Nikon Z* mirrorless

Had my z6ii and 24-70 2.8 a couple of weeks now.

Still ploughing my way through Thom’s book. Much has changed since my d7000....

The only disappointment I have is that you can’t have “Easy ISO” on the back thumb wheel like on my D7K. I liked aperture on the front wheel and iso on the back. There doesn’t seem to be an “easy iso” mode.

Can any recommend a good YT video for the focus modes?

I will post some images up when I can remember how!

All the Z's will get an update 22 April. Better af they say.
Oops, April 26 not 22nd.

Last edited:
I watched Nigel Danson’s latest YT video from Sunday just gone. Seems he’s using a 24-200 now. The only thing stopping me is the low trade in value of the 24-70....
I've seen that too, it is a very tempting lens, especially for the weight saving whilst hiking. A bit soft in the corners at 24mm possibly, but would really notice apart from pixel peepers?

For my D750 I was converting the NEF files into DNG on my windows 7 PC no problem using Adobe dng converter.

Now I have the Z6 and the converter doesn't recognise the files, I have tried the new version but it isn't compatible with windows 7 and I don't want to upgrade to windows 10 because it will probably kill my old camera.

Have to use DNGs for the processing software I have and I don't want to buy a new computer really....any ideas for a simple solution please?

For my D750 I was converting the NEF files into DNG on my windows 7 PC no problem using Adobe dng converter.

Now I have the Z6 and the converter doesn't recognise the files, I have tried the new version but it isn't compatible with windows 7 and I don't want to upgrade to windows 10 because it will probably kill my old camera.

Have to use DNGs for the processing software I have and I don't want to buy a new computer really....any ideas for a simple solution please?
There is a file to d/l from nikon site. Goto firmware updates then on the right you will see NEF CODEC, D/L codec and all should be good. Download the file to your pc, may have to restart pc for it to take effect.

Last edited:
Oooo now that’s pricked my ears up! I’m reading Nikon rumours as 26/4 for the Z6 and as well as AF updates there will be the addition of voice memos! Nice
Yeah I used my brain and got the date wrong lol

First trip back to Wales for months. I’ve missed the place. It was more of a day for a walk, Glyder Fach being the location for the day, but took the camera anyway despite a promise of blue skies all day. A piccie of Glyder Fach’s imposing neighbour, Tryfan, from about 3/4 of the way up. You can just see the famous rock pillars on the summit and a walker getting near the top.

Tryfan
by Jason, on Flickr

There is a file to d/l from nikon site. Goto firmware updates then on the right you will see NEF CODEC, D/L codec and all should be good. Download the file to your pc, may have to restart pc for it to take effect.
Thank you Graham, it hasn't worked though unfortunately, it still says that it doesn't work on my operating system.

Thank you Graham, it hasn't worked though unfortunately, it still says that it doesn't work on my operating system.
What is your o/s and file management program?

I've seen that too, it is a very tempting lens, especially for the weight saving whilst hiking. A bit soft in the corners at 24mm possibly, but would really notice apart from pixel peepers?

I have just recieved this lens, I am used to shooting the F Mount 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's for the last 10+ years and I can confirm it is a fantastic lens for landscape, portrait and general travel photgraphy, i personally dont care so much about corner sharpness as that shouldnt really be the focal point of a photo IMHO, but the quality has blown me away tbh.

I wouldnt reccomend it for fast moving sports images, but that is a compromise i can live with for purely the space/weight saving.

I also have the 14-30 f4 and that thing is a beast and is every bit as good as my 14-24 f2.8 but is tiny in comparrison, with these two lenses I feel super confident i can get the same quality images as before but now carrying a small bag that weighs 1.5kg.

I have just recieved this lens, I am used to shooting the F Mount 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's for the last 10+ years and I can confirm it is a fantastic lens for landscape, portrait and general travel photgraphy, i personally dont care so much about corner sharpness as that shouldnt really be the focal point of a photo IMHO, but the quality has blown me away tbh.

I wouldnt reccomend it for fast moving sports images, but that is a compromise i can live with for purely the space/weight saving.

I also have the 14-30 f4 and that thing is a beast and is every bit as good as my 14-24 f2.8 but is tiny in comparrison, with these two lenses I feel super confident i can get the same quality images as before but now carrying a small bag that weighs 1.5kg.
Sounds brilliant, I think I'm going to sell my 70-200f4 and 24-85 soon and push the order button on the 24-200

Sounds brilliant, I think I'm going to sell my 70-200f4 and 24-85 soon and push the order button on the 24-200

One thing i saw on youtube today it does suffer from lens flare if you shoot into the sun, so something that needs to be considered, i rarley do this though

you might want to watch these threevideos too? even if you dont listen to him the pictures say it all tbh

View: https://youtu.be/iLIzx6U0xRg

View: https://youtu.be/m7AkjAP1IMM

https://youtu.be/r5d65II8YqU

I'm using windows 7 and an old version of photomatix pro, maybe I need to upgrade my editing software finally...
Imo but normally I am wrong, try opening your photos with another program. Right click and choose "open with"
I cant see it would be win 7 but a cheap upgrade would be a good option.
Win 10 64 Pro is £12-15 from evilbay or amazon.

Oooo now that’s pricked my ears up! I’m reading Nikon rumours as 26/4 for the Z6 and as well as AF updates there will be the addition of voice memos! Nice

Mine too - can't wait to see what the AF updates are for the Z6.

Absolutely love my Z6, and the quality of photos you can get with it particularly for portraits and Weddings

On the other hand I miss having a wildlife / action combination. My old 300mm f/4 doesn't cut it for fast moving subjects

Kind of miss my D500 and 200-500mm for bird photography, I'm so tempted to buy the 200-500mm again, or save up for a 500mm f/5.6 PF, but wonder if these lenses work well with the FTZ compared to the likes of the D500 and D850. One thing about mirrorless, particularly with my 300mm f/4 IF ED is that if you accidentally focus onto the background it refuses to return to a closer subject using AF without help with the focus ring first. Seems to be a common issue across mirrorless cameras. It sucks!!
Here's an example of it on the Canon r6 too:

Another think I do prefer is the optical viewfinder for birds. I just sometimes feel that my digital viewfinder is not keeping up with birds in flight in the same way an optical viewfinder does. I just find it more difficult to track because I feel like I'm always behind with the information the EVF is displaying. Am I imagining things?

Ever so tempted to swap out one of my Z6 cameras for a D850 so I can have best of both worlds!!

Last edited:
Absolutely love my Z6, and the quality of photos you can get with it particularly for portraits and Weddings

On the other hand I miss having a wildlife / action combination. My old 300mm f/4 doesn't cut it for fast moving subjects

Kind of miss my D500 and 200-500mm for bird photography, I'm so tempted to buy the 200-500mm again, or save up for a 500mm f/5.6 PF, but wonder if these lenses work well with the FTZ compared to the likes of the D500 and D850. One thing about mirrorless, particularly with my 300mm f/4 IF ED is that if you accidentally focus onto the background it refuses to return to a closer subject using AF without help with the focus ring first. Seems to be a common issue across mirrorless cameras. It sucks!!

Another think I do prefer is the optical viewfinder for birds. I just sometimes feel that my digital viewfinder is not keeping up with birds in flight in the same way an optical viewfinder does. I just find it more difficult to track because I feel like I'm always behind with the information the EVF is displaying. Am I imagining things?

Ever so tempted to swap out one of my Z6 cameras for a D850 so I can have best of both worlds!!
All Nikon mirrorless cameras currently available suffer badly from EVF lag and Shutter lag.
These never help when photographing moving subjects.

I'm using windows 7 and an old version of photomatix pro, maybe I need to upgrade my editing software finally...
I use either Faststone or Picasa, both open the files ok.

All Nikon mirrorless cameras currently available suffer badly from EVF lag and Shutter lag.
These never help when photographing moving subjects.

couldn't agree with you more thats why im sticking to my d500 and d850 setup
maybe in 5 yr time they will have caught up and i will try it again
i had the sony a9 2 for two weeks then sold on for the reason you mention above

thats the way way to go get an d850 and d500 again happy days

I'm thinking about a Z6, but have a few questions.

- Opinions on picking up a used Z6, bearing in mind the additional cost in terms of XQD cards and readers. I know the Z5 exists, but I prefer the top LCD panel on the Z6.
- Is it worth the cost of a used Z6 plus XQD cards over a new Z6II. Looking at Panamoz, there's about a £400 difference in cost between the Mk1 & Mk2 with XQD cards included (excluding an XQD reader, which reduces the difference more).
- Are XQD cards here for the future - If I need to buy an XQD card in 6 years for arguments sake (unlikely with my GAS, but you live in hope!), are you still going to get them.
- How are the Z6 RAW files for colour in comparison to older DSLR camera bodies? I've shot previously with a D700, D750 (and loved both).
- Real world weight issues with a Z6 & 24-70?

Pondering a move from Fuji to Nikon, I've had a tonne of Fuji cameras, but always prefer the Nikon colours to Fuji. A mate of mine has lent me his D810 for a few days and those colours are just so much nicer IMO. I really do like the OVF on the D810, but I'm used to an EVF - and have cameras with an OVF if I really feel the need,

Just a few initial thoughts really before looking in earnest!

I'm thinking about a Z6, but have a few questions.

- Opinions on picking up a used Z6, bearing in mind the additional cost in terms of XQD cards and readers. I know the Z5 exists, but I prefer the top LCD panel on the Z6.
- Is it worth the cost of a used Z6 plus XQD cards over a new Z6II. Looking at Panamoz, there's about a £400 difference in cost between the Mk1 & Mk2 with XQD cards included (excluding an XQD reader, which reduces the difference more).
- Are XQD cards here for the future - If I need to buy an XQD card in 6 years for arguments sake (unlikely with my GAS, but you live in hope!), are you still going to get them.
- How are the Z6 RAW files for colour in comparison to older DSLR camera bodies? I've shot previously with a D700, D750 (and loved both).
- Real world weight issues with a Z6 & 24-70?

Pondering a move from Fuji to Nikon, I've had a tonne of Fuji cameras, but always prefer the Nikon colours to Fuji. A mate of mine has lent me his D810 for a few days and those colours are just so much nicer IMO. I really do like the OVF on the D810, but I'm used to an EVF - and have cameras with an OVF if I really feel the need,

Just a few initial thoughts really before looking in earnest!

Depends. The Z6II didn't provide me with anything I need over the Z6 so that was out immediately. XQD cards are expensive and may not always be around (or they may just always be expensive) but the Z6 also uses CFExpress cards and those are probably future. An XQD or CFExpress reader is £15 off Amazon so hardly worth considering in the grand scheme of things.

The Z6 can also use cfexpress.

What’s the real difference between XQD & CFExpress cards?

All of the CF Express cards I’m looking at are hugely priced on Amazon and other sites. Am I looking at the wrong thing

Another point I’m assuming a Z6 can be charged via USB-C cable, can RAW files be transferred onto a Mac in the same way?

@wibbly yes the camera shows up in file exploerer under my pc so i would expect it would show on the desktop on a mac, inside that folder each card shows as a seperate drive, in LR it shows up automatically when you start import

Last edited:
What’s the real difference between XQD & CFExpress cards?

All of the CF Express cards I’m looking at are hugely priced on Amazon and other sites. Am I looking at the wrong thing
The Cfexpress has the potential to be faster, but I don't think a Z6 would benefit a whole lot between a XQD or Cfexpress. If it was me I'd be looking for a second hand XQD. They sometimes come up for sale here or can be purchased from MPB secondhand also.
The Z6 can be charged via USB, only when switched off. It can't be powered via USB like the Z6II/Z7II can.

Last edited:
Thanks Chaps, appreciate the answers.

I’ve had a mates D810 for a couple of days and I love the Nikon RAW files. I’m assuming Z6 RAW’s have that ‘usual’ Nikon colours and tones... of course understand there’s a MP difference!

couldn't agree with you more thats why im sticking to my d500 and d850 setup
maybe in 5 yr time they will have caught up and i will try it again
i had the sony a9 2 for two weeks then sold on for the reason you mention above

interesting this. My son fancies an a7iii for automotive ( including car to car rolling shots ) and has been using my d500. Maybe it’s not a good change..

Heard a commotion yesterday in the garden and looked out to see the poor pigeon being disembowled by our resident hawk (identification would be good as I'm not sure - sparrow hawk ?).

Was quite disconcerting to see the pigeon squirming then just stopped moving as the raptor ripped into it's flesh. Shot with my Z7 with the 300mm PF and 1.4x through double glazed windows at around 50m

Back