually. ;) I think you get 3 months warranty too

Just checked the 3 months warranty and your right. Thing is, the majority of F3's on there either come with a motor drive, which I dont' want, or have faults (LCD screen, ON/OFF button loose) etc, got 2 on the bay that end tomorrow, both look decent enough.

And looking at those sites, it seems FM2's go for more?

I'm thinning out my 35mm gear, I was gonna suggest you start a wanted thread;) but I just got my F3 out and.....damn.....I don't think I want to sell it, its a beautiful thing:shrug:.
Might still be worth starting a wanted thread though:)

Just checked the 3 months warranty and your right. Thing is, the majority of F3's on there either come with a motor drive, which I dont' want, or have faults (LCD screen, ON/OFF button loose) etc, got 2 on the bay that end tomorrow, both look decent enough.

And looking at those sites, it seems FM2's go for more?

The FM2 is a great camera - just not up to the same build quality, but it does have a big advantage in not being battery dependent apart from metering.

Inevitably nicer F3s are going to fetch more money and the only niggle is that if the batteries fail, I think you just have the mechanical flash sync speed?

You could always look at the Canon F1N, if the batteries fail, you have mecahnical speeds from 1/125th to 1/2000th and 'B'. Same deal though - the cheaper ones tend to be a bit rough.:shrug:

Don't know where you are in the country but Real Cameras in Manchester always have an F3 or two in stock. Got mine from there for £120, not mint but in prretty good order.

Andy

The battery issue on the F3 isn't as big as people make it out to be. They're tiny button cells, you can get about 10 for a pound and they last ages.

With button cell batteries (which don't rely on power for winding on or focussing etc) battery life really isn't an issue - you're going to be changing those once a year at most, and provided it's not an old mercury cell (which none of the 80's Nikons are at least) they'll be easy enough to find even in an emergency. It's not difficult to pack a spare set either.

I think the only real difference it makes, in theory, is to the longevity of the camera in this day and age when most of the models we're talking about may as well be antiques for all the support they get. If a camera's shutter relies on batteries, that means it relies on electronics, and when custom electronics from the early eighties break, that's pretty much it. Unlike a mechanical spring or cam that a good repairman might be able to fashion themselves, replacement electronics for these cameras mostly don't exist.

The flip side is that for as long as those electronics are working, they should be more accurate and more reliable than their mechanical equivalent. A quartz timed shutter should carry on firing at the exact same speed for it's whole working life regardless of gradual changes in physical tolerances, whereas a mechanical assembly is more likely to need tweaking and adjusting to compensate for age.

The battery issue on the F3 isn't as big as people make it out to be. They're tiny button cells, you can get about 10 for a pound and they last ages.

Exactly - if you're worried about the battery dying, you simply take a replacement battery/ies wrap 'em in a couple of layers of clingfilm, then gaffa tape them onto the camera strap. If you use proper black gaffa tape, nobody will be any the wiser, and you've always got your spares with you :)

I actually visited Real Cameras last week. COuldn't see an F3 but they had a FM2N which was £249 with a lens, can't remember which.

i think, and stress think, im going to go ahead and try and find a F3. .........................now to looking at the glass!

this would get you started...''link''

manual focus, no metering on F3 [ I use a Weston Master V light meter off eBay £25]

you have to go to Ai or Ai-S lens for linked metering

but it will get you started while you hunt for suitable glass

after soul-searching all day, I have put my F3 up for sale

I've recently bought some primes for my Canon A1 and cannot see having 2 high-end film cameras

have a look.......''link''

after soul-searching all day, I have put my F3 up for sale

I've recently bought some primes for my Canon A1 and cannot see having 2 high-end film cameras

have a look.......''link''

Well I can understand as I'm sure most of us would like to own a top Nikon body, but the lenses go for stupid prices.....Canon bodies and lenses are much cheaper and surely it would take an expert to see any difference (if there was) between prints from either makes.

I put a max bid on one yesterday and I've only bloody won it! £62.99, but it comes with a fault. He's stating it's in very good condition, but the self timer is dicky. Me never ever using them saw a bargain and decided to bid on it - here's hoping everything else is good, if so I can easily live with that minor fault which I'd never use anyway.

And by doing this, I can spend more on the lens if need be, :clap:

PS, sorry if you were hoping for a sale out of me yardbent, it's tad out of my price range anyhow! Thanks anyway. (I'd have the lens if it was any wider, alas it's a 50mm thgouh!)

................... yardbent, it's tad out of my price range anyhow! Thanks anyway. (I'd have the lens if it was any wider, alas it's a 50mm thgouh!)

that's ok.....enjoy you find....(y)

NB ...check that the rewind drive cover is there - many get lost - and light can/will enter there and fog the film

multi-coated Ai-S lens are ''usually'' more £££ than Ai. [which work fine too]

ffordes have good range, if somewhat high

here's a cracker ''link'' but you need to phone that very day as stuff moves fast and his website maintenance is slow

good luck..! ..............welcome to film

run a check
cheap Boots roll through, develop and scan to CD about £10 within 1hour

then Photo Express does a quick turn-around for £4.50 to CD

Ill get back to you on that one, I'm just reading up on all the different versions at the minute.

:LOL:

The camera has come this morning, and is in very good condition, and in additiont to this, the self-timer actually works!

So wether he meant something else by his description;

The Manual Timer... The lever in the front of camera does not work.

I think I'm in luck, big time! Can anybody else hazard a guess at what he might mean? The only other things/levers on the front are to do with the mirror, lens mounting, so im at a loss really!?

Possibly DoF preview lever?

:LOL:

The camera has come this morning, and is in very good condition, and in additiont to this, the self-timer actually works!

So wether he meant something else by his description;

I think I'm in luck, big time! Can anybody else hazard a guess at what he might mean? The only other things/levers on the front are to do with the mirror, lens mounting, so im at a loss really!?

Does the self timer also function as mirror lock-up lever - perhaps that's what he means?

I'd say its the Mirror Lockup lever/DOF preview button on the front that they were on about, as the self timer lever is under the shutter speed dial. If they were trying to actuate the timer release by using the mirror lockup then they'd get confused I guess...

(I had a shuftie at the manual here! - not being a nikonite :) )

Mirror lock up works.

The timer switch is very stiff, so he might have just been unable to flick it on/off, I've sent him an email anyway. I can't check the DOF as I don't have a lens yet!

Back