Nikon Z* mirrorless

I’m getting tempted by the Samyang 14mm Z-mount as an option for an UWA. I don’t think I’d get a massive amount of use out of the 14-30, certainly not a grand’s worth anyway. The 14mm is pretty cheap, especially secondhand. I had a Samyang when I used Fuji and it was really good value for money.

Anyone used one?

here is a shot taken by a friend who is a very successful wedding tog he took this with his nikon Z7 not a good advert for nikon mirrorless If any members are thinking on mirrorless this is the effect you get using the highest frame rate on silent mode (Nikon Z7) It is only an issue with fast moving subjects.Something maybe worth investigating before you buy a mirrorlees. It may be only an issue with the Nikon Z7 but better to check, no problems with the mechanical shutter.

172074451_10223670078956461_4064817750970710446_n.jpg

Last edited:
here is a shot taken by a friend who is a very successful wedding tog he took this with his nikon Z7 not a good advert for nikon mirrorless If any members are thinking on mirrorless this is the effect you get using the highest frame rate on silent mode (Nikon Z7) It is only an issue with fast moving subjects.Something maybe worth investigating before you buy a mirrorlees. It may be only an issue with the Nikon Z7 but better to check, no problems with the mechanical shutter.

View attachment 315392
All but the high end mirrorless cameras will have this problem. The camera can't read the sensor quick enough with the electronic shutter. I never use the electronic shutter, so never have this problem.

I’m getting tempted by the Samyang 14mm Z-mount as an option for an UWA. I don’t think I’d get a massive amount of use out of the 14-30, certainly not a grand’s worth anyway. The 14mm is pretty cheap, especially secondhand. I had a Samyang when I used Fuji and it was really good value for money.

Anyone used one?

the weight of the dedicated Z mount one is absolutely absurd -- nearly half if is the built-in adaptor. And it has no electronics whatsoever which makes it worse than the F mount version. That one I did try out for a while only to return it as the copy was no more than fair. If you get a good one, it can be nice but decentring defects are common and the distance scale is seldom accurate which can cause folk to think it's worse than it is. How different the optical design is with the Z mount version, I'm not sure but I don't see the point unless it's more reliable. Definitely get one somewhere where it's easy to return. I settled for the Irix 15mm f2.4 --enormous girth but reasonable weight and in most situations, good IQ. The fast aperture and close focus can make for some quite interesting bokeh effects. The price isn't that much higher.

the weight of the dedicated Z mount one is absolutely absurd -- nearly half if is the built-in adaptor. And it has no electronics whatsoever which makes it worse than the F mount version. That one I did try out for a while only to return it as the copy was no more than fair. If you get a good one, it can be nice but decentring defects are common and the distance scale is seldom accurate which can cause folk to think it's worse than it is. How different the optical design is with the Z mount version, I'm not sure but I don't see the point unless it's more reliable. Definitely get one somewhere where it's easy to return. I settled for the Irix 15mm f2.4 --enormous girth but reasonable weight and in most situations, good IQ. The fast aperture and close focus can make for some quite interesting bokeh effects. The price isn't that much higher.

Thanks for the info David. :)

I have the Irix 11/4 and 15/2.4 both are cracking lens..

Has anyone used the 24-200 Z lens yet?

I'm looking to get it and potentially replace my 24-85 and 70-200f4 and I will save a fair bit of weight for doing this which will really help for hiking. Just wondering if it is sharp enough compared to these two lenses?

IMO it is better than the 24-85, but not as quite as good as the 70-200 f4.
Ive had the 2 f mounts and have the z mount.

IMO it is better than the 24-85, but not as quite as good as the 70-200 f4.
Ive had the 2 f mounts and have the z mount.

Thanks Peter, is there a big difference with the 70-200f4 would you say?

Thanks Peter, is there a big difference with the 70-200f4 would you say?

well I’ve never owned the 2 side by side.
The 24-200 tends to be a little softer at the long end. It is a super zoom after all.
The 70-200 is plenty sharp and has great micro contrast.
I suppose a lot depends on your intended use.

Check out reviews of both on lenstip and opticallimits.

This is a really good L-Bracket and a decent price too

This is a really good L-Bracket and a decent price too

Availability: Out of stock :ROFLMAO:

They look ok but not at £90..

The SmallRig L Bracket is miles ahead for my money and £37.50..

And their pro version which allows the attachment of a small support bracket for the FTZ adapter is £54 plus £26 for the extra bracket, so £80 all in.

I have the latter combo and it's spot on and gives you a little extra height on the camera at the grip side which allows your pinky finger to also grip.

61EeEqfDijL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still trying to work out what full-frame on my Z5 does and doesn't do compared to the APSC sensor in my D3300.

The church spire beside me was looking good in the early morning sun yesterday, and I took a photo. It didn't come out as well as I hoped, but I did a crop from the clock at 100% and I'm really impressed with the detail at that level of magnification. If I manage to take a photo I'm proud of I may try to get a decent sized print made.

It doesn't make me a better photographer anyway, but hopefully working at it will eventually do that. I don't expect there are any shortcuts.

St Mary's clock 1352 by James West, on Flickr

St Mary's clock2 1352 by James West, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm still trying to work out what full-frame on my Z5 does and doesn't do compared to the APSC sensor in my D3300.

The church spire beside me was looking good in the early morning sun yesterday, and I took a photo. It didn't come out as well as I hoped, but I did a crop from the clock at 100% and I'm really impressed with the detail at that level of magnification. If I manage to take a photo I'm proud of I may try to get a decent sized print made.

It doesn't make me a better photographer anyway, but hopefully working at it will eventually do that. I don't expect there are any shortcuts.

St Mary's clock 1352 by James West, on Flickr

St Mary's clock2 1352 by James West, on Flickr

The difference will be more pronounced in low light. Less noise in the FFS.

Some wet butterflies from this morning. Z6 and Sigma 105mm DG + tripod. I got bloody soaked due to the morning dew and it rained yesterday but it was so worth it. 2021-04-19_12-40-58.jpg2021-04-19_12-40-52.jpg2021-04-19_12-40-43.jpg2021-04-19_12-40-38.jpg

Has anyone used the 24-200 Z lens yet?

I'm looking to get it and potentially replace my 24-85 and 70-200f4 and I will save a fair bit of weight for doing this which will really help for hiking. Just wondering if it is sharp enough compared to these two lenses?

I watched Nigel Danson’s latest YT video from Sunday just gone. Seems he’s using a 24-200 now. The only thing stopping me is the low trade in value of the 24-70....

Back