Nikon Z* mirrorless

you can normally haggle down LCE quite a bit on used lenses if you have a better offer elsewhere especially for a new one with full warranty.
They offered to knock a bit off but wasn’t worth it. Easier to buy new with the prices Amazon had them at.

Wow they are some great deals, I was about to hire a 24-200mm, would be cheaper to buy it and re-sell it a bit later.

I have found that its cheaper to buy mirrorless lenses on sale or used and then resell them later than rent.
though there is the hassle of selling it again I guess. small price to pay for not being out of pocket if you ask me.

If quick, Amazon.co.uk has the 24-200mm Z lens for £669
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084PVXX73?psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Bought one myself at that price.

Here's me thinking it was an unexpected price drop, only to find out that it's a Nikon endorsed one.
So maybe not as much of a hurry to buy as first thought.
Hate to say it but £619 at greys of Westminster.

I’m impressed by all the recent summer sales prices. I was a long time Nikon user until a couple of years ago. At the time I was planning to downsize lenses so looked at mirrorless as I was practically selling every lens I had. At the time Nikon didn’t do mirrorless so I went with Sony. Have to say Sony hasn’t felt as comfortable as the Nikon’s did (I loved the d750 I had). I guess over the years I became accustomed to Nikon’s standardised design and I miss that all cameras felt finalist to hold and menus were similar. these summer prices aren’t helping a niggling feeling I have that I should go back to Nikon and try their mirrorless. It’s probably quite a crazy thought considering I’m now covered quite well by Sony.

The 24-200 doesn’t help as I’d love an one in one landscape lens. It’s just a shame there aren’t any longer Z lenses over 200mm suitable for wildlife as I’d probably go back to a 300mm f4 lens. I’m finding a 100-400 at f5.6 means very high ISO early in the morning. I guess the Nikon 200-400 f4 I had gave best of all worlds with lower ISO at f4, zoom and great IQ. Just a shame it weighed so much!

Please humour me, how similar is the Z6ii to the D750?

Last edited:
Ive just returned to Nikon after a few years with Olympus. The Z series autofocus Options are considerably different to their DSLRs but with a bit of practice Im sure they offer at least as good performance though I always loved my original D500 for BIF.
I have the Z6ii kit with 24-70zoom lens which is a cracker, the FTZ adapter works well with my new 70-300 zoom which is much better than the earlier versions, and for distance at present I have the 300 f4PDAF which works faultlessly via the adapter.
I do miss the long effective range of my Olympus kit but loving the low light performance, the ability to crop so much and the fact that my Z6ii and 300PDAF is hardly bigger or heavier than the EM1ii and 300f4.
One feature I would love to bring from my Em1ii though is the Pro Capture mode.

Last edited:
Anybody after a memory card for their Z6 / Z6ii / Z7 / Z7ii I've got a Prograde 128GB CF Express B card available in classified accessories

Wow they are some great deals, I was about to hire a 24-200mm, would be cheaper to buy it and re-sell it a bit later.

Hi Chris i have the 24-70 f4 but have decided to purchased the 24-200 just for the range of it as a one lens solution. I will be giving up a little in the image quality but overall i think it is worth the trade off. It is quite a saving overall. I wish i could keep both but cost always comes into it as well.

Last edited:
Had a look at the lenses on offer today - despite the offers I'm struggling to see anything I'd like / would pay for. Hoping to see a more moderately priced 70-300 or so at some point. I'm kind of regretting buying the 24-70, and think I should have gone for the 24-200 from the off. I've put my 24-50 Z kit lens on Ebay. I've also sold my DSLR DX camera and two separate lenses on Gumtree.

I took the camera out today, after all the poor weather the flowers and blossom are playing catch-up, at least a month behind where they would normally be.

cuckoo flower 2346 by James West, on Flickr

Cherry blossom 2309 by James West, on Flickr

Well, it's certainly taken a lot of thought, but the lure of FF at a cheap price ( relatively speaking) has torn me away from my beloved Fuji X-T4 and into the loving arms of a Z5. There's a few reasons for the switch, but basically as much as I loved Fuji, there are certain things I missed from my FF days, in particular the rendering of lenses like a 35mm 1.4 was impossible to replicate on APSC without MF lenses. I still MIGHT hold on to my X100T as a walk around camera though, we'll see how the finances are!

The other thing is that the X-T4 ( with all it's bells and whistles) felt like too much of a camera for me. I had hoped to get into video more but it's really not for me beyond recording on my phone! The Z5 is certainly more basic in a lot of ways, but what it does is all I really need, and so far ( I've only had it a day lol) it seems to do them very well. I really only shoot 3 things: Abandoned buildings, landscapes, and my kids!

Currently I'm only going to be using older lenses to keep costs down, and I've only got a Sigma 35mm Art ( a lens I missed A LOT) at the moment, but it performs really well with the FTX adapter, and I hope to pick up a 16-35( or 18-35) and an 85mm 1.4 too. Down the line I definitely would like native glass but for now the adapter is serving it's purpose.

Yes it's clearly a much bulkier system now than my Fuji was, but the results I've seen so far are worth it. I was a bit concerned about moving from Fuji in terms of colours but so far the Z5 really has impressed me, and the files are pretty good even SOOC.

I really wish Tamron would hurry up and get on the Z-mount scene. I very occasionally wish I had a lens wider than 24mm but not often enough to drop 800-900 quid on the 14-30. I suppose I could use the FTZ and get a secondhand F-mount lens to get by in the meantime but it’s yet more stuff to cart and faff about with.

I really wish Tamron would hurry up and get on the Z-mount scene. I very occasionally wish I had a lens wider than 24mm but not often enough to drop 800-900 quid on the 14-30. I suppose I could use the FTZ and get a secondhand F-mount lens to get by in the meantime but it’s yet more stuff to cart and faff about with.
you could but the e-mount to z-mount adapter and use Tamron e-mount lenses ;)

Hi Chris i have the 24-70 f4 but have decided to purchased the 24-200 just for the range of it as a one lens solution. I will be giving up a little in the image quality but overall i think it is worth the trade off.
I did the same for the extra range on walkabouts.
I've listed my 24-70 in the Classifieds.
I like the quality, so won't be too fussed if it doesn't sell.

Last edited:

Viltrox 20mm 1.8? Got mine for £190, it seems to be very well made and like you I rarely need to go that wide, so it was by far the cheapest way of getting a decent quality wide lens.

First trip out with the 24-200 and Z6ii this morning at Ashridge. Iam still on the fence with the image quality, i should have taken the 24-70 f4 out as well for comparison.

1f58k6B.jpg

P8mKZim.jpg

Last edited:
Took the 24-200mm for its first outing today, really impressed with it, AF was great and it seems plenty sharp enough. WIll be great for family days out (as this was)...

by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Those look great and might make me consider swapping in my 24-70 for a 24-200. :oops: :$

Those look great and might make me consider swapping in my 24-70 for a 24-200. :oops: :$

Honestly wasn't expecting that much from it despite the good reviews, well chuffed when I opened the files in Lightroom and zoomed in!

I just ordered one and then cancelled. I do really love the 24-70 and will struggle to ever let that one go.

I did exactly the same thing a couple of days ago.. Still not sure whether to bite to bullet and get the 24-200 for travel etc.... especially with the current price reductions.... I do like the 24-70 F4 though .....

Took the 24-200mm for its first outing today, really impressed with it, AF was great and it seems plenty sharp enough. WIll be great for family days out (as this was)...

Longleat by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Longleat by Chris Harrison, on Flickr
First trip out with the 24-200 and Z6ii this morning at Ashridge. Iam still on the fence with the image quality, i should have taken the 24-70 f4 out as well for comparison.

1f58k6B.jpg

P8mKZim.jpg

Oh, they look really good, well done chaps.

So far, I'm super pleased with the 24-70 so on the fence slightly with sort of doubling up on focal lengths, but for over 70mm, it would be a fine option. Either that or a AF-P 70-300 & an adaptor.... can't make up my mind which way to jump yet.

14-30 turned up this afternoon.... couldn't get out the house fast enough with it to try it at a woodland close to me. :LOL:

Was hoping some of the wild garlic was in bloom, but it's still on its way.

Damn, 14mm is wide! Never had anything this wide before, definitely going to be fun!

20210516-_DSC0687-Edit.jpg
by Dave Young, on Flickr

This isn't helping! I really want one :D

14-30 turned up this afternoon.... couldn't get out the house fast enough with it to try it at a woodland close to me. :LOL:

Was hoping some of the wild garlic was in bloom, but it's still on its way.

Damn, 14mm is wide! Never had anything this wide before, definitely going to be fun!

20210516-_DSC0687-Edit.jpg
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Christ that's a sharp lens :oops: :$

Back