Nikon Transfer 2 for Mac - auto 'start transfer' on opening?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Just discovered Nikon Transfer 2 and have added it to my workflow. I find it great for ingestion of my RAWs from my SD card. I've configured my Mac to autostart Nikon Transfer 2 when my SD card reader is plugged in - it transfers all of my new RAWs onto my Mac into a predefined folder - it creates subfolders named by date and puts all my new photos into folders dependant when they were taken. Once complete it ejects the reader, closes and opens up my RAW editor. Perfect for me being lazy and all.

My question is - I still have to click on 'Start Transfer' after Nikon Transfer 2 opens - is there a way to get Nikon Transfer 2 to auto start the transfer - making the entire operation automated from start to finish?

Hi Gil,

I use Transfer too :wave: - have been for years, but haven't found a way to get it to auto start the transfer. I have ViewNX-D set to open once transfer is finished as it's a really quick tool for culling with.

Create an Automator script?
Not sure if it's possible as I can't find a 'start transfer' option in any of the drop down menus when the programme is running. It appears the only way to start the transfer is by clicking the button.

Not sure if it's possible as I can't find a 'start transfer' option in any of the drop down menus when the programme is running. It appears the only way to start the transfer is by clicking the button.
It's been a while since I've messed with Automator. Could you maximise the app and then follow mouse activity?

Didn't know you could do that, will take a look and see if I can figure out how to do it :)

I’ve been having a problem with Nikon Transfer 2, so I uninstalled it, and installed the latest version, however, I can’t get it to transfer my files to my Mac. I have tried updates, clicking transfer files, but nothing seems to work. The older version worked automatically, but I was fed up with a pop up box saying there was an error, so I thought I would install it again in case it was corrupt. My camera is a D750. Can any one help

It's been a while since I've messed with Automator. Could you maximise the app and then follow mouse activity?
I got it to work using the 'watch what I do' option in automator to record clicking the button. I created a new app using automator which opens Nikon Transfer 2, and clicks the 'Start Transfer' button. Instead of the SD card opening opening Nikon Transfer 2 - I've set it to open the automator app I created instead. Hey presto, it work!! Cheers Adrian

I’ve been having a problem with Nikon Transfer 2, so I uninstalled it, and installed the latest version, however, I can’t get it to transfer my files to my Mac. I have tried updates, clicking transfer files, but nothing seems to work. The older version worked automatically, but I was fed up with a pop up box saying there was an error, so I thought I would install it again in case it was corrupt. My camera is a D750. Can any one help
No idea why you can't get it to work Andrew. Have you tried the software on another Mac, and tried your SD card on the other Mac to see if the issue is isolated to your machine, and it's not anything else

No, I have only got the one Mac, have tried checking for updates etc, all the usual stuff. Bit of a hindrance as I am unable to access my raw files. I am away from home at the moment, but think I will try installing from the original disc, to see if that is any different. The only other thing I could try is to uninstall both capture and transfer, and download fresh copies of both.
I have used Nikon transfer for years without a hitch, and cannot derstand why now I have a problem.

Last edited:
No, I have only got the one Mac, have tried checking for updates etc, all the usual stuff. Bit of a hindrance as I am unable to access my raw files. I am away from home at the moment, but think I will try installing from the original disc, to see if that is any different. The only other thing I could try is to uninstall both capture and transfer, and download fresh copies of both.
I have used Nikon transfer for years without a hitch, and cannot derstand why now I have a problem.
Check that the software is compatible with the version of OS X you're running and that your camera is supported.

I got it to work using the 'watch what I do' option in automator to record clicking the button. I created a new app using automator which opens Nikon Transfer 2, and clicks the 'Start Transfer' button. Instead of the SD card opening opening Nikon Transfer 2 - I've set it to open the automator app I created instead. Hey presto, it work!! Cheers Adrian
Glad that did the trick. Happy to help.

Back