Nikon UK repair time

Edit My Images
No
Does Nikon UK takes ages to repair the equipment? I've sended my equipment to Nikon to get a quote long time ago and my insurance company said they will contact Nikon directly to authorise the repair and then once the repair is done they will invoice me the excess. I felt thats better in my bad so I'm not the middle person to deal with payment etc.

According to the nikon repair tracking: the repair was accepted on the 25/08/2015 and the estimated repair complete date will be 03/09/2015. Is 23/09/2015 now and I heard nothing from Nikon. Was wondering is it normal for Nikon to take ages on the repair?

I sent my D300s back last year for some repairs and it took around 8 weeks! I chased it up a few times, and they were waiting on parts from the far east - via the slow boat I suspect.

Can be, ring them and find out why it's taking so long.

Yeah I will give them a call when I have time. I have to admit the lens that is being repair is the Nikon 28-70 f2.8 AFS. Older lens require different parts.

Hope the parts are still available for it ... presumably they are if they've quoted.

Well at least is my insurance company dealing with Nikon to authorise the repair. If the parts is not available anymore, they will let me and the insurance company know. If thats the case means the lens is not repairable anymore so replacement lens will be given to me. The cost of repair is £700. My excess is £150. Either way is fine by me.

I don't think these have any new ones anymore. Is a discontinue model long time ago. Either Nikon repair it or insurance paid for the AFG model. This AFS model has aperture ring and is better then the G model for my purpose. I shoot video as well and the aperture ring is better for that purpose.

Yup, been discontinued for years. Ask the insurance company for a cash settlement and buy another used one.

I had a three week wait for a quote and a week after it was accepted I'm still waiting for the repair to start! Not good customer service from Nikon at the moment I fear...

Eight days after accepting the repair quote the status has changed to "awaiting parts..." wonder what Canon's repair service is like :(

In answer to the question I just posed - a quick Google shows very few posts about Canon service times and mentions of less than a week turnaround - same search for Nikon shows loads and loads of posts complaining at delays... :banghead:

I've owned both systems and neither are better than the other.

For my telephoto lens, when it needed a new VR motor, it took under 1 week (Nikon), but my D4S took about 4 weeks due to parts required. With Canon, same experience - 24-105 took about 4 weeks for turnaround, yet my old 5DII took about 5 days.

It varies i had less than a few days turn around too quite a few weeks, but depends on whats wrong and what parts are needed

I was waiting about 6 weeks for a tiny part from Japan that went via somewhere in Continental Europe. Really hopeless service.

Eight days after accepting the repair quote the status has changed to "awaiting parts..." wonder what Canon's repair service is like :(
I can tell you. I spend many thousands of pounds each year with both the Canon and Nikon main service centres. I don't know whether they have lists of their "top customers", but if they do then I expect I'm on there somewhere.

For repairs completed this year:
  • Canon - 53 repairs, average time 10.5 days including postage both ways
  • Nikon - 41 repairs, average time 28.9 days including postage both ways
Two-way postage takes an average of 2.8 days, since some of them will be in transit over the weekend. So the actual average repair times are 7.7 days and 26.1 days respectively.

No help really but Canon replaced the shutter on my 70D and had returned it in less than a week.

I can tell you. I spend many thousands of pounds each year with both the Canon and Nikon main service centres. I don't know whether they have lists of their "top customers", but if they do then I expect I'm on there somewhere.

For repairs completed this year:
  • Canon - 53 repairs, average time 10.5 days including postage both ways
  • Nikon - 41 repairs, average time 28.9 days including postage both ways
Two-way postage takes an average of 2.8 days, since some of them will be in transit over the weekend. So the actual average repair times are 7.7 days and 26.1 days respectively.
That's pretty shocking from Nikon!

Can the Nikon guys at least say that the cameras don't need to be repaired so often, as they are inherently more robust?

Can the Nikon guys at least say that the cameras don't need to be repaired so often, as they are inherently more robust?
I don't have enough cameras to be able to make a statistically meaningful observation on that score.

Lenses though ... it varies. This year I've been seeing a higher failure rate on Nikon lenses than Canon lenses, but it's quite variable. I think some specific designs from each manufacturer are just problematic. For example this year we had nearly half of our entire stock of the Nikon 80-400mm VR lenses out for repair at one stage, which is quite poor given how new they are, and that has biassed the figures.

Interesting: if I was to swap to Nikon, that would be one of the lenses on my list!

My D750 went back today, after they gave me a 7-10days turnaround so will let you know how it goes.

My D750 went back today, after they gave me a 7-10days turnaround so will let you know how it goes.

Good luck! I'm told mine "might" get the parts from the European Service centre sometime next week so they can start the fix - 44 days and counting...

Every year nikon seem to be loosing more profits compared to canon and releasing more lemons.. I don't think theres been one lens or body released recently that has not has some sort of issue.
This terrible customer service is going to loose them more custom too. Had it not been for there use of Sony sensors keeping them slightly ahead in performance im sure most woukd have left.

Reactions: dkh
Good luck! I'm told mine "might" get the parts from the European Service centre sometime next week so they can start the fix - 44 days and counting...
Thank you, what did your camera go in for?

Needs new screen, some buttons and some elements of the body itself from memory - i.e. bits of the metal chassis.

Do you mind if I ask how much they quoted for the screen?, mine has a couple of chips on so would give me an indication. You can pm the quote if you wish.

Every year nikon seem to be loosing more profits compared to canon and releasing more lemons.. I don't think theres been one lens or body released recently that has not has some sort of issue.
This terrible customer service is going to loose them more custom too. Had it not been for there use of Sony sensors keeping them slightly ahead in performance im sure most woukd have left.

What you mean like Canons 1DX recall? 5D mirror recall? The 5D3 light leak? 7D AF issues? 70D AF issues? 650D recall? 750/60D recall? SX50 recall?

Sure, it seems its only Nikon :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They may have had some issues to but I woukd say nikon exceeds them.3 off the 5 nikon ff camera has had an issue in the past few years and quite a few of there new zooms have had issues also. Canon also seemed to respond quickly to any. Unlike nikon still denying the d800 issue and taking years to resolve the d600 issues. Im guessing this hit them hard as they actually acknowledged two issues with the d750 and as much as I like my d750 looking in the thread theres alot of returns for other issues.
I know you're a strong supporter of nikon but in honesty they need to sort this sooner rather than later, or there wont be much left to sort .

They may have had some issues to but I woukd say nikon exceeds them.3 off the 5 nikon ff camera has had an issue in the past few years and quite a few of there new zooms have had issues also. Canon also seemed to respond quickly to any. Unlike nikon still denying the d800 issue and taking years to resolve the d600 issues. Im guessing this hit them hard as they actually acknowledged two issues with the d750 and as much as I like my d750 looking in the thread theres alot of returns for other issues.
I know you're a strong supporter of nikon but in honesty they need to sort this sooner rather than later, or there wont be much left to sort .

I'm no fanboy, at the moment I shoot Nikon, who knows whats next. Im just showing you that its not just Nikon that has manufacturing issues, theres at least an equal amount of Canon models that are being recalled. Canon is still recalling the original 5D, that's been around longer than the D600, it takes time. But do agree that Nikon needs to pull their finger out when it comes to repair turnaround times and BOTH need to look at their products more carefully before release.

Last edited:
Back