Nikon Z* mirrorless

Christ that's a sharp lens :oops: :$
First impressions are very good. Haven’t managed to get out properly with it as yet. It looks very similar in rendering and sharpness to the 24-70 f4.

Maybe a little less sharp in the corners but that’s to be expected I guess. I’ve never had a lens as wide before so it’s early days.

Spent 10 hours today walking up, down and around The Ogwen Valley in Snowdonia. I took the two lenses that I have - the 24-70f4 and the 70-300 with ftz. I was hoping that it would convince me that I needed to ditch them and get the 24-200 and something a bit wider as a two lens solution. As there was a fair bit of fog swirling in and out of the mountain peaks, a lot of my photos today were at 300mm. I was glad to have the 70-300 so the day hasn‘t turned out to be the decision maker I thought it would be. :D

Nikon could invent a 14-500mm f1.8 vr that is weather sealed, the size and weight of an empty beer can and is given away in a box of cornflakes. I’d still be indecisive... :p

14-30 turned up this afternoon.... couldn't get out the house fast enough with it to try it at a woodland close to me. :LOL:

Was hoping some of the wild garlic was in bloom, but it's still on its way.

Damn, 14mm is wide! Never had anything this wide before, definitely going to be fun!

20210516-_DSC0687-Edit.jpg
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Very jealous - keen to get one but ended up opting for the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 Di instead which I must use more

Last edited:
That's my 300mm f/4 IF ED up for sale in classified. Time to move on to some new glass :)

Anyone with the 24-70mm f4 and 24-200mm?
I'll have 3 similar lenses once my 24-200mm arrives, I've also got the 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f4. The 24-70mm f2.8 is my most used lens and I bought the f4 as a walkabout lens so I wasn't bringing the weight and expense of the f2.8. Can anyone tell me would it be worth keeping the 24-70mm f4?

I sold my 24-70 f/4 to fund the 24-200, but I definitely wouldn’t use the former if I still had it. The 24-200 is only a little bigger than the 24-70, and while the aperture is slightly smaller beyond about 40mm, it’s not to a degree that I really notice.

Anyone with the 24-70mm f4 and 24-200mm?
I'll have 3 similar lenses once my 24-200mm arrives, I've also got the 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f4. The 24-70mm f2.8 is my most used lens and I bought the f4 as a walkabout lens so I wasn't bringing the weight and expense of the f2.8. Can anyone tell me would it be worth keeping the 24-70mm f4?

I have re-ordered the 24-200 today and have sold my 24-70 F4. Like others on here and for my use, I dont see the need for both lenses. I have also ordered the 35mm F1.8 for low light duties etc.

I also had the 24-70 f4 but bought the 24-200mm.
Sold the 24-70mm today.
I couldn't really see a PQ difference and do not really need the f4 through the range, though it would have been nice.
I've now got a much more useful walkabout with the extra reach of the 24-200mm.

24-200 ordered. My wife has got so sick of me a) moaning how my back hurts after a day in the mountains with the camera, b) going on about it doing the job of two lenses and trying to talk myself into it that she threatened to smother me in my sleep if I don’t shut up and buy the damn thing. :p

Need to figure when and how, and if I need to, fund the 14-30 now….:rolleyes:

24-200 ordered. My wife has got so sick of me a) moaning how my back hurts after a day in the mountains with the camera, b) going on about it doing the job of two lenses and trying to talk myself into it that she threatened to smother me in my sleep if I don’t shut up and buy the damn thing. :p

I prefer your wife's methodology. Mine threatened to smother me if I did buy it. :D

You prefer the idea of the 24-200 over the 70-300? I’ve kind of made my mind up to go for the 70-300 over the 24-200 as I really like the 24-70.

14-30 is a must, I’m really impressed with it so far.

You prefer the idea of the 24-200 over the 70-300? I’ve kind of made my mind up to go for the 70-300 over the 24-200 as I really like the 24-70.

14-30 is a must, I’m really impressed with it so far.

For me it‘s all about keeping the weight and size of gear I’m lugging around down to a level that doesn’t have my back in bits after a day in the mountains. I also really like the 24-70 but I think the plus points of the 24-200 will outweigh the, apparently fairly minor, dip in IQ. The 70-300 is good as well but it’s just another lens to lug around, plus the adaptor. Swapping the two for one will also mean I can take my smaller back pack with me on days out, (or fill my larger bag with more crisps and Haribos.:p )

I know the original nikon batteries en-el15c for the Z6ii are in short supply at the moment. Most of the third party batteries do not function on the z6ii but work fine on the original z6.

I have purchased these from amazon and can confirm they fully function on the z6ii. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dot-Foto-EN-EL15a-EN-EL15b-EN-EL15c-Rechargeable/dp/B00NXC4KCG

Hope this is of some use as a stop gap before the original batteries are back in stock.

Last edited:
I’ve been tempted by the 14-30 for so long, having something so wide in such a small (and native) package is so appealing, I just wish it was cheaper!

I’ve been tempted by the 14-30 for so long, having something so wide in such a small (and native) package is so appealing, I just wish it was cheaper!

You‘re right, it’s expensive. I wish I’d bagged one of the cheap ones from Amazon a few days ago. Most of my photos are shot around 24mm so I can have the 14-30 as my ’best’ lens and the 24-200 to cover everything else.

Last edited:
@JasonPC @chris321 The 14-30mm Amazon deal for £809 is back. You have to wait until July for delivery but hey ho. I just bagged one this time round. Something to look forward to!

Thanks. I’ve bunged an order in - saving over a hundred quid means I’m happy to wait a while. I’ve been a Prime member, and ordered an insane amount of stuff with Amazon over the years, and back orders occasionally show up earlier than expected. Here’s hoping.!

Thanks. I’ve bunged an order in - saving over a hundred quid means I’m happy to wait a while. I’ve been a Prime member, and ordered an insane amount of stuff with Amazon over the years, and back orders occasionally show up earlier than expected. Here’s hoping.!
I’m guessing based on the same deal as I got, it’ll be coming from Holland - that must be Nikon’s warehouse for the UK. Maybe waiting a while, but hope not for you. ;-)

Yeah, I’m ok with waiting. That’s £20 over efinity pricing but a UK lens.

That didn't last long! :oops: :$ Back to £1,020.54 again already.

Nikon Z6II + 24+70 F4

1/15 F4 ISO1600 Handhled

Abandoned House in Leicestershire

geVVqA0.jpg

Last edited:
So, I’m pretty happy with the 14-30 & 24-70 but need some something longer.

Current thinking is the 70-300 or the 70-200 f4 with an FTZ. 70-300 is supposed to be a great lens, relatively priced (used), so to speak. I fancy the idea of a 70-200 f4 though.

I quite fancy one or the other with an FTZ as I may go old school with a 35mm Sigma or such in the future.

Thoughts/opinions if you’ve shot both.

Mine is now due to arrive June 2nd!:banana:

So, I’m pretty happy with the 14-30 & 24-70 but need some something longer.

Current thinking is the 70-300 or the 70-200 f4 with an FTZ. 70-300 is supposed to be a great lens, relatively priced (used), so to speak. I fancy the idea of a 70-200 f4 though.

I quite fancy one or the other with an FTZ as I may go old school with a 35mm Sigma or such in the future.

Thoughts/opinions if you’ve shot both.

I've actually had two copies of the 70-200mm f/4, one when I had the D500 & D750, and one last year on the Z6. My second copy wasn't as razor sharp as my first copy so there must be some variation between copies. Loved the versatility and weight of the lens

Here are some photos taken with it on the Z6

ZSC_0529 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
ZSC_0658 2 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
ZSC_0416 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
ZSC_2258 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
ZSC_2788 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
ZSC_0474 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

I was a big fan of the Nikon 70-200f4 when I had my D750, really sharp copy. I’ve currently got the 70-300 for my Z5 and it works fine via the adapter. I much preferred the 70-200 of the two.

I was thinking about this while walking the dog this morning. I seem to have a problem with using an adapter and I don’t know why. I’ve got the 14-30 on back order but common sense says I should cancel it and get a Tamron via the adapter and save myself 500 quid. :runaway:

Back